facebook

should i go here?

by: HS Junior

Hey, idk if here is really the place to post this but I'm a high school junior from CT looking to go to college out west. My parents aren't too keen on the idea but they've agreed to let me apply to three colleges in the west: one reach (UC Santa Barbara), one mid-range (U of San Diego), and one safety. I'm currently between U of Arizona, San Diego State, and UC Santa Cruz for my safety and, since I can't visit the schools in person before I apply, I was wondering if anyone on here could tell me some key differences between the three. Maybe you considered a few of them or have friends in other schools etc.

All three schools have similar quality academic programs for the majors I'm interested in and I've done a lot of research on their websites and sites like Princeton review. I'm really just here looking for you to tell me some of the key social differences and the "vibe" of the schools, stuff you can't really get from more "official" websites.

I'm ideally looking for a school with a pretty laid back environment and a more supportive than competitive environment. I think I'd like a party school, but I can't really see myself going out on weeknights. Definitely weekends though. That being said, I'm definitely more of a stoner than a drinker and would ideally want a social scene that reflects that. I'm fine with an alcohol dominated social scene, as long as there's a significant amount of weed too. I'm also looking for a strong Greek system and community. I plan to join a sorority, and would ideally want one that is supportive academically and socially, but is still fairly laid back, goes to good parties, and is decently liked by fraternities.

Anyways, if you can give me any insight on life here compared to the other two schools, it would be much appreciated. Additionally, if you know of any other schools that fit my description of an ideal school, feel free to lmk. Also, if you know of any other sites where I might get more/better responses for a question like this lmk. Greekrank is just kinda the only "college forum" type site I know of. Thanks :)

Posted By: HS Junior
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: No   

UCSC is great if you're really chill and more of a smoker than a drinker/rager. All three of your "safety schools" actually have much better reputations than USD. USD is a safety but I would recommend picking another school because you would have to compete with SDSU and UCSD.
UCSB for parties all the time, UCSC for chill parties answer sdsu for a mix, ASU OR U OF A as your safety school.

By: No
by: OPMay 23, 2018 2:25:51 PM

Thanks!!

By: OP
#2  by: Lost boys    

Well said

By: Lost boys
#3  by: Realistic   

All schools have what you're asking for. Focus more on getting into the best academic school for your major and saving money. Looking for a college that smokes more than it drinks is just an awful thinking.

By: Realistic

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.