facebook

My Experience as a WOC

by: Honest

To start this off, I knew that a lot of sororities were historically white and based off of christian/catholic ideals. I don’t have a problem with this and joined a sorority with an open mind. My experience has been overall okay. I’ve met some great people and have loved supporting my philanthropy. My only problem is the lack of DEI involvement. A lot of girls from my sorority and other sororities don’t approach me or interact with me because of how I look. My sorority doesn’t really educate our members or talk about diversity months and holidays. We don’t even do much in the ”inclusion” aspect of DEI. I hope that sororities will realize the importance of DEI sooner rather than later. And that DEI doesn’t just benefit people of color, it benefits the entire group. I’m not asking for “woke” Instagram posts and infographics, I just want someone of a sorority exec board to Google “DEI activities and ideas” like once a semester.

Posted By: Honest
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Same girl   

I completely feel you on this. But I beg you to NOT drop your sorority because of this and I encourage any other WOC going through recruitment to not let this discourage you. We deserve a space in Greek life, but things cannot get better if we don’t choose to participate and say something about this.

By: Same girl

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.