facebook

rush 2023 pnm experience

by: love

so honestly i rushed during 2023 fall, and all i can say is rushing is all about who you know. they don’t care about the convos they only care about who you are or what ever. wouldn’t do again. sorry not all of us are from big towns in oklahoma and texas

Posted By: love
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: really?   

There are lots of girls from small towns in my new mc. I'm guessing that you dropped out and don't know any.

By: really?
by: bbSep 27, 2023 7:41:12 PM

It shouldn’t have to do with your connections though. It should be based off your GPA, presence, and overall conversations. My friend was a cheer captain, student body president, 5.0 GPA and did not get the houses she wanted.

By: bb
by: Truth Sep 28, 2023 10:08:59 AM

Comments like “did but get any of the houses she wanted” drive me crazy. You do realize it’s a MUTUAL selection process? New members don’t come in and just pick who they want. Going into recruitment with an attitude like that you’re guaranteed to fail. The same girls who complain like this are the same girls who don’t have other houses a fair chance. Probably better for girls like these to drop, they don’t represent our Greek system well.

By: Truth
by: Of courseOct 3, 2023 3:50:45 PM

“cheer captain, student body president, 5.0 GPA” just described half the girls in every house.

Everyone can’t be in the same 3 houses.

And so yes knowing someone gives you a leg up in some houses. But these same girls you describe are in every single house. And since all the houses at OU are strong they are having a great experience if they get involved in the house where they landed.

If you are a first gen Greek and think sorority life is like RushTok you were going to be dissatisfied in any house you ended up in anyway.

By: Of course
#2  by: Sooner   

I do agree with you somewhat. It seems like to get into some of the houses, you need somebody on the inside advocating for you (and advocating hard). It seems rare for a random girl to wander into a "top house" (Kappa for example) and get a bid. The girls who get in seemed to know somebody (or more than one somebody) or came from a top school.

But that's not to say it doesn't ever happen. It just seems more common to know somebody.

By: Sooner
#3  by: acl   

Why is it ok for a house to decide they don't want a PNM they haven't gotten to know and cut her without giving her a fair chance, but when a PNM decides she doesn't want to be in a certain house she "has a bad attitude?"

Why is a PNM expected to accept a bid from a house she doesn't want to be in, but a house cannot be forced to take a PNM who ranked them #1 if they decide she's not good enough for them? The hypocrisy is unbelievable.

The TRUTH is that for 90% of PNMs, there's nothing mutual about the selection process until pref night, and even then, the houses have the upper hand.

Recruitment is a numbers game that is heavily skewed in the houses' favor. Are there a few unicorns who go into it without connections and have a good rush? Yes. But most of the top houses are competing for the same 150 girls, and everyone else ends up disappointed.

By: acl
by: SoooooOct 10, 2023 7:09:26 AM

What is the solution then? Houses shouldn’t be forced to take girls they don’t want. Girls shouldn’t be forced into in a House they don’t want. OU won’t add new chapters when almost half are eligible for COB. There’s always going to be disappointment on both sides. I’m genuinely curious what the disappointed girls think the solution is.

By: Sooooo
by: SoonerOct 12, 2023 8:19:58 AM

I actually agree with this assessment. It isn't fair, but it's the way it is.

Sort of like the job market - The top employers get the top employees and sometimes you have to know someone to be hired with a top employer. For truly excellent employees, sometimes employers compete for them. The rest have to work their way up. Unfortunately, with the rush system, there is no way to work up to a top house. The best you can do is make your house better. And a lot of houses have done just that.

By: Sooner
by: Somewhat AgreeOct 17, 2023 2:34:57 PM

The fact is yes pan does a crappy job of setting expectations. Mutual is a strong word.

Reality is you want to be in the same chapter as everyone else based on what group is performing well at rush. And that isn’t possible. And what makes you a better candidate than the applicants that they know? Why are you better? Girls who think like this are the reason you only want into certain houses. You are perpetuating the problem you are crying about.

Each chapter at OU is strong. There are other schools that can’t say that.

At OU unless you were dropped by every chapter you have no room to complain about the process.

If you were dropped by every chapter someone should have reviewed your resume and counseled you that COB was a better alternative. If you want to be chosen on your conversation skills that is your only option. And only half the chapters participate in COB, the chapters eligible change each semester based on their membership numbers. But based on the rants posted you would think those chapters beneath you. And I assure you, if you are truly as entitled as your posts suggest, the opposite is true.

By: Somewhat Agree
#4  by: Sorry but true    

Unfortunately, it is what it is. I hate to say it that way, but I don’t know any other way explain it. There are always PNMs who know people on the inside, drop dead gorgeous and wealthy, have connections, or have 15K plus followers and sought out by top houses. When PNMs pledge these “top” houses, it only confirms the top house rankings. And then it continues….

But, that doesn’t mean there are other houses that aren't great fits for other PNM’s. Don’t worry about what is considered the “top houses”. The top houses are not that great on the inside. Imagine the prettiest, the wealthiest, the one’s with best connections all put into one house. Yes, you can all imagine…lots of drama, competitiveness, and sometimes lack of substance.

I’m sure there are exceptions. But, this is what happens to the majority of the “top
Houses”. So… “top houses” might not what you want after all.

By: Sorry but true
#5  by: ha ha ha @acl and sooooo   

Only 150 girls are desirable? How would a new house change that? Every one else ends up disappointed? Houses take girls they don't want? Wow, mom, you have a weird vision of recruitment and how it all works.

By: ha ha ha @acl and sooooo

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.