facebook

a warning and a word of advice

by: Senior

With recruitment coming up in just a few days, I wanted to post this in the hopes that it might reach any PNMs who need to hear this and help them avoid my mistakes.

When I was a freshman, I had my heart set on three houses I considered to be top houses. I based my opinions off of what others said and I made the mistake of reading this website too.

I didn't end up getting a bid from any of those houses. In fact, I didn't get a bid anywhere, because I dropped out of recruitment before it was over. I didn't give any other houses a chance. I spent my freshman year watching all of my friends and everyone I knew enjoying their freshman year in their sorority.

Come sophomore year, I went through rush again. This time I kept most of the "top houses" through rush and ended up preffing at one of them and getting a bid there. At first I was elated because I had finally gotten what I wanted. But then I realized that it wasn't all that it was cracked up to be.

I felt like I didn't really fit in. It was hard to bond with my pledge class since they were all mostly freshmen. I realized there was a lot of negativity and cliquishness in my chapter. And I started to wonder if I'd made a mistake.

-continued-

Posted By: Senior
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Senior   

Now I'm a senior and I still can't shake the feeling that I didn't make the right decision. I often wonder if I'd be happier if I had just stuck with recruitment as a freshman and given the other houses that did want me a chance.

Instead I got so caught up in shallow things like reputation and prestige (or what I thought at the time) that I allowed it to get in the way of the most important thing: finding a place where I feel like I belong and can develop lifelong friendships.

I'm grateful to my sorority for many things, but if I could do it all over again, I would have done things differently. To any PNMs reading this, PLEASE remember this when you're going through rush next week. Don't focus on the shallow things, and if a house drops you, it's just meant to be that way. Don't worry about it and focus on the houses that invited you back, because that's where you will find your home!

I know I just practically wrote a novel but I really hope that this can help someone out there!

By: Senior
#2  by: Hello   

definitely something to think about

By: Hello

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.