facebook

sorority housing

by: Just Wondering

Does anyone know the real reason why sororities do not have houses? And will they ever get houses ever?

Posted By: Just Wondering
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: you must be new   

this has been discussed at length. the bottom line is that sororities have never and will never build houses.

By: you must be new
#2  by: Guest   

The nationals did research. Decided there weren't enough financial resources in the Alumnae base to afford building house.

By: Guest
by: MJKAug 18, 2015 1:47:07 PM

Heard the same. All other rumors are BS.

By: MJK
#3  by: Not true   

The money has never been a problem at all. Auburn University has it in their bylaws to not have sorority houses due to safety reasons. If they were going to build houses it would have needed to have happened years ago, now there truly are more safety issue, especially off campus in this day and time. (A majority would want to live in an apartment after sophomore year anyway.) Financially there probably is not much difference in paying for a house or an apartment, but upkeep and security of a house would be a big concern. The sorority dorms are nice, not as elegant as a house, but when you graduate you are not asked to keep donating money for a house.

By: Not true
by: TrueAug 19, 2015 7:38:25 AM

This is what I have heard and I think that this was discussed at a freshman forum for the parents when we came to a meeting last year. Personally, I feel like having an apartment is so much better than living in a sorority house. It would be difficult living around 80 + girls all the time and no break. (Love my "sisters" but sorry, not 24/7!)

By: True
#4  by: Auburn native   

This was a while back. Apparently some extremely wealthy old lady promised to donate millions of dollars to AU if they wouldn't let the Sorrorities have houses. She was very religious and viewed the idea of sorority houses to be similar to brothels. In order for Auburn to accept her money they had to guarantee to prevent Sorrorities from having there own houses for a certain ammount of years.

By: Auburn native
by: rumorAug 19, 2015 4:31:02 AM

only...there just never has been a need to have the houses due to safety restrictions and now, although it sounds fun, the need for sorority houses has never been pushed. I don't care, I'd much rather have an apartment and some privacy than live with 80 girls in a house. The town house type houses are fine. My sister went to another college and lived in the sorority house and she barely graduated there was so much going on all the time.

By: rumor
by: AlumAug 19, 2015 8:51:04 AM

The old lady donation story is a legend. No truth. Don't get the safety angle either. Many schools do it very successfully and it is a wonderful experience to live in the houses. It really does short change the AU Greek experience.

By: Alum
by: @AlumAug 19, 2015 12:54:13 PM

I think the idea of having a house is nice, but putting it into effect and paying for it at todays prices plus finding property (which is very expensive) can be cost prohibitive. Most girls I know think it would be fun to have a house, but like the posters above have mentioned, those I know prefer having an apartment. I know some girls like living in the townhouse dorm rooms the entire time, but I love living in an apartment. All the sororities nationals have house corporations that can carry loans from a sorority to build, but I also agree with the safety issues. You have to have a house mother or someone who takes turns staying at the house, you have to be secure and there's a lot of responsibility in just those two factors.

By: @Alum

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.