facebook

how will alpha phi survive??

by: Worried

So now dphie has had the chance to do a formal rush and got like half a pledge class…how is there room for ANOTHER new sorority?? Unless alpha phi somehow does drastically better than dphie.

Does anyone know if/when alpha phi will get a house?

Posted By: Worried
Post Reply Report
Page 2 of 3
#11  by: floridagirl   

The thing about Alpha Phi nationally is that they 100% recruit on looks, which often leads to catty chapters with poor sisterhood. I'm not saying that there aren't chapters that have a genuine bond but when you're primarily going for looks and not much else, that's often what happen as a result.

They have kicked out active members of chapters at places like Cornell & Duke when the actives weren't hot enough. I know this because I have an extended family member who was told she had to early alum at Cornell (with all the other girls) and they started over.

Alpha Phi often causes a lot of drama - just look at Ole Miss, UA and Florida GR. They pushed their UF colony out by another year but there were so many APhi alums on the page it was insane.

I'm sure they will get the hot girls who want an active social life and I'm sure frats will love them. Whether or not they are respected on campus and form a sisterhood will remain to be seen. At the very least, I hope they don't cause any drama with the other UGA sororitys.

By: floridagirl
#12  by: floridagirl   

Oh and one more thing: It does seem like UGA should've waited one more year to bring on Alpha Phi to give DPhiE another solid year of recruitment.

Alpha Phi was going to come on the heels of Gamma Phi colonizing but it was pushed out another year, which really helps Gamma Phi become more successful in the long run.

by: floridagirlJun 28, 2017 9:50:49 PM

^^ I meant to say, on the heels of Gamma Phi colonizing at UF

#13  by: Sec aphi   

I'm an alpha phi at another SEC school. Alpha Phi doesn't have any early alum status. That's national protocol, you become an alumni with your graduating class regardless of whether you transfer to a school w/o Alpha Phi or graduate early? You have to wait the full four years. I don't know where you're getting the info that another chapter has kicked girls out for not being pretty enough. If someone has told you that was the reason, then they likely did something to get sent to a judiciary board hearing and had their membership terminated and have just told you a lie about why they were terminated.

By: Sec aphi
by: ^Jul 8, 2017 4:20:03 PM

In the late 1990s and early 2000s, APhi did what they call "revitalization" with the Cornell, Duke, Mizzou, and UVA chapters, which were struggling with numbers—they forced all the actives to take alumnae status and recruited brand-new chapters from scratch. Basically, a recolonization without pulling the charter. All are now consider top or upper-middle chapters today, but it came at a cost. At Mizzou, the old chapter considered suing because they were not only made to go alum but they were literally kicked out of the house.

By: ^
#14  by: hm   

I wouldn't think they'd do well, but based on the house they're getting, I'm starting to think differently...

By: hm
by: ^Jul 4, 2017 3:53:02 PM

You can have a great house and still be lower tier.

#15  by: not feeling it   

Alpha Phi just doesn't feel like a UGA sorority to me. They won't be better than DPHiE, they will just be different. They might get above DG as that they are cemented as a lower tier house here, but they won't ever be good. That cheesy party sloppy girl thing just doesn't work like it does at certain schools. They will never be top tier and they will be lucky if they get to the middle.

By: not feeling it
by: ^Jul 4, 2017 5:36:08 PM

Agree

#16  by: Yeah   

Yes they will survive just like dphie did last year smh

By: Yeah
#17  by: L   

Bump

By: L
#18  by: bella lou   

Alpha Phi isn't a sorority that will do well here. They just don't have the reputation for class that most people who go here want.

By: bella lou
#19  by: idk   

For starters, I am truly hoping that despite their track record at other SEC colonizations, APhi has a great recruitment without any "we're so hot and amazing, we're already top tier" crap here. That being said, since that hasn't happened yet and they haven't even come to campus, maybe we shouldn't judge them based solely on their chapters at other schools. Maybe they'll be different here? Fingers crossed, because this page is far more low-key than the likes of Bama.

However, it will be interesting to see if a certain high-profile PNM elects to go through colonization.

By: idk
#20  by: Aphi   

APHI might recruit based on looks but they're nationally one of the top sororities with a ton of chapters and a large amount of chapters that are top on their campus, so I clearly that works for them. They colonize well, which is hard to do. They might start off at the bottom but very few of their chapters stay there.

By: Aphi

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.