facebook

greek life

by: curious

Is greeklife even important here? Are the sororities as good as the ones at UofA?

Posted By: curious
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: curious   

So is the greek system not even strong? Like sisterhoods don't matter and big little week is smaller and recruitment is less extravagant and things like that?

By: curious
#2  by: lol   

Do the sororities make tshirts for EVERYTHING like they do at uofa lol

By: lol
by: .Jun 30, 2013 7:26:21 PM

yes. so do fraternities.

By: .
#3  by: Me   

ASU greek life is a really small presence for the most part. It's not like a lot of schools where the social scene revolves around greek life. Still worth joining though.

By: Me
#4  by: What...?   

First of all, @Honest you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. All sororities on campus do great things. I'm not arguing that all sorority girls are amazing and are perfect but that doesn't mean that it's all one sorority's fault. In fact, all sororities on campus have girls who have done bad things. You're opinion is completely skewed and it's very unfair for you to pick out one sorority due to jealousy or hatred. You obviously have no met the girls or even tried to.

To answer the original question, ASU may not seem to have the biggest greek life due to 70,000 people attending the school (the largest university in the country) so of course, greek life percentage will seem very insignificant. If you put into factor all the students who commute and do not live on campus or barely have any involvement at ASU, you will understand that greek life is larger than you think once you walk around campus (especially Tempe campus). So although the numbers and percentages do not add up to a lot, that does not mean greek life is insignificant at ASU. In fact, the number of girls that rushed sororities in Fall '12 were almost the same as the amount of girls that rushed sororities at Mizzou, which is considered to have a large greek life. Just put all that into perspective when you decide to rush or hear rumors.

By: What...?
#5  by: Queef   

None of the sororities or fraternities have houses. Does that answer your question?

By: Queef
#6  by: wondering   

So they don't matter?

By: wondering
by: TruthJul 2, 2013 12:13:15 AM

I wouldn't say that. Going greek is certainly worth doing, it's just important to note that unlike a lot of big state schools, fraternities/sororities in no way dominate the social scene at ASU. They're a chunk of it, but tens of thousands of students manage to enjoy the #1 party school in the world with no greek affiliation. That being said, definitely go through recruitment, you won't regret it.

By: Truth
#7  by: Yes   

Basically if you're a girl and you're attending ASU, I would reccommend joining a sorority...GDI girls at ASU are god awful and once you go out, you will know exactly what i'm saying. If you want to be around/apart of something at ASU to make you feel like you're not just some student in the largest university in the country, definitely give rushing a shot. You'll find a sorority that fits you perfectly and meeting people becomes a whole lot easier. Trust me.

By: Yes
#8  by: Intheknow   

I don't know what you mean by "important" Greek Life at ASU is small in comparison to other schools. Being Greek will help you interview for jobs (Greeks interview better because of recruitment) and will help you network for the rest of your life. A lot of folks will hire Greeks because of the time management skills you learn being Greek. You will also have a lot of opportunities to be a leader and to participate in philanthropies when you are Greek.

I don't know what you mean by the second question. Greek Life at UofA is completely different then ASU. I would say it is much more traditional in nature at UofA then at ASU. What I can tell you is that sororities every where tend to do the same things and have the same events.

As far as Honest, well, he or she isn't. Go through recruitment and find out for yourself where you fit. I wouldn't take to heart any thing that is put on this website. A lot of it is just not true or accurate.

By: Intheknow
#9  by: well   

Let's be real. If you're looking for the classic Greek experience with mansions, cut-throat recruitment and unquestioned campus dominance, ASU is DEFINITELY not the place to go. Also, don't expect being Greek to carry you through life (after all this isn't the south, no matter how many people here try to pretend it is).

However, if you join, you'll be creating unbreakable bonds that will last a lifetime. You'll never feel alone, which is easy to do in such a big school, and you'll feel like you're part of something. I'd never trade the experience for anything and would do it all over again given the choice.

By: well
by: GuyJul 8, 2013 11:50:57 AM

Greek life can give you advantages no matter where you live.

By: Guy

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.