facebook

considering greek life at unm

by: jarmst17

I am considering joining greek life at UNM because of the amounts of service and events that they seem to be involved with on top of how good it looks when you graduate. As a semi-involved student on campus I just want to know what might suit me best, what might be the real rankings? I am not into that whole 'party scene'.

Posted By: jarmst17
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: Lobogreek   

It really depends on your gender but a more realistic ranking for fraternities (if you are looking for criteria above):

1. ATO
1. Phi Delt
3. Sigma Chi
4. Phi Gamma (Fiji)
5. Pike

And the real rankings of sororities would be something like this:

1. Kappa Kappa
2. Chi Omega
3. Pi Phi
4. Alpha Chi

By: Lobogreek
by: Seems acurateJan 8, 2014 9:50:10 PM

This seems about right the only reason Sigma Chi could be so high is because of a house, otherwise they would be like Kappa Sigma, Looooooow numbers.

Sigma Chi is low in numbers, bad rushes maybe? Who knows

By: Seems acurate
#2  by: itsmeee   

ORDER:

Sigma Chi
FIJI
ATO
Pike
Phi Delt

Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Phi
Chi-o
A Chi O

By: itsmeee
by: Are you drunk?Jan 8, 2014 9:53:57 PM

Where did you pull this from? What a terrible list. You're putting a five start chapters at the bottom?

By: Are you drunk?
#3  by: KJ   

Did someone just put Sigma Chi as #1? lololololol

NO.

By: KJ
#4  by: KKG   

It depends on what you're looking for and what makes you determine what is number one.

ATO and Phi Delt are good for having members being active in other organizations on campus and doing philanthropy, but when it comes to holding their own events or how socially influential they are they don't do so well.

Pike on the other hand is the exact opposite, where they aren't very active for campus but socially they hold a lot of events and have a lot of social power. Whenever it comes to competitions too like greek games they usually beat out the other two above as well, because they're much more dominant in athletics.

In the middle of that though would probably be Fiji and Sigma Chi. They have a lot of guys active on campus and in organizations doing a lot (and some like you that aren't into partying), but they also have other guys that have the social aspect down as well. They basically have strength in having the most diverse types of members. They do have a lot of "partiers" though (which they've gotten in trouble for before), and you said you don't really want to get into the party scene.

Honestly it just depends on what you want. I would say just go talk to them yourself during spring rush and see what you like!

Don't leave out Lambda Chi or Kappa Sig either though. They might not be power houses like the others, but you might end up liking them the best and end up helping them become one of the most known organizations on campus!

By: KKG
#5  by: x   

I agree with KKG, although if you're not a party person I think that Chi Omega may be a better option if you get along with the girls. It's completely up to who you get along with and who you could see being friends and "brothers" or "sisters" with. I would rush and see which fits you best, and if you rush and feel like a fraternity or sorority isn't the best choice for you then you don't have to go through with pledging.

By: x
#6  by: Your Choice   

As a woman in a sorority here at UNM, going Greek can be the best decision you can make. Everyone is going to have a different opinion on what chapter you should Rush. Here are some insight on each fraternity (with rankings) and sororities without.

1) ATO - Very all around guys (Most Involved, Philanthropic, Gentlemen, Athletic, Social,Very Strong Brotherhood, Good Grades, Great balance of school and enjoying the aspects of college)
2) Phi Delt (Somewhat involved, Good Grades, Not As Social, Gentlemen, Philanthropic)
3) Sigma Chi (Great brotherhood, one thing to be known - They have been banned from Durango Resort for damages at the hotel from formal and from all Hyatt Resorts - Party a lot)
4) Phi Gamma FIJI (They are nice guys, throw good parties-in the past, very secretive, haze, they started with 20+ pledges now have 5, they are nice guys but school is not a priority)
5) Pike (School and being involved in the community is not important to them, they party a lot and haze. If you love to be a gym rat, they are perfect for you. They have a good brotherhood, and they care about one another)

Sororities:
Alpha Chi (They are a growing chapter- they a low a few year ago, strong history here at UNM, strong sisterhood)
Chi Omega (Very involved on campus, great sisterhood and well established)
Kappa Kappa Gamma (Strong sisterhood, they used to be very classy- with the recent pledge classes they have gone down but with new exec they will be better)
Pi Beta (Involved, great house

By: Your Choice
#7  by: Well...   

Well from a girl in a sorority that's been here a few years I'd say the rankings go like this.
Fraternities
1. Sigma Chi - arguable as second, but being the most consistent as top tier is why I place them there when most falter very quickly. Greek week this year will prove whether they're still top or not.
2. ATO - definitely top tier now, though questionable how long it will last. Recruitment is getting better now that they're getting diverse and recruiting people different from themselves in other words as stereotypes say "just nerds". Greek Week will also prove if they are 1 or 2 this year.
3. Phi Delt - Definitely impressive for just being a colony, but not active enough. Claim to be very involved when not as involved as they say, with members of other organizations claiming none had gone to support/participate in other fraternities philanthropies that lower tier fraternities were at(for example Zobo Dash, Fight Night, etc.)
4. Fiji- Perfect example of faltering. Were in the running to be number one this year, but in a matter of a month screwed up a lot and now can't even fully participate and win greek week.
5. Pike- Not very involved, but may improve this year. Had a large pledge class this last semester.

By: Well...
#8  by: Well...   

Sororities
Kappa- Have some issues this semester, but consistently have been good overall. We'll see whether they're actually number 1 still with this next semester.
Pi Phi- Good pledge class, shaping up to possibly win their very first greek week this year.
Alpha Chi- For having the handicap of not having a house have done very well. Still having trouble with drinking and some issues with some of their girl's social skills, but future is seeming bright so far.
Chi O- Not as involved as they should be for their size. Improving, but still huge problems with their social skills. Most greeks can't even name 5 chi o's they know.

By: Well...
#9  by: Realistic rankings   

1. Alpha Tau Omega
ATO has been very organized throughout the years which has earned them this spot. Even without a house they have proved to be a strong force here. A majority of their members are involved in other organizations and they know how to recruit, so obviously don't fix whats not broken.

2. Phi Delta Theta
Talk about strong colonization and a nice transition into a full chapter. A majority thought they wouldn't come off the ground, but put together a 20+ new member class and had 50 initiates. That in itself was impressive, within the fact they require you to be involved with another organization on campus making them probably a little more involved than the rest.

3. Sigma Chi
There numbers are small for being a traditionally powerful fraternity on campus. They still do some excellent philanthropy work and are dominant for Greek week, two years running.

4. Pi Kappa Alpha
This semesters pledge class was impressive, the second largest in all of IFC and they initiated almost all of them. Obviously things are changing which is good. They usually have a reputation for hazing, I'm hoping their new leadership can break that tradition.

5. Phi Gamma Delta
They lost their house last year, then out of nowhere they came together and found a new one, that was huge. Things were really looking up for Fiji, then they began to lose a ton of their new members and weren't so involved on. Although they arguably have one of the nicest houses on Greek row.

By: Realistic rankings
by: PleaseDec 23, 2013 12:40:27 AM

Realistic? Putting a 3 star chapter ahead of a 5 star definitely isn't. And EVERY organization by greek life requires members to be apart of other organizations. These ratings are the worst so far.

By: Please
by: RealDec 23, 2013 3:17:03 AM

Three star before five star? What are you saying. ATO is the only fraternity to have a five star rating currently and will recieve it again. I have known these gentlemen over the years and they are doing amazing things. They were the first and only colony to ever get a five star, Phi Delt couldn't even do that. I think instead of bashing peoples opinions, keep it to yourself. They shoos be able to rush who they want and figure out which house is best for them. PPL.

By: Real
by: To "real"Dec 23, 2013 6:37:03 PM

"They were the first and only colony to ever get a five star, Phi Delt couldn't even do that."

Phi Delta Theta was five star caliber last year, you fool. Colonies can not receive 5 star awards. ONLY chapters can. Get educated.

By: To "real"
#10  by: I'd always thought   

Fraternities

1. Sigma Chi
2. Phi Delt
3. ATO
4. Phi Gam
5. Pike
6. Kappa Sig

Sororities

1. Kappa
2. Pi Phi
3. Chi-O
4. Alpha Chi

By: I'd always thought

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.