facebook

fall sorority rush

by: New Coog

I'm considering going through rush in the fall and I have some questions.
How does Rush work? You attend several parties on one day, how long are they and how is it organized?
How is quota set? Is there a place for everyone that goes through rush?
As a freshman, I don't know anyone in any of the sororities, will that make a difference, or do they only extend bids to students they know.
Do all of the sororities require recommendations?
Thanks for your advice.

Posted By: New Coog
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: To New Coog   

Hi New coog! For starters, Welcome to UH \\n/! There are tons of videos on YouTube about sorority recruitment, but I'll definitely answer your questions for you.

Q1: yes you are right, you do visit several houses, but it's spread out over 4 days (3 rounds: day 1-2 is sisterhood round, day 3 is philanthropy, day 4 is pref)
Q2: the length of time you're at each house gets longer as the rounds continue because you'll be going to less and less houses (all house for sisterhood, max of 4 for philanthropy, max of 2 for pref)
Q3: quota changes year to year, it's pretty much determined how many girls go through
Q4:of course! All of the girls will be together getting ready for recruitment or waiting for their rounds to start (tip: talk to as many people as you can, they could be your new sisters, or a great friend in a different sorority)
Q5: and of course not! But that's what recruitment is for, you'll talk to several girls during the process, you'll get to know them and they'll get to know you. There will also be events leading up to recruitment where you can talk to members of the sororities and ask questions!
Q6: although recs aren't necessarily needed it never hurts to get one!

For more detailed answers, you can contact a Panhellenic member (just google UH Panhellenic and you'll find the website) and follow the Panhellenic pages on social media to get a closer look at the sororities and to get excited!! Good luck! I hope I answered your questions for you!! :)

By: To New Coog
by: New CoogJun 24, 2015 3:57:15 PM

Thank you for responding so quickly!
One more question, I'm not from Houston and will be living in a dorm, is there transportation to the houses or do you walk? Or is there parking available?

By: New Coog
by: To new coog's replyJun 24, 2015 8:04:59 PM

Apparently I can reply to a reply lol but Sisterhood round will be at the UC, so you can walk over. The other rounds will be at bayou oaks so you can either walk, catch the shuttle or ride with friends. There should be parking for you!

By: To new coog's reply
#2  by: Promogirl   

YOU SHOULD GO TO A ALUMNAE PANHELLENIC AND GET A REC!!!! UH always tells girls that they don't need recs. Recs get you a second look. Most chapters can't release a PNM after first round if she has a verified REC. And alumnae panhellenics give out scholarships to PNM's that register with them. Do yourself a favor, find an alum panhellenic, register, get recs and then find your FOREVER SISTERHOOD. And remember, pick who YOU like, not the girl that you just met in your rho chi group or that someone else tells you to. Sorority is for LIFE not just college. You need to pick people that you will like today and love in 10 years.

By: Promogirl

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.