facebook

rushing

by: Hopefulpnm19

Hi! I'm from St. Louis, MO and I'm really hopeful on getting into a good sorority! I get decent grades and am somewhat involved in my community. I'm nervous that I won't be given any bids because of where I'm from or that I'm not a legacy. I would want to be a KKG or XO, but I would be happy in any house. Do I have good chances?

Posted By: Hopefulpnm19
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: Probably    

Not with XO. They tend to pick Ms girls and unless you have connections or just stand out to them during rush, you don't have a shot. Plus, XO is known for being cliquey and girls that aren't from Jackson Ms have a hard time fitting in. You definitely have a shot with KKG. This past rush, they cut all girls with below a 3.3. They like upbeat, fun girls and you'll see that when you go to their house for rush. Kappa has girls from all over the place, unlike XO.

By: Probably
by: not necessarily trueMar 5, 2015 3:06:22 AM

some of my very good friends went xo this past rush and they're from California (as am I), New York, and Maryland and they love it and have a very close bond with a lot of their sisters...show how much you want to be in their house and they will see it! good luck :)

By: not necessarily true
#2  by: Ha   

So you know that you want to be a chi o or kappa without meeting any girls or going through rush? Lol. Prepare to be disappointed!

YOU CANT CHOOSE A SORORITY BASED ON WHAT YOU READ ON GREEKCHAT!

You have little to no shot with xo. Kappa us a maybe Aopi would be a better fit for you coming from the north.

By: Ha
by: serious question Jan 6, 2015 11:43:51 PM

have you met any kappas or chi o's? how do you know that's what you want

By: serious question
#3  by: best pnm post    

i have seen so far! kudos to you for already picking a couple of favorites but still keeping your options open!! and not disclosing too much personal information when asking such a question!

By: best pnm post
by: Lol Jan 7, 2015 12:49:56 AM

Give her a cookie?

By: Lol
by: Hopefulpnm19Jan 7, 2015 10:56:55 PM

Thank you for the help to those of you that were nice!!
I think that some of you should be a little less rude and judgemental before you make assumptions about somebody's life!
I've heard great things about all of the sororities at Ole Miss (not just from greekrank), so I will be lucky to be chosen by any one of them. I was just using those two houses as an example to see where I'd fit.
Again thanks for the help!!

By: Hopefulpnm19
#4  by: well   

Kappa and Chi O are top tier at Missouri schools

By: well
#5  by: Truth   

There are six sororities at ole miss that you MUST HAVE CONNECTIONS to get into. Ddd, KD, xo, phi mu, DG, and kappa. Without connections you are looking at pi phi, aopi, theta, or ADPi.
There are exceptions, but in wouldn't count on being the exception.

If you want only xo or kappa, resumes and grades won't get you far without connections.

By: Truth
by: Ummm....Feb 9, 2015 8:46:40 PM

Pi Phi and AOPi are not those sororities that take anyone any more.

By: Ummm....
#6  by: MS   

Honestly you probably won't get a chance with Chi O. Like they said they stick with their Mississippi girls and that is about it. But you still have a great chance with Kappa! If you know you like one of the two or any house be sure to make it very clear during rush. But always keep an open mind, you never know what you'll ending up loving!

By: MS
#7  by: NotFromMiss   

I've read over and over that Chi-O only takes mississippi girls, and that the few who aren't feel left out once they do get in. THIS IS FALSE. I'm from OOS, and did not know anyone in any sorority at Ole Miss. I had a wonderful rush, and ultimately chose Chi-O because they were the most welcoming and diverse. I could not be happier! My advice is to use the 6 weeks prior to Rush to meet as many people as possible. That seemed to really help with me!

By: NotFromMiss
by: Ole Miss ...Feb 8, 2015 10:01:04 AM

If the sorority girls stay away from the freshmen rushing and are not allowed to hang out ; how do you meet people?

By: Ole Miss ...
by: WhateverFeb 8, 2015 1:30:22 PM

Shut up xo! Are you so blind that you don't even notice that half your girls eat lunch and dinner at other sorority houses? Unless you are from Jackson or Memphis or came in with tons of connections, your best friends will all be in other houses. Scratch that! You may know tons of actives, but the problem is that those actives you know don't hang out with the new pledges! From bid day on, you are on your own! You either sink or swim.

By: Whatever
by: NotFromMissFeb 10, 2015 3:31:47 PM

"Whatever", you could not be more wrong. Actives DO hangout with pledges! Again, I knew NO ONE but my pledge class became my best friends. Sure, we all have friends in oh her sororities too because we are nice people who don't judge people based on their letters, but 98% will tell you that their closest friends are other Chi Omegas. Furthermore, we're too classy to tell other houses to "shut up" as you so ungraciously did!

By: NotFromMiss
#8  by: good luck! :)   

Chi O is very Mississippi. They are very centered around everything happening here and if you aren't from close by, you might have a hard time fitting in. I know girls who hate Chi O but refuse to drop, for fear of being a GDI, and those who got so fed up with it they actually did drop. However, there are girls who love it too, but they're typically from Jackson/Memphis or have just adapted extremely well.

KKG is much more welcoming. most of their out-of-state girls are from Texas but they have at least a few from everywhere else. There are definitely some Missouri and Illinois girls there. I think that would be more comfortable for you than Chi O. They're known as the party girl sorority and that isn't for everyone, but it's still an awesome house.

I would also look at Phi Mu, AOPi, and Pi Phi. All have a pretty big number of out-of-state girls and are very good sororities.

By: good luck! :)
#9  by: Outofstater   

I, too, am an out of state girl who chose Chi-Omega. The friends I met through Chi-0 are the best friends I've ever had. They will be in my wedding and at the baptism of my children. Obviously the people who are saying that Chi-O is uninviting to pledges that aren't from Jackson or Memphis got cut, so how in the world would they know? Take it from someone who knows, if you're fortunate enough to receive a bid from Chi Omega, it will be the best decision of your life!

By: Outofstater
by: ObservationFeb 16, 2015 3:45:43 PM

It seems like they take a lot of Texas girls from high profile (income) areas, too.

By: Observation
#10  by: stl   

chi o won't take you. the only good ones that will take someone from stl (I'm from there too) are DG, phi mu, and kappa.

By: stl

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.