facebook

Help please No hate

by: worried pnm

I have some super close friends in a top house. I’ve heard for a year how they can’t wait for me to go through recruitment and join them. Well my final gpa will be 3.2 or almost. I thought it would be 3.4 or more but our grades haven’t moved due to everything going on this year. Now my friends are telling me to trust the system, all houses are great, and on and on. I asked if it was my grades why they’re saying that now all of a sudden and they say no of course not they just want me to have my own experience with recruitment. So now I’m asking - does anyone get in kappa/ChiO/PiPhi with a 3.2 and are they acting like that because actives can’t be seen as recruiting pnms right now or is it my gpa even though they say no? That’s the only thing that’s changed.

Posted By: worried pnm
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: No   

Only girls who get into top sororities with that low of a gpa are legacies with a lot of connections. You still probably have a chance of getting in a top house but I wouldn’t bet on it. You shouldn’t join a sorority just because all your friends are in it. Take their advice and have your OWN rush experience.

By: No
#2  by: reality    

Stand on your own merits, not on "super close" friends.

By: reality
#3  by: Greek    

Sounds like they are sending you a bit of a warning, that they may not be able to pull hard enough for you to get a bid. I’m sure they will try, but with so many great PNMs going through each year with high GPA’s, with your low grades it may be much harder to pull you through.

By: Greek
#4  by: nope   

Kappa- you’ll be cut
ChiO- you’ll be cut
PiPhi- you’ll be cut

You didn’t ask but Zeta will cut for grades below 3.2. Good news is all houses are great and you’ll be fine wherever you end up.

By: nope
by: IMO May 18, 2020 9:28:43 PM

I am guessing Zeta will cut harder for grades this next recruitment. They had some cute girls this past pledge class for sure but also they brought down their gpa.

By: IMO
by: whatMay 19, 2020 7:22:02 PM

zeta also cuts at 3.4 automatically, doesn't matter the circumstance. i've been a member all 4 years of college

By: what
by: To whatMay 23, 2020 10:00:05 AM

Not true. I know a girl that was given a bid last year below the 3.4 gpa. She was a legacy but she did have below the 3.4. I know this because she was in my group, wanted zeta and told us several times her gpa was below 3.4 and was worried she would get cut. She had zeta on bid day!

By: To what
#5  by: Pi Phi   

Pi Phi will cut you even if you are a legacy with less than a 3.4. The other two took several non legacies with GPAs under a 3.4 last year. But they were super connected to girls on the inside. You may have a chance if your friends are in one of those two.

By: Pi Phi
#6  by: :-)   

You might have a chance if those girls are REALLY your friends and push really hard for you, otherwise the rest of the house will see that and say “oh there’s plenty of girls like her but with higher GPAs” you need to make sure you can REALLY trust these girls as your friends, and even then, don’t get your hopes too incredibly high up. All houses ARE great but I understand the disappointment of being cut too!! Good luck!!

By: :-)
#7  by: advice    

wherever you land, give it a chance. there are girls just like you in every house. i know you obviously have your heart set on being with your friends but do your best to keep an open mind throughout the process. good luck!

By: advice
#8  by: @worried    

It’s never a bad thing being given an opportunity to expand your social circle and add to your group of “super close friends.” Please see this as an opportunity for personal expansion and growth for the next few years, which is really what college should be about anyway.

By: @worried
#9  by: grade risk   

The top houses have a few "grade risks" that they can take each year. I don't know how many there are, but these spots are usually taken by legacies with lower than a 3.4. The actives have to really campaign hard for their sorority to take a "grade risk". They have to be a able to say why she has a low gpa-for example, she has a learning disability, she had a rough time in school because of some unforeseen circumstance (like a family emergency) or maybe she went to a really hard school and was taking difficult classes. They have to go to their academic advisor or executive committee and ask for a "special dispensation"-basically they have to vouch for the girl and say that they will help her make her grades. If their sorority pledges this girl, it looks bad on them if the girl doesn't make her grades or has a low gpa and pulls the chapter gpa down. So, what I'm trying to say is that it can be done, but it is not likely. Just go in with an open mind and a good attitude!

By: grade risk

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.