facebook

question about prefs

by: Bids?

Let's say house A has 50 spots to place. I REALLY want house A, place them number 1, and they place me number 55. 6-7 don't accept their bid, leaving me the spot.
House B, I rank #2, and they rank me in their top 10.
Where would I place?

Posted By: Bids?
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: .   

I believe house A

By: .
#2  by: ca gal   

You would be given a bid to the house that you ranked #1. Since they did not place 6-7 women from their first list , they would offer bids to the first 6-7 women on their second list.

By: ca gal
#3  by: Yep   

Posters above have it right. You'd get your first choice.

Way it works: Computer picks ideal quota number that places the most women. Let's say it's 85. Each chapter submitted a list of PNMs in rank order. Computer matches all women who were Top 85 at their first choice. Boom! Those bids are matched. Let's say at House ABC, 20 of their Top 85 match their top choice elsewhere. That opens up 20 more spots for House ABC, so the computer sees if any of the next 20 women on the list put ABC first. And on and on. As chapters "fill up" (they match enough PNMs to hit quota) then the computer starts looking for other places to put PNMs who had put ABC first, moving to their second choice. Are they then in the top chunk of their second choice house? Then great, they match there! If they are also too low on second choice's list, then the computer tries to match with third choice.

In the event all chapters fill up through the computer's iterations and a PNM remains unpaired, if she maximized her options, she can be a Quota Addition and get added to one of her pref houses with priority on her first choice. She will never know she was a QA.

By: Yep
by: YES!Aug 25, 2015 1:04:54 PM

This is correct information for all PMNs about the bid matching process. Please don't be upset if you get your 2nd or 3rd choice. you may end up anywhere on there bid lists. This happened to a former roommate of mine. She refused to attend the bid day celebration at the chapter that offered her a bid. I think looking back she regrets her choice that day to only focus on her top choice.

By: YES!
by: YepAug 25, 2015 1:06:13 PM

Also: this is the upside of maximizing your options.

Panhellenic will encourage you to maximize your options. They know that most women can make it work and be happy in any house because every chapter is great. They also hate having to make phone calls telling people they didn't get a bid. By maximizing your options, the quota addition path remains open to you.

By: Yep
#4  by: Confused   

if you only have 2 houses and you maximize your options. Do you put your first choice first or would you put it second to have a better chance as far as the system works.

By: Confused
by: Ack!Aug 25, 2015 3:08:55 PM

Oh no under no circumstances is listing your favorite house second going to help you! Computer will try to match you with your first choice first, and won't even try to match you to second choice until first house is full.

You not only wouldn't game the system, you'd probably match to the house you listed first (but wanted second). Don't do this, rank them like you like them.

By: Ack!
#5  by: Honesty   

Be honest and don't try to game the system. Put your first choice first because if both chapters are full before they get to your name you would be a quota addition most likely to your first choice.

By: Honesty
#6  by: PrefDelema   

Wait, if 6-7 don't accept their bid? That puts you at bid day and beyond the point in which your bid can change. If you mean don't sign their card after prefs then, yes

By: PrefDelema
#7  by: DISCOUTS   

christian louboutin cheap cheap michael kors christian louboutin outlet The Nasdaq composite rose or 0 cheap oakleys cheap christian louboutin christian louboutin cheap border last summer, sparking a political crisis in the United States cheap michel kors bags cheap christian louboutin shoes cheap christian louboutin shoes s a good chance you michael kors handbags outlet christian louboutin outlet oakleys outlet The ship, which docked in San Pedro early in the day, will undergo a deep cleaning before embarking on its next voyage Sunday night, Lomax said michael kors outlet cheap christian louboutin shoes cheap christian louboutin outlet

By: DISCOUTS

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.