facebook

i'm not fitting in in my sorority

by: honest

I'm in a top sorority. Everyone is really nice, but I'm just not fitting in. Many of the girls are already best friends and planning trips together and I feel like the outsider. I don't want to quit. I'm just not sure that I can do this for four years. Any advice?

Posted By: honest
Post Reply Report
Page 2 of 3
#11  by: ?   

Be more open. Look around for another girl who doesn't have several best friends. In any house it's going to take effort on your part. Being a top house has nothing to do with it. My house is lower middle and I felt this way right at first and had to exert myself to make friends.

By: ?
#12  by: Fair frog   

You are only about half way through the new member process. Go to everything your chapter offers, speak up to others, give it your best. If you still don't feel like its a fit then choose which route you want to take. Stick with in or try again having no idea of where you will end up. There is no correct answer. You have to do what is right for you.

By: Fair frog
by: HopperSep 17, 2014 11:37:30 PM

Definitely give it your all before you drop or you could regret it big time.

By: Hopper
#13  by: you know   

You all are making it way worse for this girl by telling her to "open up." Really? You don't think she has tried that? Geeesh people. I agree that she should stick it out, but come one. Get real. Think about what your saying, and realize that everyone is different. Not everybody can just "open up."

By: you know
#14  by: rushwise   

It may seem that way to you at first but I am sure you are not alone. It really takes time to form real friendships and get to know people and what may seem to you as everyone is finding besties fast is probably not the case. Friendships formed quickly are not necessarily going to last. Many girls form bonds quickly to feel less secure and they may or may not be "best friends" for the long haul. Give yourself time and in six months I am sure you will feel different. Every year is different as well. Don't think automatically something is wrong with you because you don't immediately feel like you have 10 new best friends.

By: rushwise
#15  by: Dissatisfied Frog   

If you are actually in a top house be grateful and suck it up.

By: Dissatisfied Frog
#16  by: Sassy   

We will hope that by now you have opened up enough to click with some of your sisters. It is wise to make the best of the situation and appreciate a bid rather than throw those possible friendships away.

By: Sassy
#17  by: 4real   

If everyone is nice and your house is a top group you should be realizing how blessed you are. So many girls would exchange places with you. If you can't make it work in that situation do not expect things to go better with another house.

By: 4real
#18  by: .   

The truth is that most sororities have a sorority within the sorority. The bigger the house, the more cliques you are going to have. It doesn't mean you can't all be friends and sisters, it just means you won't be everybody's bridesmaid. That is okay. I feel that it is silly to tell you to "open up" or "put yourself out there." You are who you are, and that is fine. If I were in your shoes, I would not drop. I would continue to be in the house, but if things don't get better by the end of the year, I would just become a less active member, pay my dues, do the minimum for sorority , and enjoy other parts of college. Hey, can't hurt to study more, or get a job/intern, do a year abroad, or even date older guys who are professional and not in fraternities. If you can afford to stay, you might as well, and keep the affiliation. Good luck.

By: .
#19  by: honestly    

If you drop, you will not get back into the Greek System. Sorry. But true.

By: honestly
by: Yep Sep 21, 2014 1:16:13 PM

If you have a top house with nice sisters there is no way whatever house you think will be perfect exsists. Making a house work is a two way relationship. If there is a house you just know you will like better, remember they didn't choose you. What makes you believe they will choose you as a Sophomore? Hang in there and give it your best.

By: Yep
#20  by: And    

Every house has a lot of girls and they all have different levels of engagement. You get the super die hard members to the barely there members. And everything in between. It isn't a big deal. Just chill and don't take it to seriously.

By: And

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.