facebook

tips for sorority rushing in spring?

by: helpls

I am nervous/anxious and any tips would be appreciated! ty

Posted By: helpls
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: in a sorority   

Don't drop out of recruitment if you want to join a sorority and the one you wanted cut you. If you want to be a part of Greek Life period, you should finish the process.

A lot of girls have a mentality that they "belong" in a certain house (I was one of these girls) and then that house cuts them. This can be due to "rankings" or just because you thought this one house was a better fit than the other. Either way, I highly recommend that you don't quit the process.

In my personal experience, the sorority I wanted was "ranked" below the one I ended up joining, but I thought that I didn't really vibe with/fit the stereotypes of the sorority I joined. However, I knew I wanted to be in Greek Life and of what was left, this was the best fit. I've had a really great experience with my Chapter and met some of my closest friends through it, and even though it wasn't my top choice, this was the chapter that wanted me.

During rush, you're talking to only a small fraction of the girls in a house- I promise every single sorority has such a wide range of girls that even though every sorority has their own unique "personality," you will find your people no matter what sorority you join. The idea of "fit" is supposed to help you decide between Chapters, but don't let it make you give up Greek Life as a whole.

Also, as a word of advice for people who drop out of recruitment with plans to rush again as a sophomore to get into the houses that cut them: rushing as a sophomore is significantly harder, because freshman are preferred over you, you're competing against a lot of the current sister's closest non-Greek friends, and there is a stigma over girls who dropped out of rush (ie. stuck up, thinks their better than the sororities that actually wanted them last year). I really recommend you stay away from it. That Chapter didn't want you the first time, and even though there are a few exceptions, they probably won't want you next year.

I'm not going to lie, there are a lot of harsh cuts with sorority recruitment, and I think a lot of people are unprepared for it. Some people do have perfect rush experiences, but the majority face some type of rejection. My advice is just to decide whether or not you want Greek Life during rush, and if the answer is yes, to finish the process.

Also, a note in terms of rankings. They definitely exist. Ie. certain fraternities don't mix with certain sororities. Just remember that your letters will not close any doors to you; they will just give you more opportunities to meet people. I don't want to lie and say ranking doesn't exist, but there are girls in lower tier sororities who are best friends with top tier sorority girls and frat boys. Like I said before, your letters do not change who you are and your ability to run in certain circles. The rankings only exist within the realm of Greek Life, not Columbia in general.

Other than that, just be nice and don't be fake, be yourself.

By: in a sorority

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.