facebook

complicated sorority situation

by: Future greek woman

Long story short. I am going to be a female engineering major starting at GA Southern.

The only houses that over lap are Phi Mu, ZTA and ADPi which are "top" houses at Southern. I plan to be in a sorority all 4 years but I know that plenty of girls aren't as involved JR/SR. Basically I am trying to figure out if I should just focus in houses there based on tranferring? Are houses here (mainly those 3) accepting of upper classmen transfers? Are only girls in lower years very involved?

Posted By: Future greek woman
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: GT   

At Tech, 3rd and 4th years in every house are still very much involved in their chapters.
Yes, all those houses would certainly consider you as a transfer member, but you would need to reach out to the house and get to know each other a bit first to make sure that affiliating would be a good fit.
Keep in mind that you may or may not be offered a bid at one of those three 'overlapping' sororities at Southern. And if you join a house at Southern solely based on your assumption of transferring then you may not really fit in there and could be unhappy.
You should join a chapter at Southern that YOU really like and feel at home; after all, you may or may not be admitted to Tech as a transfer, and you might not be a good fit at your transfer house here - there is no way to tell.
I hope it works out for you. Tech is a great school and all our sororities are very strong. If you transferred as an unaffiliated 2nd year you could certainly rush here.

By: GT
#2  by: Honestly   

If you won't be here until junior year, I'd say you should just rush at Southern and join whichever chapter you fit with best. If it's adpi, zta, or phi mu great, maybe you can reaffiliate here. If it's a different chapter, I wouldn't worry about it.

The thing is, you will get the best sorority experience by bonding with the freshmen in your pledge class while you are a freshman. If you come here as a junior and rush, your pledge class will be majority freshmen and you will find it much harder to connect with them. I rushed as a sophomore and even then, it was harder to get close with my pledge class because they all lived in freshman dorms together, had classes together, etc. and I didn't.

Also, while some chapters take upperclassmen, it's pretty rare. In my sorority, there are usually a few sophomores and maybe one junior in the freshman pledge class.

If you do affiliate then that is awesome, but it's not going to be the end of the world if you join a chapter that's not here at Tech. Honestly some juniors/seniors aren't as involved, and it might be harder to get to know girls that late in the game because they will have been together for a few years already. Overall I think it's better to enjoy your sorority experience at Southern then to try and force yourself to join a chapter that you can affiliate with here, or to wait until you get here to rush.

Sorry for how long this is but I hope it helps!

By: Honestly
#3  by: Future greek woman   

Thanks ladies! That is all great advice! It is encouraging to get such helpful and friendly messages. The REP program lets you start at a variety of schools with a basic guarantee (obviously only if you take the right courses and make the min GPA) of getting to transfer to GT, UGA, KSU, Southern or Mercer. Obvously Tech is the best school to graduate from but I could want to stay or even change majors all around. Anything could change in 2 years! To be honest I am starting to regret my choice a little bit because I got into both schools. But I have reasons good enough for me :)

By: Future greek woman
#4  by: To OP   

So do not let that rude girl (who is probabbly some guy in his 40s who never even went to college) get to you. You do you! My brother did the very same thing. The REP Southern to Tech. He graduated 3 years ago, has a great life and had a great time being a Pike at both schools!

By: To OP
#5  by: To OP   

So do not let that rude girl (who is probabbly some guy in his 40s who never even went to college) get to you. You do you! My brother did the very same thing. The REP Southern to Tech. He graduated 3 years ago, has a great life and had a great time being a Pike at both schools!

By: To OP
#6  by: Lol   

Pike isn't good at any school on GA

By: Lol

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.