facebook

currently rushing

by: freshman

Hi I am a social freshman and I got dropped by 2 of the top sororities after the first day. all my friends pretty much got what they wanted but I'm not that invested in the process so I wasn't all that upset. I go out a lot and don't want my social life to be negatively affected if I don't join a sorority when all of my friends do (all my male friends are rushing frats too) or if I join a sorority that Doesn't have such a positive reputation on campus (Pi phi.) does anyone have any advice on how this might affect my social life? if I don't have my heart set on greek life, should I stick with the process? if I get a bid on bid night that I don't want to accept, what should I do?

Posted By: freshman
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: greek   

Joining a sorority (any sorority) definitely enhances girls' social lives, but it isn't necessary in order to have a good social life. Obviously you can still go out and have fun as a non-greek but you won't have access to closed parties, mixers, date parties, etc. unless invited by a member. Going greek also gives you access to a wider network of people both in your sorority and in the wider greek community.

Keep in mind that your freshman friends may or may not stay your friends throughout college. As sophomores a lot of people kind of drift away from the people they were close with freshman year.

I'm a proponent of sticking with the process and going greek, but don't join a sorority you don't like just to get letters. They don't need the negativity in their group. If you get a bid from a sorority you're not that excited about, go to bid night and check things out. If you still think it's not for you, then drop. No need to waste their time or your money if you can't get excited about the group and be an active contributing member.

By: greek
by: greek girlFeb 5, 2015 1:53:31 AM

Don't choose a sorority based on its reputation. Choose a sorority based on the girls. If you're going to call these girls your sisters, you should actually want to and be proud to do so. All of the sororities have active social lives in one way or another. Some may not mix as often as others (which often has more to do with how closely their nationals monitors such things- many sororities technically don't allow mixers in frat houses- rather than how man invitations they have), but the sisters still go out together. In every sorority there are girls who party and those who don't. And if all of your guy friends are rushing, then if they're good friends and not shallow ones who judge you by your letters, you should have no problem keeping up an active social life, regardless of what sorority you are in. So don't worry too much about the social life, that is there in every sorority. Find the one with the girls you like the best. And even if the sorority you get a bid from surprises you, give them a try. Because just as it's hard for you to be your best self during recruitment, sometimes it's hard for them too. The girl you talked to who was awkward during recruitment might just turn out to be amazing. So give whoever you get a bid from a try. If you're lucky, it will be the place you were meant to be all along.

By: greek girl
#2  by: Senior sister   

I have close friends in almost all the sororities on campus, and they are girls in all of them that go out. They all have mixers, so don't worry about that. My advice would be to give it chance. My roommate freshman year was super upset that she got into pi phi at first, but she stuck with it and her sisters became her best friends and she couldn't have been happier. So definitely give it a chance

By: Senior sister
#3  by: male perspective   

The only reason why I wouldn't want a friend of mine to join pi phi is because everyone I know that has joined has fallen off the social face of the earth. I don't know any pi phis who go out, and that's a shame. All the other sororities seem to fare better, even theta. So that is my only quip with pi phi. If you like them, by all means pledge but try not to fall into their wormhole.

By: male perspective
by: wormhole it upFeb 6, 2015 12:46:35 AM

I obviously can't speak for the girls that you know, but I'm a Pi Phi and I know plenty of Pi Phis who go out, whether it's to frat houses or to actual bars, Powerplant or the Get Down or something in Fells. Like yeah, we know how to stay in and kick our feet up and watch a movie, but we also know how to have fun in someone's apartment or house or how to head over to a club for the night. Last time I was out, I was with a group of at least seven Pi Phis and we ran into at least that many that we hadn't even planned on seeing.

By: wormhole it up
#4  by: sorority   

I'm in a different sorority from pi phi, but I see them out quite frequently. But they also know how to enjoy each other's company sober. Just because you don't see them in a frat basement doesn't mean they don't have a social life.

By: sorority
#5  by: Top sorority   

Most guys won't "say hi to you the morning after", even if you are really cute and hot - they just f....ng immature and cowardly at this age. Girls who think that getting into a top sorority will warrant more respect from guys in general are wrong. At first guys might be impressed with you being in a top sorority, but at the end it will come to their fear of commitment and their natural desire to experience as many different females as possible. Do you want to sacrifice your potential friendship and support system for them? Think twice.

By: Top sorority
#6  by: seniorsister   

As somebody who isn't in a "top" sorority, I can tell you that it will in no way negatively affect your social life. I picked the sorority I'm in for good reasons (yes, even over a "hot" sorority), and I'm so glad I did. If you're a beautiful, intelligent woman, nobody will think less of you because you were "mislabeled" by the Greek system. Also bear in mind that reputations differ drastically across campuses and that these are national organizations. My connections with my sorority have already and will take me very far in life. I love my sorority and I love my sisters, and if somebody thinks less of me for not being in a more on-the-whole physically attractive sorority, then I pretty much want nothing to do with them.

By: seniorsister
#7  by: Metoo   

Im in the exact same position as you, with most of my friends getting into a top sorority, and me having to choose between pi phi and theta. I think I'm going to give pi phi a chance and really try to improve it's campus reputation. They're still new and trying to establish themselves so there is room for change!

By: Metoo
by: seniorsisterFeb 6, 2015 11:10:17 AM

I'm glad that you're giving it a chance! I can promise you that you won't regret it. And you're definitely right- reputations are flexible, especially when a sorority is new. It really is what you make of it, and I hope you make it awesome!

By: seniorsister

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.