facebook

an honest take guys rush and greek life

by: Third Year

Let me start by saying that I came to UVa with not much of an intention of joining a fraternity. First semester, I wasn't dirty rushed by any place especially hard, but went to a bunch of parties and had a good time, so I decided to rush. By the third day of rush I knew I wanted to join a fraternity. UVa does rush incredibly well, and places definitely ball out to show rushees a good time. For that reason, I truly think everyone should rush - it's the best return you'll ever get on a $30 signup fee. I ended up joining a more than respectable fraternity and absolutely love it. I have no regrets about my decisions during rush.

I think the greatest thing about UVa's greek life is second semester rush, especially for guys. What's great about it, especially compared to some SEC or Big 10 schools where you rush as soon as you get to school, is the fact that you have all of first semester to meet a bunch of friends. Then rush comes around, and you go your different ways and join different fraternities, but you still have boys in every house. I can comfortably say that I have at least a guy or two in every fraternity (or at least the ones worth going to) that I'd feel cool with hitting up to get into a party. You aren't defined by your fraternity at UVa, if you're a cool guy you'll do well socially no matter what.

Posted By: Third Year
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Third Year   

That said, my #1 piece of advice for rush is to ignore the social stigmas during rush, the conventional tier system, and judge a house on the guys you meet there and the guys they're rushing. You're gonna be spending a hell of a lot of time with these people, especially those in your pledge class, and they're the biggest factor that is going to define your greek experience, not the letters above the front door. UVa has an incredible greek dynamic that I really believe is ideal, and it has been a great part of my college experience that I've never regretted for a moment.

TLDR: Cool letters don't make guys cool, cool guys make the letters cool. Ya feel?

By: Third Year
#2  by: 1st year   

Pumped. When do we have to sign up though

By: 1st year
#3  by: Sign up   

Look up UVA ifc, and then you should be able to figure it out from there

By: Sign up

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.