facebook

how much did being in a sorority cost you yearly?

by: pnm

Like total cost: dues, clothes, Uber’s, misc

Posted By: pnm
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: sororitys   

Dues differ from sorority to sorority-
Dues are around $400 more or less per semester, they give you all this info at the info nights before recruitment begins and in a little booklet for recruitment
Almost none of the clothing is required to buy unless it’s for maybe a philanthropy event or recruitment as a sister but T-shirt’s are always being made for sororities or philanthropy events- if u can’t afford them just skip them
Uber’s come down to you and how much you plan on going out- jmu also has a bunch of student drivers that will sober you for like $5 but there is also safe rides which is a student run organization that will drive you for free!

By: sororitys
by: :) Jul 21, 2018 9:55:51 AM

^ safe rides is definitely a good bet! It's free, and you know you aren't getting in the car with a rando. The only thing to remember is to call WAY ahead of time because they usually get crazy wait times on the weekends

By: :)
#2  by: I laughed    

My sorority dues this year came out to like $900 I think and I probably spent around $800 on going out clothing/sorority sweatshirts/dresses for dps. Sober rides > Uber but sometimes u can snag a ride for free from a pledge

By: I laughed
#3  by: ?   

If I had to guess, sorority dues (after your new member period- your first semester is hella expensive but it goes down after that), most are around $400-ish. My sorority's dues included philanthropy tickets, so I didn't have to pay to go to any other organization's philanthropy events, but depending on what you all want to go to you might want to plan to around $5-$10 an event, and I went to an event every week to two weeks, but some people hardly go at all.

I LOVE the t-shirts, but I also buy them off of other sisters second hand so they are cheaper. Most of the shirts that aren't included with our dues cost between $8-$20, and it was totally up to you if you wanted to buy them. Letters are more expensive though, and I spent $25ish on a long sleeve, and $35 on a sweatshirt, but I also custom made mine at SOS advertising.

Ubers were expensive- even though my friends chipped in, I would guess I paid about $5-10 a weekend on Ubers, and I would go out one or two nights a weekend. The best bet to save on Ubers is to go to frat houses, and get a sober ride from a pledge, as the frats usually make their pledges drive people around for free.

Something else to consider is that a lot of sororities expect you to go on "sister dates", where you meet up with a sister somewhere and hang out (as a way of keeping you involved). You can do something free like go to the library or gym, but a lot of times I would get coffee or lunch with a sister, so doing that 2 times a week added up as well.

I know it's a lot but I really hope that helps you get an idea of the expenses of being in a sorority!

By: ?

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.