facebook

not getting a bid?

by: Blue Hen 2017

Hi I know it's a long way off but i am a little nervous about not getting a bid when i rush this spring. How common is it for girls to not get a bid at all during rush? My sister is greek at her school but UD doesn't have her chapter here so I honestly don't have a preference for chapters right now and I can tell everything on this website is BS, I just want to be accepted SOMEWHERE. No, there's nothing wrong with me. I'm just pretty average. I played on sports teams, but was never a captain or anything, my grades are just fine. I'm not like a super model but im not unattractive either.
I have heard that the rush process at UD is getting more and more competitive and a lot of girls didnt receive bids last year but they had the chance to join the new sorority on campus if they didnt. I'm rambling but I really am just worried about not getting a bid. All my older siblings are greek and it just seems like my college experience would be incomplete without it!

Posted By: Blue Hen 2017
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: lol   

Its quite unlikely you won't get any bid, it doe happen, but rarely. You will get one to one, but a lot of girls who didn't get bids ended up doing it to themselves because they dropped out of rush because they didn't want the bottom 2 or 3 sororities. A lot of those girls tried to do PhiSig, the new sorority, but only 186 girls got in out of the 500 or so who came out for it. Phi SIg will also be recruiting this year, so there will be more spots available. However, more and more girls rush every year especially sophomores that end up coming back to rush again because they realize that reputations of sororities do not matter because girls are friends with girls in every "tier". You just have to know that you end up where you end up, and most times if you re-rush you are just gonna end up with what you did the first time. As long as you go in with an open mind as you will here over and over again, you will end up happy and in a sorority more than likely!

By: lol
#2  by: Dont worry   

Most PNMs who don't get bids end up that way because THEY drop out, not because they get dropped by all the chapters. They don't like the chapters they have left after a round, and that's it for them. Not sugar coating anything, but it HURTS when your favorites drop you, but girls who pick themselves up and find new favorites are usually so glad they stayed with the process. They see that they really did end up in the best place for them. Those who drop are often sorry they did. Rush ends and it's everyday life. They see sororities they could have gone back to around campus, meet members in class or the dorms, and realize they chose to miss out on a chance for a great sisterhood.

Just enjoy your first semester! Keep your grades up, try joining a club, and HAVE FUN, just don't make a bad name for yourself.

By: Dont worry
#3  by: greek   

as long as you keep an open mind and act real, you'll find somewhere. every sorority has a stereotype, but you can't let that influence you. from alpha phi to dg, there are really great girls and some not so great girls. you just need to keep an open mind and you'll find a greek home :)

By: greek
#4  by: Actually   

Lots of times when someone says they didn't get a bid, it's really because they dropped out on their own. They didn't like their invites after a round, so that's it for them. Dropping will definitely keep you from getting a bid. So don't listen to rumors that girls just straight up not receiving bids. I am sure there are girls who aren't but not a whole lot are.
honestly think about it for a second, if all the girls who dropped out of recruitment on their own or turned down bids from theta and DG actually stuck it out and accepted those bids, those chapters would be the same as any other chapter here at UD! There would be none of this "bottom" talk and if there still was it would be from people who cannot accept change.
While it is true that you will become the chapter you get a bid from, remember that the chapter will become whoever YOU are as well. As much as the chapter makes the girl, the girls make the chapter too!

By: Actually
by: YesAug 27, 2013 11:17:16 AM

I think this every year! As someone who has worked behind the scenes during recruitment, i can tell you there is practically NO difference between the girls who get bids to DG and Theta and the girls who get bids to any other chapter. There IS a difference,however, between the girls who accept those bids and those who dont. We TRY to explain that to them and that they shouldn't be looking at popularity, but we have to remember they are freshmen. We are dealing 18 year old girls. They cannot see beyond the here and now, no matter how adult they think they are. Seriously, if they could look at the big picture and accept their bids imagine what could happen to those chapters by the time they graduate.

By: Yes
#5  by: SororityReject   

We only have 5 sororities on my campus, 1 of which is reserved solely for Tech students. I went through recruitment my first time (informal) and didn't receive any bids and then my second time (formal) being COMPLETELY dropped. I made sure to maximize my options, unfortunately it wasn't good enough. So it can happen, it's just rare. I'm probably done with Greek life, since who would want someone who had to rush 3 times, but I hope that the same problem never happens to you. Good luck

By: SororityReject
by: watFeb 14, 2014 9:20:38 AM

what?

By: wat
#6  by: holler   

If youre a PNM read "actually" and "yes" because that just made me smile. I was one of those pnms that had my heart set on a one chapter, got dropped before philanthropy and couldnt believe it. But I reminded myself what everyone told me "you end up where youre suppose to be" and it couldnt be more true. I know from the bottom of my heart if I had not picked myself back up, took a deep breath, and realized that my chapter was always suppose to be mine. JUST LIKE IT HAS BEEN SAID if you girls just joined the bids you got, because those women really want you, then the "tier" BS would end. Everyone would be able to be in harmony.

By: holler
#7  by: TL/DR   

For panhel- all the pnms that go through pref night basically and this is where each girl picks their preferred sororities... then the next day each chapter gives out bids. as long as you ranked both of the chapters you had left will get a bid...
but as it has been said before, it might not be the chapter you put down as number 1 in your rankings.

By: TL/DR

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.