facebook

alpha phi/phi tau house

by: Gpb

What's going to happen to Alpha Phi's current house once they're in the new one they're building?
Also, when is phi tau allowed to come back on campus / how will that work if they even do?

Posted By: Gpb
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Deez   

Alpha Phi is just leasing it, so they'll move out after the new one is built. Phi Tau was suspended for 5 years but they'll probably never come back. They're just going to lease their house until they get their money back.

By: Deez
by: reApr 19, 2016 10:17:02 PM

Where are you getting 5 years from? The Technique article said until May 2017 which is 3 years.

By: re
#2  by: re:   

Phi Tau could also sell it to another group, fraternity or sorority. Maybe Alpha Phi put their plans on hold to build and intend to buy Phi Tau?

By: re:
#3  by: y'all are clueless   

Alpha Phi just broke ground on their new house today.

Phi Tau still owes ~$1.2 million on the house. It's unlikely they sell, it will be leased to another group till they come back. Phi Tau has enough alumni support to come back to campus and when Tech looks to add a fraternity again they will be the first ones asked. So as to set and keep precedent for current fraternities on campus. Likely recolonization by Fall 18.

By: y'all are clueless
by: yikesApr 16, 2016 10:02:05 PM

Fall 18 still seems way too soon considering why they were kicked off and all the negativity they brought to the school. There are enough fraternities already for a school of our size.

By: yikes
by: ?Apr 17, 2016 6:24:32 AM

Alpha Phi just broke ground on their house where?

By: ?
by: FWIWApr 21, 2016 11:43:19 AM

FWIW, these are the fraternities that were kicked off in the last 2 decades and when they came back. Keep in mind however, that none of them got the negative press that Phi Tau did and none of them had just built a new house that they owed a bunch of money on.

Delta Sig - kicked off spring 1998, recolonized fall 2001
ZBT - kicked off spring 1998, recolonized fall 2002
SAE - kicked off spring 2000, recolonized fall 2005 (I can only find news articles regarding them being suspended in 1995, but i'm pretty sure they were briefly back after that)
Chi Phi - kicked off fall 2002, recolonized fall 2004
Beta - Suspended Spring 2012, partially reinstated fall 2013, fully reinstated fall 2014

If I'm correct in that SAE was kicked off twice in 5 years, then a Phi Tau suspension from Spring 2014 to Fall 2018 would come in slightly lighter than what they got. I think a Fall 2019 recolonization would be more appropriate and match what SAE got (under a much more greek-friendly regime).

By: FWIW

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.