facebook

low gpa

by: phi

If I have a gpa lower than 3.0 will I still get a bid from a sorority as a freshman or should I just not rush?

Posted By: phi
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: From the recruitment side   

I’m not going to lie that a GPA below 3.0 can be rough particularly for chapters that cut based on GPA, but it’s more about the potential you show them. If you give the impression that your low GPA is because you’re apathetic, that will be a major red flag for sororities because they don’t want to bring someone into their chapter who won’t pull their weight. If however, you present yourself as willing to get involved and to be active within the chapter/ community, there are sororities who will overlook the GPA. Just like college admissions, sororities care about EVERYTHING you bring to the table: activities, leadership positions, student government, instruments, athletics, service, genuine passions, and most importantly they need to see that you have potential to make their chapter better not just someone who wants the letters.

If you haven’t previously been involved, I’d recommend finding an organization on campus that you want to join and using that as a talking point- show them your intention to be involved and talk about your goals.

Every sorority member is required by the Panhellenic Council to do 10 hours of service per semester and be involved in at least one other student organization/ athletic team. If you can’t find anything in the past to talk about you can always talk about your future goals and ambitions which is WAY better than saying “well I didn’t really do anything in high school/ freshman year”.

Last thing, the minimum requirement for being in any sorority is a 2.7 GPA but chapters here will generally put you on academic probation before getting to that point. It’s not to punish you, it’s to make sure that you’re prioritizing your education.

So short answer- you don’t need perfect grades but you have to be able to show that you bring something of genuine value to the chapter.

By: From the recruitment side
#2  by: Well   

The short answer is yes and no. Because some sororities like Chi Omega have a GPA cut off of 3.5 you will automatically be cut from their system after the first round however most have a 2.5 GPA cut off and can actually take lower if you prove to be a worthy member. You can always come first semester get your GPA up and go through recruitment next fall, but I don't think a 2.5 will hinder you that much.

By: Well
by: ehJun 7, 2019 9:07:56 AM

it depends. I had a 3.3 in high school and was kept at chi omega until philanthropy round. but a higher gpa definitely helps. most chapters here recognize you are more than your gpa---or they will see right through you. if you have a low gpa, show no interest, and aren't rushing for the right reasons, you'll have a lower chance of getting in to the chapters that value that. if you have a low gpa but show interest and intention--that can go a long way for any chapter! I would try to rush if I were you--it can't hurt.

By: eh

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.