facebook

best day of my life but....

by: Happy.

Last month I was accepted on Early decision and today everything was finalized with finances and my parents. I will be at Columbia this fall, a dream I've had since first visiting NYC on a field trip in 7th grade. The thing is I'm from South (Atlanta). I'm not at all what the rest of the country thinks of southern girls. I just want to know if this would count against me? Also recs are very important here but I don't have connections in the majority of your organizations. Any advice would be wonderful.

Posted By: Happy.
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Since you got in...   

You probably have what is takes to join. We don't take tiers seriously here. Just understand you might be coming from being a big fish in a small pond to a small fish in a big lake. Don't be fake, don't try to impress anyone with BS. Greek life isn't huge here but it is growing and I love being a part of it. Also don't sweat the recommendations Best of luck you will love it here!

By: Since you got in...
#2  by: congratulations   

First and foremost, do NOT post identifying information about yourself on here. Saying where you are from is not smart. Yes, there will probably be others from Atlanta, but that wasn't a smart move. Nobody wants to admit they go on Greekrank (even though everyone does). So, go through rush. Being from the south won't hurt you. We love people from everywhere. Welcome to Columbia!

By: congratulations
by: OPJan 20, 2016 2:55:53 PM

Thank you!! I know that wasn't the smartest move. I just know so little about the Greek scene in the north, let alone at an Ivy. No hate towards where I come from but I'd rather cut off a finger than join a southern sorority. I'm assuming that at a school like this that tiers really don't matter and the people who go Greek do it for positive reasons. I do not want to just make drinking buddies who would stab me in the back. Would that be correct?

By: OP
#3  by: TN   

You shouldn't worry I'm from Tennessee and I've had a very positive experience in Greek life. Also if you don't find your best fit, there so much more to get involved with.

By: TN
#4  by: sorriso   

Hey :) congrats on becoming a baby lion!!! The south obviously has its stigmas and stereotypes but no more so than other regions of the country. Some of my best friends at Columbia are from the south (Oklahoma, Louisiana, Florida...) and they are also some of my favorite people ever! You'll be totally fine, honestly Columbia is so diverse that the south will definitely not seem so far and culturally foreign when everyone else is from Vietnam, Nigeria, Australia, etc...

By: sorriso
by: OPJan 22, 2016 6:52:02 PM

Thanks :) I hadn't thought about it like that. I know how diverse New York and Ivy's are.. I guess it's just the bubble I grew up in and all of the girls in my HS going to SEC school babbling about " new rush wardrobes", recruitment coaches (yes this is a very real and sad thing), and other nonsense. Done posting you girls are awesome!

#5  by: REALITY   

This is a very competitive school. It might not be about football, cheerleading and sororities. But if you think this is a low-key place, you are going to be in for a big shocker. People are super competitive about internships, grades, connections etc. The Greek System is pretty mellow and mostly about partying and building friendships. But this school is intense.

By: REALITY
by: @RealityJan 23, 2016 1:22:11 AM

Lay off. She wouldn't if been accepted if she didn't know how to work hard.

By: @Reality
by: ^Jan 23, 2016 7:57:44 PM

yeah but she went on and on about how bad it is where she came from. if she thinks she is going to move here and find that people aren't hard core, and very cutthroat she might be in for a big surprise.

By: ^
by: OPJan 24, 2016 10:12:20 AM

I clearly meant sorority recruitment being hard core/ cutthroat, not the school work or competition. I care about my grades and accomplishments that can advance my career in the future. Much more than having my hair the perfect shade of blonde and being surrounded by closed minded group thinkers. That is all.

#6  by: Oh honey   

We save our claws for academics, awards and internships. I can't believe recruitment coaches are a real thing...

By: Oh honey

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.