facebook

fraternity rankings 2012

by: Frat Attack

High Tier:

AEPi-high numbers, good parties, and they've finally gotten their lawsuit figured out.

SigNu- high numbers, decent parties, but have a great reputation among sororities.

SigEp-new house, decent numbers. can suffer from douchebag syndrome, but in general are popular with sororities and are involved.

SigChi- slipping, but in general are strong. parties are ok, brothers take greek life way too seriously, but can be seen as a hybrid between a professional and social fraternity. unpopular with other greek organizations because of a perceived arrogance.

Mid Tier

TKE-moving into a new house, decent numbers. parties are consistently average, and brothers are hit or miss. have potential this year to grow, and have pretty good campus presence.

Theta Chi-have a large mansion right across the street from campus, decent numbers. crazy parties, but somewhat uninvolved in greek life and kind of do their own thing. campus presence is improving.

Delta Sig- decent to strong numbers. good parties. another fraternity that kind of does their own thing and is popular with sororities, but lacks campus presence.

Theta Xi- decent numbers, but their 3 houses are very far from campus. very polarizing, either you love or hate these guys. parties are hit or miss, if you can get to them. nasty hazing rumors, but very involved in greek life.

To be continued...

Posted By: Frat Attack
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: Frat Attack   

Low Tier:

Pike- understandably a controversial ranking, but Pike has many problems that havn't been fixed in the past few years. Their house is small, after having been thrown out of their old house (that is now AEPi), they can't seem to shake the rumors of their drinks being spiked, and they just overall have a creepy reputation. they possess a top house mentality, but it's difficulty to justify. they are losing numbers quickly, their parties are not very fun, and they just seem to be on the decline. another fraternity with nasty hazing rumors also.

Chi Phi- small numbers, but they have a nice house on Russell. they kind of do their own thing in Greek Life. definitely a "nicer" group of guys, and are generally well liked by the Greek community. unfortunately, they have difficulty recruiting and are barely treading water as it stands.

Delta Chi- decent numbers, but brothers are in general socially awkward. parties reflect this, and are also commonly not very fun. somewhat involved in greek life, but easily overshadowed by other more dominant fraternities. again, similar to Chi Phi in the sense that they just seem to be treading water.

SAM-Small and uninvolved. Still, they are a nice group of guys, even if they lack campus presence. Some of the weirder guys have graduated, so we'll see if they can recreate their image.

Any other fraternity not listed is irrelevant.

By: Frat Attack
by: Frat AttackSep 5, 2012 4:08:01 PM

While no list can be perfectly objective, I'd like to make the case that this list is as unbiased and fair as can be reasonably expected on this website.

As far as my own background, I am a recent graduate of UCD from a fraternity on this list. I have been well involved in greek life since my freshman year, and I would like to see Greek Life become stronger as a whole. However, it's important for fraternities (as well as potential pledges) to be well aware of each houses' strengths and shortcomings so that UCD Greek Life does not continue to stagnate. Many houses have changed over the past 4 years, some more than others, some in good ways and some in bad ways. Best of luck with Rush!

#2  by: Frat Attack   

Finally, general trends of Greek Organizations. Fraternities that are trending upward have shown general improvement over the past few years, as a result of strong leadership, increased participation and campus presence, growth in house influence, or a mixture of other positive traits. This list is not making a judgement in absolute terms of the strength of the house, but rather whether they seem to be getting stronger or not.

Upward:

AEPi-again, the lawsuit has been a drag on them for the past two years. they were a strong house before, and I believe with that out of the way they will continue to only get stronger. leadership and organization of the house is superb.

TKE-with their new house, TKE has an opportunity to really take off. they may have been somewhat restricted by their old house before, which was somewhat small, so we will see what happens this fall.

Theta Chi- This house has changed rapidly in a very short period of time, and a few years ago I (and others in Greek Life) were certain that these guys would be gone by now. Their campus presence has improved dramatically since I was a freshman, and they seem to be taking a lot more risks when it comes to events and decision making, which may or may not be a good thing. Numbers last year supposedly doubled in size (which isn't saying too much, because they were small), but was a surprise to me considering their history. Worth keeping an eye on.

by: Frat AttackSep 5, 2012 4:38:04 PM

Downward:

Sigma Chi- As stated before, they are slipping. They still take Greek Life as seriously as ever, but they don't win the awards they try so desperately to win anymore. Let me repeat, these guys are not a weak house and historically they have not been. But, if I compare them to the Sigma Chi I knew when I was a freshman, they just aren't as dominant anymore.

Pike- Again, serious problems that aren't being addressed are dragging Pike into the bottom tier. They need a PR boost badly because as of now their image is just killing them. And as everyone in Greek Life knows, image does count for a lot.

Theta Xi- Another house that was unbelievably dominant back in the late 2000's, but just doesn't seem to have the same influence that they used to anymore. Their decline hasn't been as abrupt as Pike's, but it's been a slow slip that has gone unnoticed by even them. The top house complex (see a pattern?) could be preventing them from fixing their problems, which are a combination of PR, campus presence, and to a lesser extent, numbers.

#3  by: Reply   

I like your top tier I just think sigma chi is refocusing... Their new generation is trying to differentiate itself from its former,arrogant senior class.

By: Reply
by: JokeeeeeeSep 6, 2012 2:04:40 AM

That's a joke have you not seen the arrogant self rates they've posted on their page lately? There's a reason why no one likes sigma chi in the greek system.

By: Jokeeeeee
#4  by: Honestly   

I somewhat agree with these rankings. However, I think there needs to be some adjustments. If we take into account EVERY possible factor, these rankings seem accurate to some degree. But really, how many people in Greek Life care about House of the Year? And most money raised for an event? Answer: No one. Sure, these are important, but if you're a potential new member you should be looking at houses that are "cool" (strong sorority relations), have strong brotherhood, and rising. These factors will serve as the basis of my rankings and opinions. Next, I will refute some of the initial rankings.

Sigma Nu and Sigma Chi are middle tier. They have great brotherhood and are arguably rising, but their sorority relations are NOT strong. Not many girls get excited to go to their exchanges, and are lacking in terms of attractiveness. Also, it's been said they will accept almost anyone who rushes, and they lack a traditional pledge process.

Theta Chi has not been popular in the past few years. They have an awesome house, but they lack numbers. Brotherhood has diminshed, and sororities do not usually associate themselves with them. I want to say they are lower middle tier/low tier.

Houses that need to be added to top tier: Pike, Theta Xi, and Delta Sig if they get a new house. Pike has had an awful reputation in the past, but their new members are making a turn for the better. With a new house and older "creepy" guys graduated, their future seems good. Continued...

By: Honestly
by: Frat AttackSep 5, 2012 5:47:35 PM

See, I would agree with Pike and Theta Xi being top tier a few years ago. But the simple reality is that they havn't maintained their former dominance. They've become complacent resting on the shoulders of former giants, and that's opened up holes for other Greek organizations to fill. I think most people can agree with that.

The problem I see from a lot of people is that there is an unwillingness to acknowledge that every fraternity and sorority is an entirely different house every 4 years. The same "rankings" that I see on this website were the same ones that were espoused 4 years ago, and that's not how Greek organizations work. Some rise, some fall. And yes, while I do think that the rankings aren't a complete reversal from 4 years ago, they have absolutely changed.

Simply put, there's not a lot to suggest that Theta Xi and Pike should be top tier, other than the fact that they "used" to be top tier. That's not enough for these rankings.\n\n\n\n\n

#5  by: Honestly   

Theta Xi has 3 houses that are relatively far away, but that shouldn't be a huge deciding factor. They hold open parties every now and then, and plenty of exchanges. I agree with the polarizing idea, you either love or hate these guys. Some of the members look like they don't belong, but the majority of them are very popular among sororities. Bottom line, these guys sticking around for a while. Delta Sig shares similar qualities with Pike and Theta Xi: Sororities love them and they have great brotherhood. Unfortunately, they lost their house, and I have yet to hear of a centralized location. As of now, they are on a slow decline. Pike, Theta Xi, and Delta Sig represent the stereotype of fraternity life. And it is arguably loads of fun. It's just up to you to keep your academics in check.

Now for the rankings:

Top Tier:
AEPi
Sig Ep
Pike
Theta Xi

Middle Tier:
Delta Sig
Sigma Nu
Sigma Chi
TKE

Bottom Tier:
Chi Phi
Delta Chi
SAM

by: AgreeSep 5, 2012 7:33:41 PM

I agree with everything Frat Attack said but this is probably the most accurate ranking. Pike and Theta Xi are slipping but there's noway they're bottom if they're hanging out with DGs and APhis.

By: Agree
#6  by: Honestly   

I see where you're getting that idea from, and that's respectable. From a social point, however, I still believe Delta Sig (given they get a house), Pike, and Theta Xi have dominance in that area. AEPi as well. As stated earlier by Agree, it's difficult to say these fraternities are bottom tier when they are frequently associated with houses like Delta Gamma and Alpha Phi. So long as they maintain excellent sorority relations, that should keep them high middle tier/top tier.

I will also agree they rely on past glory, and that that alone is not enough to be considered a top house. And while they haven't been able to maintain their past glory in their recent years, I believe we will see a surge of involvement from these fraternities that will put them on a rise, and definitely keep them within top tier range. The apathy seen in these fraternities have most likely vanished with the graduation of last year's seniors, for it's those people who have most relied on past glory with their involvement during 2008-2009.

On a side note, it is very peculiar the amount of attention Sigma Chi is receiving on the ratings board and the recent negative comments posted about Sig Ep. Sig Ep is actually a great fraternity that's high middle/top tier, above Sigma Chi. If anyone is looking for genuinley honest opinions, they should be looking through the discussions. Better than that would be to stop using this site and actually see for yourself what people have to say. Hope this helps.

#7  by: tricky   

i like these rankings a lot, even if I disagree with a few of them.

i don't know if I would put Pike bottom tier because they do still hang out with some good sororities, but yes they aren't top tier anymore. i agree they've really fallen back in the past few years.

sigma chi, like a lot of people have stated, is probably not top tier anymore. maybe a few years ago, but it takes more than just having a history of winning awards. they've seemingly gotten more annoying over the past few years, despite being less influential and getting smaller.

i'm actually interested by what you said about theta chi, and to an extent I agree. when I was a freshman, they were absolute garbage and pretty much a joke fraternity. but i see them a lot more on campus and i've been told they initiated 10 or 11 guys in winter and spring when most of us are lucky to even get a couple pledges. not saying they deserve to be top tier, obviously they aren't. but it's interesting to see that i'm not the only person who feels like theta chi is making a move.

By: tricky
#8  by: z   

sigma nu is middle tier, sigma chi is top tier, AEPi is high middle maybe. Pike is low middle, maybe.

otherwise, I agree mostly.

By: z
#9  by: perfect   

these are the best rankings on this site right now. I strongly encourage new rushees to take this list into consideration.

By: perfect
#10  by: bruh=pike   

bruh is obviously some pike spike trying to make his house look better than it is.

these are as close as it gets to accurate.

By: bruh=pike

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.