facebook

A Word of Advice: Do Not Rush

by: Advice

To anyone considering rushing a fraternity or sorority,

I am a recent alum that served on the e-board of one of the big three fraternities. I’m here to tell you; no matter what kind of peer pressure you might be feeling, do not rush.

Speaking from my time in the real world, I can assure you that your Greek letters mean absolutely nothing once you graduate. Even with regard to networking it doesn’t help much, if at all. You’re better off networking with successful people regardless of their affiliation.

Colgate has its problems, but a significant majority of them are directly attributable to the Greek system and the systemic harms it perpetrates. Is it worth it to pay thousands of dollars to a national organization that wants nothing more than your money, all so you can maintain a false sense of security and superiority? Is it worth it, after everything we’ve been through with the pandemic and the reckoning over systemic racism, to continue to perpetuate the harms that Greek organizations are directly responsible for?

I’ve been out of Colgate for some time and with every alumni I’ve spoken to, they regret their Greek experiences. It might not feel that way, but all it takes to rectify this is to simply not rush and listen to some predatory national organization that has no vested interest in your well-being or safety.

Do yourself a favor and don’t put up with it anymore.

Posted By: Advice
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: alum   

so are you a "recent alum", or have you "been out of Colgate for some time". Worry less about the Greek system and more about your miserable sense of self worth

By: alum
by: SomeoneOct 1, 2021 10:42:29 AM

Talk about missing, and proving, the point…

By: Someone
#2  by: lol   

having transferred to colgate from a big 12 school let me assure you that colgate doesnt have greek life

By: lol
#3  by: Cornell Chad   

Word of advice:

Don’t go to Colgate. It’s full of losers and incels

By: Cornell Chad

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.