facebook

sorority questions

by: curious

Hello! I'm planning to rush this fall, and I had a couple questions.

1. Is it hard to receive a bid to a sorority?
2. Is there hazing? If so, how intense is it?
3. On average, how much do dues cost?

Thanks so much! :)

Posted By: curious
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: A   

1) 800 to 900 girls rushed last year in the fall. Usually they're freshmen or sophomores, but of course there are also juniors and a few seniors. Around 200 to 250 girls get bids. That number is pretty discouraging in terms of percentage, but don't worry, several girls drop out during the recruitment process because they don't get invited back to the sorority they want (so they leave and come back in the spring, or next fall) or because they don't think Greek life is for them. If you want to be in a sorority and you stick through the entire process, you're almost guaranteed to get into one. Plus, if you're friendly, nice, and make a good impression, you're sure to get into a great sorority! If you're not any of those things, well...you'll get into Kappa or Theta.

2) AEPhi, DPhiE, and APhiZ haze. The rest of the chapters do not. Keep that in mind if you rush - some girls don't mind hazing, some do, so it's whatever you prefer. The hazing is very, very intense and dangerous - taking 7 shots and running up 15 flights of stairs in heels, being dropped off in Harlem with no phone or wallet at 4 AM, etc.

3) Dues vary from chapter to chapter. The locals are cheaper. It ranges from $400ish to $600ish a semester for nationals.This is because some chapters include the price of formal & semi-formal tickets (as well as things like composite photos & other misc things) in their dues and some do not. As a result, all the dues for the national sororities pretty much even out at the end.

By: A
#2  by: A   

Rushing, of course, is free, so my attitude towards it was that it didn't hurt to give it a try and if you don't like it you can always drop out! On the other hand, if you never try it, you'll never know what you're missing. I found that joining a sorority at NYU defied all my expectations and broke all the stereotypes of Greek life that I had heard my whole life - it's been an amazing experience and I can't imagine life at NYU without my sisters!

By: A
#3  by: wondering   

Thanks so much for all of your help!! :)

By: wondering
#4  by: Greeklife    

First of all...as a junior very involved with recruitment in the fall, I can say we had around 600 girls who rushed and the amount of girls taken depends on the number of girls who went to Pref night. Not every girl get s a bid, because sometimes they don't fit with any organization. It's equally as hard to get into any organization. It depends if they want you.

As far as hazing goes, I can vouch and say a majority do not. The local sororities can do whatever they want because they are not governed by a national headquarters. (No one wants to have happen to them what happened to AST.)

Dues depend entirely on the organization. There are fees that need to be paid to nationals and then the rest is budgeted to use for the year. Locals can charge whatever they want because they again, are not governed.

Every sorority is different. You can't say some are better than the others because that is just how you define an organization. If you want partying and boys and whatever, then look for that in a sorority. If you want sisterhood, look for that. Others will say some suck and some don't because its how they define what a good sorority is. Look for what you want, and you will find it.

By: Greeklife
#5  by: DunnoMuch   

All I know is AST dues were $300 this semester. ... God dammit, I wish our dues were that low.

By: DunnoMuch
#6  by: extrainfo   

like someone else said, rushing is free so i say go for it. i was a bit hesitant at first about literally the whole greek life thing but it was one of the best decisions ive made at NYU. be less concerned about how many girls get into a sorority and more about finding which girls you click with best and what YOU want from the experience. we want you just as much as you want us!
as far as hazing aephi, dphie and aphiz are the only ones who haze (and ive heard some scary things, to be honest). ast had a thing two years ago but it wasnt hazing it was just some dummies already in the sorority who messed with national rules (and federal laws too haha). basically all but the three i listed dont haze (and anyone who says that you need to be hazed to really feel apart of greek life is crazy).
and as far as dues, they'll be more pricey your first semester but they go down so don't freak out when you first see them!! i heard ast had really low ones too and some of the bigger organizations paid way more but besides those its usually between $400-$600 I'd say! Good luck rushing!

By: extrainfo
#7  by: WishfulJunior   

Hey guys! I'm going to be a junior next year, and I was wondering: say I rushed and got into the sorority of my choice. Would I have trouble fitting in as a Junior? I really wish I had rushed earlier on, and I feel like I've missed out on so much but I definitely want an honest opinion on whether or not it would be strange to be the odd junior rushing/ if this would impact my greek experience a lot.

By: WishfulJunior
#8  by: m   

To WishfulJunior:

NYU isn't as intense as other Greek systems, so bids are still given out to juniors in most chapters. I've been in Greek life for three years and I can tell you that juniors definitely do get bids. If you really click with one chapter, age isn't going to stop them from giving you a bid!

Check out the Sorority Sugar Tumblr's FAQ section for tips on how to navigate the recruitment process! GreekRank won't let me post the link but you can Google it. The site has really good advice for juniors and seniors who want to rush.

By: m

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.