facebook

Why do you think Greek life at Miami is dying?

by: Oxford’s favorite

Title says it all. Just looking to start an open conversation

Posted By: Oxford’s favorite
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: I Think    

I don’t think it’s dying we had more pnms this year than any other year! But I do see a lot of drops. The reason is we put bad leaders and bad chapters as “top”. They remain exclusive refusing to social or anything with what they deem “bottom” and pnm’s see this and drop. If we had better leaders less narcissistic our community top to bottom would thrive.

By: I Think
by: PointApr 10, 2024 8:07:35 AM

I don’t think it’s dying, but what people need to realize is that there is no “bottom”. Each chapter here is different. Different isn’t bad - just different. I think we should do more to celebrate what each chapter is good at. each national org is looking for something different in its new members based on what they believe makes for a successful chapter and future leaders. Support all Greek organizations, not just your little circle. Love one another.

By: Point
#2  by: honest opinion   

The office of fraternity and sorority life does not do enough to encourage the chapters to mix and meet each other. Greek life at Miami is like facebook - there is a built in "algorithm" to make sure you continue to mix with the same chapters you always mix with and never get out of your bubble. OFSL needs to create some event in the spring and some event in the fall to get different chapters to work together. Greek Week and ACROPOLIS aren't doing it.

Honestly more should be done to encourage women and men to join weaker recruiting chapters. A rising tide raises all ships and when one of us fails, we all fail. It’s never good to lose a chapter because of numbers. Maybe with Miami it really is a "daddy's money" issue and most of the students here think they deserve the absolute best, so any chapter that is just "mid" is not good enough. That's a problem. And this site doesn't help.

By: honest opinion
by: SiteMar 14, 2024 5:51:57 PM

This site is a symptom of the above. If the mixers were all over you would see entirety rise and become quite competitive overall. All the girls/guys dropping would stay and all would rise. Again, you have secret GroupMe invites and others social nonsense. It’s our inability to self police and the leaders in place are really not leaders. Pnms very much come in aware of who socials with who and who does not. If that stopped Miami Greek would be huge.

By: Site
by: YupApr 3, 2024 7:50:36 PM

Panhell and IFC need to do something if the office of Greek life won’t. And if panhell and IFC leadership won’t it’s time for a whole new set of leaders from different chapters.

By: Yup
#3  by: Dis   

Read this site and you’ll see why Greek life at Miami is failing. Girls and guys tearing others down to make themselves look better. Rush is a joke with some sororities already decided before rush even officially begins. It may be popular to go Greek but it is failing for sure

By: Dis
by: Obvy Mar 14, 2024 8:19:48 PM

Well if you are a thinking person what would be the odds of getting entire friend groups getting in the same sorority if it wasn’t decided in advance. I think this year one chapter got five girls in the same friend group. Again, it’s real easy to prove because if it’s truly a blind recruitment you don’t see entire friend groups going to the same chapter. And to push it to over four or five in that friend group really narrows the odds. These chapters either decided in advanced or had a group of people decide and just vote down other girls without truly giving them a chance.

By: Obvy
by: ^Mar 18, 2024 6:19:42 PM

Tbh not sure why we even bother with recruitment anymore. I think we should just save everyone time and money and host a tik tok dance off with the best filtered girlies winning. Then you see them in person lol.

By: ^
#4  by: Ouch   

Bumping this because of all the GBD ranks. This site isn’t just a symptom it’s also part of the problem. Maryland removed Greek life indefinitely. Don’t think that if we continue this bad behavior that the same won’t happen to us.

By: Ouch
by: ^ This Mar 24, 2024 12:29:49 PM

I agree with this but would like to correct one part. Like people at Miami seem to think that this Chicago, Boston, New York, Wisconsin group that come here are “daddy’s money” and somehow affluent. Just so you know actual affluent people from these areas do not send their kids to an Ohio public school. They are the opposite. Mid people with no clout and they come here and play pretend. Trust me those with actual clout are at Northwestern, University of Wisconsin, Northeastern, Notre Dame, Ithaca… really so many other choices than an Ohio public school. They don’t have any resources that’s why they are here. But I do agree they know each other from high school or it’s based on how many followers (or bots) they have on socials. It’s not money, looks, rich at all.

By: ^ This
by: EhMar 24, 2024 5:23:38 PM

Nah, “No” had it right completely down to the last detail. If you think there’s not a lot of wealth concentrated at Miami you’re wrong. If they’re playing “pretend”, it’s solely a distinction between “rich” and “wealthy”.

By: Eh
by: Facts Mar 24, 2024 9:07:16 PM

lol why do you think that because they say “I have purse” with fake Gucci. The comment said “daddy’s money” no one from out of state is daddy’s money. That’s wealth. For the Ohio kids Miami is actually the most expensive in state school and that’s where the money is. The out of state kids are actually here cause it’s cheap for them. They can’t afford or can’t get into their respective state schools. This is the cheapest option for them. It’s just the opposite. We are a state funded public school and we aren’t even the most competitive for state schools. So let’s stop with the rich Chicago/wisconsin/new York kids with daddy money cause that’s just not true. But I too agree with the comment.

By: Facts
by: ^Mar 24, 2024 9:37:25 PM

But it’s a red herring discussion and I agree with above that no one from any of these big cities that are rich or wealthy are intentionally sending their kid here. Regardless back on topic these “top tier” sorority do decide in advance and it’s solely on socials and follower count and who someone knows.

#5  by: Bruh   

Has anyone noticed pi Phi flooding the ranks? Already can peg them as drama like damn this is an important topic and they’re trying to bury it with rankings jeeze. It’s just frustrating because I’m so glad people are finally talking about this

By: Bruh
#6  by: Bump    

This is a discussion we need to keep having bump this don’t bury it

By: Bump
#7  by: Pathetic   

You guys really got “No”‘s comment taken down when they were 100% right calling out every facet of what’s wrong with the Greek System at Miami. If anyone has a screenshot of it or could paraphrase it NEEDS to be reposted because they were dead on the money and if you disagree you’re part of the issue.

By: Pathetic
by: thisMar 26, 2024 4:40:27 PM

Wow that’s weird that it got taken down cause I agree it was spot on

By: this
by: AndMar 26, 2024 7:42:17 PM

Basically don’t even bother rushing if you think you have a chance to get into any of the top 4. It’s already decided before you even start. And rightly pointed out (those comments still there) it’s not on money and daddy golfing (they would like you to think that but they just aren’t really aren’t wealthy just loser kids from those cities playing pretend) it’s on insta clout and who knows who (not in a wealth sense just high school sense). I know quite a few girls and their families own most of northeast Ohio get into a “bottom tier”. So don’t be fooled into thinking it’s money, it’s not. It’s just who your friends with period. Now, I also know those girls to be humble and don’t make insta posts about their clout so again if you play pretend on insta you may get in. Like someone said above, not sure why they even bother with recruitment anymore.

By: And
by: WowMar 26, 2024 8:41:10 PM

“Don’t even bother rushing”

You’re part of the problem

By: Wow
by: ^Mar 26, 2024 9:05:49 PM

Ok well if you read the chain to which you are responding we are discussing a now deleted comment that was saying don’t bother recruitment if you’re the type that will only take top or quit because it’s already been decided before it begins. Most of it is out of your control and has nothing to do with recruitment

#8  by: sandbag   

Greek life is a shell of its former self at Miami. Kids join bc they think it looks good on a resume and expect way more from it than they're willing to put towards it. Parents pay the kids' chapter dues and so there's no ownership stake for them either. And then there's the housing problem that Miami created with frat exemptions where guys join just to not live in dorms and then upperlcassmen annexes rule the scene. It's a self-destructive formula that alums want no part of, especially by punk kids that despise alumni involvement... hello, remember your resume builder. Overall, the most entitlement culture created by parents and the university not to mention many other orgs to be involved with that offer great leadership development. Greek life can be but is more crowded out than ever and incompatible with inclusivity when so much time is spent comparing to others and dinging people

By: sandbag
by: Opposite Apr 10, 2024 8:46:15 AM

I would never put any Greek affiliations and leadership on a resume. Right now you have racism scandals that WILL come to light. I know people are writing politicians etc about that issue right now to put it in the forefront this election year. Intentional biased exclusions of some chapters based on high school I’m better than you stuff and hot girls. Those exclusions go both ways. Be careful of people you treat badly mysteriously getting those internships for some fraternities in finance are getting hard. Some people learn the hard way that we aren’t in high school anymore and your behavior matters. Regardless, putting Greek affiliations on your resume isn’t really a good idea

By: Opposite
#9  by: wise   

Bc Miami's Greek office is full of very content people that are just collecting a paycheck. They may care but know their place and understand they can't rock the boat or they'll be sent packing. Crawford also hates Greeks and comes from a schools where its never been. Also the university has an alum return problem where they don't come visit regularly for sports, homecoming and whatnot. Out of sight out of mind

By: wise
by: TBHMar 28, 2024 1:47:40 PM

I simple mandatory one social for each sorority or rotate it yearly. Much like they force pnm’s to go meet one another. Like tbh the girls all look the same. Some are a better representation of women than others but most recognize and don’t fall pray to the insta fantasy filters that the top tiers chase.

By: TBH
#10  by: This discussion    

Chi O with the self ranks trying to bury an important discussion

By: This discussion
by: Yeah noApr 9, 2024 1:44:37 PM

It’s a completely different chapter spamming this site with “official ranks”.

By: Yeah no
by: ^Apr 10, 2024 8:56:55 AM

Oh let me guess you have it all figured out with your official who is spamming the site information. Sorry I look at most ranks I see so many different chapters moving up and down. Since DG moved down axo, dz, theta, zeta, kappa, axid, adpi, aoii, tridelt, chio you name it everyone can be “spamming the site” because this year everything changed. You do realize nothing on this site is real right. Just thought I would help you get past the delulu stage.

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.