facebook

basic?

by: Rushee

I love the idea of sisterhood, but I don't want to turn into one of those girls who post about their sorority/glitter/big-littles 24/7 and and can come off as shallow/basic/ditzy a lot of the time (even if they aren't). I have friends from HS who are this way and it really turns me off to rushing. I care about social status to a certain extent(sorry) and don't want to be in a bottom house, although if it happens I will accept it and try to make the most of it. (Also please don't reply telling me not to rush if I only want to be in a top house. A huge part of greek life is the social aspect, and if I'm paying lots of $ I don't want to miss out.) I don't want to be seen as/become who is vapid or an airhead, but I know a lot of times that happens. Are there a good amount of girls who aren't this way?

Posted By: Rushee
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: hi   

just wanted to say that for the most part chapters are all equally social. every sorority has a semi formal/ formal each year, 1 date party each semester, and a few exchanges a semester. the "reputation" of the house won't increase or decrease the social aspect.

By: hi
by: rusheeJan 17, 2016 6:57:27 PM

respectfully disagree

By: rushee
by: seniorJan 18, 2016 2:26:52 AM

how so? considering the fact that you are a "rushee" i am quite interested in how you think you know so much about greek life.

By: senior
#2  by: rushee   

Not just formally social. The "top" houses are generally made up of more socially popular individuals, greek life aside. You can have the same number of mixers and formals but have very different social lives outside of the sorority, and a lot of the people you meet and interact with in greek life can affect that. You don't have to already be in a sorority to see that.

By: rushee
by: seniorJan 19, 2016 9:26:08 PM

if you're going to bring in social lives outside of the sorority, then i don't think that you can really compare that to the social reputation of the house. I know some girls that are in "popular houses" that are really pretty, but aside from their looks, they don't have a top tier attitude. They don't go out at all on the weekends, don't like to drink or go to mixers with frats, go home on the weekends, etc. I think if you're a pretty social person to begin with then it won't matter what sorority you're in because every sorority here has party girls that like to go out multiple nights a week. being in greek life in general is going to give you more connections on campus. you don't need to be in the "top" house to find social connections at marquette. this isn't a big ten school

By: senior
by: sororitymomJan 24, 2016 5:35:57 PM

Well Rushee - it sounds as if you have already made your choice. I wish you the best of luck. I am the mom of an MU Greek and I myself am in a sorority. I come from a family with 15 women in different sororities in campuses all over the US. So, I believe I have a legitimate point of view. If you really looked at each sorority you would see that they each have a diverse group of women. Some pretty, some not so pretty, some skinny, some not so skinny, some partiers, some stay ins. The one thing other than diversity of the group that all of the MU chapters have in common is that the women are smart. You can't get into MU if you are an idiot. If you approach Recruitment with the notion that top tier is what you want, you will be disappointed. Really now, who determines who is top tier - the frat boys? Really? Go through Recruitment with an open mind. See who you connect with at the events. Don't listen to the tent talk, and trust the process. You will end up where you are supposed to be. Good luck.

By: sororitymom

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.