facebook

sorority houses

by: PossibleRushee

I've heard that there are no sorority houses on campus at Auburn. If that's true, then why? And how do y'all all get together?

Posted By: PossibleRushee
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Guest   

The brothel story is BS. There isn't enough money at Auburn to afford houses.

By: Guest
by: em.Dec 14, 2013 11:51:50 PM

There would be plenty of money to build sorority houses if we didn't spend every penny on athletics. Donahue? Tons of money. Donahue's kitchen that's going across the street? Tons of money. New REC Center? Tons of money. Auburn could build sorority houses if they really wanted to. I think space is the problem. Where would the houses go? Greek row?

By: em.
by: YDec 26, 2013 12:58:30 AM

^ all or chapters at ole miss houses are paid for by their nationals, not the school. I've heard the brothel story too though. But not very school is like Alabama and has the machine and the school to pay for 40,000 sq foot sorority mansions. The village makes the most sense for space anyway. If we don't have enough room to let all freshmen live on campus we don't have room for sorority houses.

By: Y
by: XOOct 14, 2014 7:08:24 AM

I've heard all of the stories but understand that money was the real issue.

By: XO
by: GeezOct 24, 2014 9:22:28 AM

Schools don't pay for sorority houses. The sororities and nationals do through a housing corporation. It is a fact that several nationals thought there population at Auburn would not be able to afford the dues with houses.

By: Geez
by: AOPOct 28, 2014 12:24:24 PM

I heard it was a money issue, too.

By: AOP
#2  by: WPS love   

At Arkansas there are several new sorority and fraternity chapters saving to build houses. The chapter comes up with some of the money, nationals some of it, and the university a small part of it. Most of the cost is mortgaed and payed for by future sorority dues. I hope to see Auburn get houses soon. There is so much more to haveing a house then living in it. It is about the sisterhood that happens between in or out of house girls anytime they get together there and having a headquarters that is all your own. It also symbolizes your sororities presence on campus.

By: WPS love
#3  by: Voted in   

Voted in by Auburn panhellenic to promote equality amongst the sororities

By: Voted in
#4  by: Truth   

IF you take time to look up the question, you'll find the answer: The myth is actually false, said Kim Trupp, director of housing and residence of Auburn.
“There is no stipulation that hinders sororities from having houses on the Auburn campus,” Trupp said.
Historically speaking, myths are often coupled with tradition, so it is not surprising to hear this off-spun fable spread by word-of-mouth communication .Knowing they are not bound by a contract established by an old lady with a large dowry, sororities may or may not decide to remain on campus in the future. (From The Auburn Plainsman)
Read more: The Auburn Plainsman

By: Truth
#5  by: True   

There is no stipulation about the houses and if ALL the sororities wanted to move they could bring it to a vote. Colleges DO NOT PAY for ANY sorority or fraternity houses... that becomes the alumni and that particular National situation alone if they decide to build. I have no idea where the property comes from, but I would assume it means buying space or leasing. To be somewhere for only 4 years, it becomes a lot of money to owe for a chapter and can become a big burden. I would love a house, but the dues are great since we do not pay for a house.

By: True
#6  by: Panhel   

Auburn Panhellenic took a vote to decide that it was best for Greek Life at Auburn if the sororities stayed on campus, 1) to increase involvement, visibility, and relationships with campus 2) to promote equality among the houses, so that one is not visibly ahead of others, or can compete unfairly due to the obvious presence of money through a nicer house or what have you. 3) Catherine Cooper Cater does donate a lot of money to the school and does have a strong desire for there to be no houses, because of the aforementioned equality 4) The brothel laws in Lee County are actually a real thing, look it up.

By: Panhel
by: MainOct 30, 2014 11:21:50 AM

The main thing is, Auburn Greek Life doesn't work like it does at most school. Most sororities are fairly similar, and cannot obviously be set apart by money, status, or the size or appearance of their house. It also gives girls who would not otherwise be able to afford sorority life the opportunity to be involved in it.

By: Main
by: MKNov 6, 2014 10:16:49 AM

So, it really is a money issue.

By: MK
by: Only real issueNov 6, 2014 12:27:36 PM

is that there is not any property for houses to be built on that would not cost a lot of money. (Property would have to be bought since they are not the responsibility of the school and therefore insurance would also fall on the chapter.) If they had done so 50-60 years ago as some other colleges did, the cost would have been much smaller. To put millions of dollars to buy and then build a large house is a lot to put on a group that will only be there is that sororities could buy property and build a house if they wanted to. A girl could then live there for 2-4 years, pay a large monthly payment and that chapter would continue to owe that huge amount for many, many years and many, many pledge classes to come, which would, in today's time be unrealistic. Many colleges have town houses for their sororities and the college has it on their own property and is responsible for the upkeep. It's the way to go really. The fraternities are the main ones with parties, so if you want to party...find a fraternity house or someone's apartment. Most sorority houses have strict rules that I have visited so it all comes out even in the long run.

By: Only real issue
#7  by: PNM '16   

So there are no sorority houses at Auburn? I wasn't aware of that. Hopefully, they'll get to build some, but I'm guessing I'll miss out on that.

By: PNM '16
#8  by: adpi   

Auburn panhellenic has had plenty of opportunities to build sororities houses, sorority nationals have been willing to help pay. However, the university and our panhellenic system agreed to just keep the dorms. It makes dues cheaper and is literally almost the same as a sorority house. We all still have kitchens, chapter rooms, bedrooms, and living rooms on the hall, so it is literally exactly the same minus the personal chef and meal plan.

By: adpi
#9  by: Atlantamom   

There are no sorority houses at Clemson U either. Or fraternity. Just dorms, like Auburn. It's in the school charter. I thought it was going to matter, but it doesn't. Really makes it fun to get to know all Greeks. And much cheaper to join.....

By: Atlantamom
#10  by: bumppp   

bumppppppp

By: bumppp

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.