facebook

how will alpha phi survive??

by: Worried

So now dphie has had the chance to do a formal rush and got like half a pledge class…how is there room for ANOTHER new sorority?? Unless alpha phi somehow does drastically better than dphie.

Does anyone know if/when alpha phi will get a house?

Posted By: Worried
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 3
#1  by: curious   

Everyone seems to think Alpha Phi will do better than DPhiE and I wonder why. I know in most southern universities Aphi does really well, but still they will be new here. wont that ruin their chances like it did for dphie? or will their good reputation at most southern schools pull in girls more than dphie can even though they are new here?

By: curious
#2  by: DPhiE bashing why?   

Takes a lot of courage to come back to a campus full of such judgement and haters, and it takes a lot of sisterhood to welcome them as the sisters which we all are. We were all new on campus, new on the block, new at school - whatever - at one time, let's try to remember that.

By: DPhiE bashing why?
#3  by: ag   

who said anything bad about dpe?

By: ag
#4  by: Dawgs   

It's true about Alpha Phi recruiting on looks. My older cousin went to Cornell and was an Alpha Phi. Their chapter was struggling a bit so nationals made them all go early alum and they recruited pretty girls. It worked since they are a top chapter but also considered the snobbiest. Sounds like Alpha Phi wants all their chapters to be "hot"

By: Dawgs
#5  by: Actually   

It will go one of two days: they will struggle just like DPhiE, or they could surpass the bottom tier entirely and do better than DG & agd. Which I think is entirely possible, agd & DG have just been plagued for too long to improve drastically; alpha phi will have a clean slate.

By: Actually
by: Doubt itAug 26, 2016 5:09:55 PM

Except we don't have enough girls getting dropped for alpha phi to be selective. The pretty girls (even if that's their only good quality) almost always get offered a bid somewhere, so idk how alpha phi will get to be selective at all. Honestly who thought it would be a good idea to have 2 new sororities come back to back, when 94% of PNMs already get a bid on average each year...

By: Doubt it
by: i thinkAug 28, 2016 6:10:16 PM

with the reputation afee has, I honestly think some girls will withhold from recruitment all together and go alpha phi. that is what happened when they colonized at ole miss recently. their PC was amazing and ole miss has a similar recruitment to ours. they just have the great national rep that dphie doesn't have at all. they will be able to be selective.

By: i think
by: LolAug 28, 2016 6:55:14 PM

Ole miss has like half the number of chapters that UGA has. The only girls at UGA who would skip formal recruitment to join alpha phi are the girls who don't think they have a chance getting into at least mid tier house since we have so many strong chapters to choose from. I think alpha phi will do better than DPhiE, but we have so many chapters that are great here and/or have amazing national reputations that alpha phi isn't going to have an easy time here by any means.

By: Lol
by: ^Jul 5, 2017 5:42:45 PM

Idk about that APhi has the rep as being the hottest sorority alive LOL whether you like it or not, any girl who wants that rep will be happy to be APhi

By: ^
#6  by: House    

Where is their house going to be?

By: House
by: Girlie GirlJun 26, 2017 8:09:41 PM

387 S. Milledge (left of Gamma Phi Beta)

By: Girlie Girl
#7  by: Watch out   

It's not DPhiE that needs to be worried. It's top tier, which is where Alpha Phi will want to be, even from the start.

By: Watch out
by: ummmJul 4, 2017 5:34:40 PM

Sorry colonizer but you aren't going to come on here and take over. This isn't your sloppy kinda school.

By: ummm
#8  by: Bottom   

They'll start at the bottom, just like every other new house.

By: Bottom
#9  by: colony   

APhi nationals will recruit from soph., junior, and senior women in student govt., athletic/cheers, and other leadership positions on campus that have never been in a sorority. I've seen other nationals do this very well. APhi certainly knows how to do this.

Colonizing is a unique opportunity. The first year is the easier/best time to recruit women that have not gone through rush and are now thinking it would be something they wish they pursued. Many leaders on campus will consider it. (Along with freshman that either skipped recruitment due to limited knowledge, greeks in their family, or neg preconceived ideas about sorority life)

The tough time comes in subsequent recruitments when the new chapter has to recruit on their own (in general; yes they will have lots of advisors) with primarily incoming freshman competing with all the other established houses.

By: colony
#10  by: UA Active   

I go to Bama (from Atlanta) and have seen this on our campus and recently Ole Miss-- Alpha Phi really does recruit for mostly looks. They draw in girls who are from the northeast where alpha phi is a big deal. These girls may or may not do formal rush, but at ole miss a lot of them either waited to rush alpha phi specifically or dropped out mid week.

There are 3 factors that may make their colony at UGA different:
1. Both ole miss and UA have a lot more northern students than UGA for whatever reason, UA in particular.
2. UGA as a whole has less grade risks rushing for obvious reasons (the one thing I'm jealous of) so aphi will have less "pretty but dumb" girls to pull from.
3. At ole miss specifically, being in a bottom tier house is basically social suicide, mostly because there's nothing else to do in oxford. So it could be more attractive for a PNM to be a founding member than to suffer it out in ADPi or Theta. We don't have that issue and I know UGA doesn't really either.

All that said, I can imagine Alpha Phi will be more successful than D Phi E, but they certainly won't be a threat to top tier. I know UGA values tradition and grades as much as us and that can't be faked.

Sorry for the novel summer is boring

By: UA Active
by: OM activeJul 4, 2017 11:36:34 AM

I wandered over here because my sister will be a freshman at UGA this year. And let me just say that you should stick to what you know - and that's Bama. I promise you that thetas and adpis are not suffering in oxford with nothing to do. ADPi is only 3 years old and growing nicely. And thanks to variable quota theta got its strongest pledge class in years and people are optimistic that things will continue to look up for them. Why you think it is okay to insult Greek organizations at a school you don't go to and the social scene of a town you don't live in I don't know, but I suppose that's just your character.

UGA, the thing that stood out at ole miss during colonization presentations was how prepared Aphi nationals were to come into a school like ole miss with a strong, competitive and traditional Greek system. Yes, they recruit on looks and girls who are like-minded - things like academics and sisterhood take the backseat to looks and their social life. And some people want that to be the primary focus of the Greek experience and that's perfectly okay. They will find a niche at UGA just like they have at ole miss.

By: OM active
by: ^Jul 5, 2017 5:46:04 PM

HEY ADPi troll isn't it creepy to lurk another schools GR

By: ^
by: WeirdJul 21, 2017 7:34:14 AM

Yes, just like it is creepy for 'UA active' to be lurking the Ole Miss Grrekrank site . She seriously needs to find something else to do. I've been to Oxford and there's plenty to do there.

By: Weird

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.