facebook

sorority extension

by: so

So how did the sorority extension presentations go?

Posted By: so
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: drake   

It's going to be Theta!

By: drake
by: PnmMar 1, 2016 2:18:18 PM

When will it be officially announced?

By: Pnm
#2  by: drake   

It already has been. They announced it today

By: drake
#3  by: re:    

Well good, I think they'll mesh really well

By: re:
#4  by: house   

Did they say anything about when they're planning on building a house?

By: house
by: AFAIKMar 6, 2016 11:10:46 PM

AFAIK, there is nowhere left on east campus to build a house. You could theoretically cram something small into the driveway between Phi Sig and Psi Ups and then snaking behind both of them, but it would suck. There really is nowhere else unless the Institute were to knock down one of their buildings (such as where the crappy OIT building behind Beta is). Any other options for a house would have to either be in a random parking lot on the far north end of campus or north of 10th St. A house that separated from the others would make formal recruitment very difficult.

East campus can't realistically support more houses. Any new greek houses would have to be somewhere else (likely north of 10th or in what is currently a north campus parking lot). This would include a permanent home for Alpha Phi, a home for the new sorority, and a permanent home for any new fraternity that reaches a size capable of supporting a house.

By: AFAIK
by: ^Mar 7, 2016 6:12:58 AM

Wrong. When Hug Architects came up with the plan for Alpha Phi's house they also did a site plan for campus. There are several lots available, including next to Phi Sig towards Tech Square, across from Kappa Sig and several more

By: ^
by: Really?Mar 7, 2016 10:01:15 PM

Yes, I suppose you could fit a small narrow house, about the size of the Psi Ups house behind Phi Sig right next to the freeway, facing 5th St.

Lots of master plans have called for something to be built at the corner of 6th and Fowler across from Kappa Sig. Have you actually looked at that site? It's insanely sloped. I guess you could build something really small and shallow right along Fowler at the bottom of the hill. Building something on the top of the hill would be aesthetically awful as it would both basically be in the outfield of the softball stadium, it would also loom imposingly over the outfield of the baseball field and the 6th & Fowler intersection. The site is also an important stormwater field as it is one of the lowest points on east campus and all the stormwater from 6th street and both directions on Fowler as well as the softball field and its associated parking lots gets funneled down to massive storm drains on the west side of the 6th & Fowler intersection.

There is room to build another house off the alley behind DTD and across the alley from Phi Mu - however, I suspect that that location would be a non-starter because it is likely owned by DTD and does not have street access.

By: Really?
by: wellMar 8, 2016 4:10:01 PM

It's doable, leveling and drainage, etc etc would have to be part of the plan, and there are other lots available. We'll see what happens but Theta will have to start building a house ASAP if they want to be successful.

By: well
by: LocationsMar 13, 2016 3:05:02 PM

Alpha Phi will be receiving the parking lot by ADpi as their pernament location, barring unexpected barriers.

Theta will be constructing a house behind Phi Sig in the parking lot facing 5th St.

Future lots include between ZBT and Ksig which will be a new E51 parking lot next year. There are also plans for three lots on 6th street.

In addition the lot between Phi Tau and Delta Sig may be used as another location. As all these lots are owned by the Board of Regents the chapters would own the houses but not the land.

No current church group, fraternity, or sorority has plans to sell land.

By: Locations
#5  by: question   

There have been lots of threads about which sororities would fit in well here. For example someone in this thread said that theta will mesh really well here. Just wondering, what are you guys basing that on? Is theta really well funded or something? Like what makes them a good option?

I'm not hating on theta at all, please don't interpret it that way. The only reason I'm picking out theta is that they were selected. What makes any house a good option, I guess is a better way to phrase it. What criteria do you look at when deciding whether a given sorority will mesh well with the existing sororities?

By: question
by: wellMar 6, 2016 5:59:27 PM

There are a lot of things to consider, how many colonies the sorority currently has in-progress/planned, if they can support another one, if they can handle the financial commitment (for example we will most likely NEVER have a group like Theta Phi Alpha, who is primarily at niche schools with no housing), what they offer to the current greek community, how good their actual presentation is, if they have alumnae support in the area, if they have any close chapters, relative strength of those chapters, strength of the national overall.

By: well

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.