facebook

how about we get some actual uva sorority rankings

by: mags

Everyone knows that the perpetuated 80's tier system is bs. Different people want different Greek experiences and therefore will like different sororities. Don't give me the regurgitated nonsense: tell me about you (just a quick blurb about the kind of person you are) and then tell me YOUR individual original tier system in your order of preference.

Posted By: mags
Post Reply Report
Page 3 of 4
#21  by: whyamidoingthis   

Fine. But you seem to be on this site in a greater capacity than just that.

By: whyamidoingthis
by: likeagphiDec 8, 2013 1:41:51 PM

Okay. Thanks for trying to defend me and mine, haha. <3 I like the positivity discussion; did you start it? You seem like you're pretty familiar with all of this, but I'm just guessing about the discussion.

Do you have any ideas for how we can add more camaraderie to this website at all? I imagine that first year girls stumble across it like I did and are pretty turned off by the negativity and then think Greek life is a big uncomfortable competition. Even I feel competitive about it sometimes, and it scares me. Did you know we have only about 700ish girls rushing this year, which is down about 200-300 from last year? I don't want to co-big, haha. x)

I didn't know it was so weird to tell everyone what sorority you're in, but I'm glad that I did because the reaction is really interesting? Like think about it. It could have been, "oh, look at this girl she clearly loves her sorority the same way i love my sorority. we all think we're in the best sorority so that means rush is a good placement system. greek life is such a beautiful thing," but instead it was, "look at this arrogant girl that is daring to think her sorority is hot stuff. let's show her how wrong she is and accuse her organization of building themselves up in a bad way?"

Lol, I can't even word the negative reaction correctly. I just think the general reaction was kind of frightening and that pnms see it when they find gathering places like this. Help me brainstorm a solution?

By: likeagphi
by: likeagphiDec 8, 2013 1:44:25 PM

Like if we start a kind of community on here instead of a competition i'm-better-than-you rank site, maybe people will approach it more personably?

by: likeagphiDec 8, 2013 1:47:44 PM

Like, maybe we can start a discussion where girls post pictures of their sisters having fun so that when pnms show up here they see how engaging and lovely Greek life is instead of Greeks being unkind to each other? I'm just brain storming now and I know I've commented like three times, haha.

#22  by: @likeagphi   

Don't waste your time with the critics; they're probably all the same person. There's a girl that visits this website 2-3 times each day to comment and rank promoting certain sororities and demoting others.

On the rank section, with some variety to avoid obvious self ranking, she votes down zeta, sigma kappa, gamma phi beta, and alpha chi o and votes up alpha phi, dz, kd, and sometimes pi phi. She ranks the sororities I mentioned about once every day or so, voting more often to cancel out others' votes if anyone else visits and ranks differently than she does.
I know because I realized a pattern on the pages after I came back to see what people said about the ranks I made: she had voted to cancel out my ranks where they didn't line up with hers using a name that the pages were littered with (she does "anon" and "truth" and "honest" a lot).

Notice that the times at which people commented here criticizing you line up with the times at which the frequent user ranked combinations of the aforementioned sororities? It's totally her, ranking and commenting over and over. I wouldn't have wasted my time with this comment if you didn't seem so painfully genuine and naive; I feel really bad for you.

By: @likeagphi
by: I'm ScaredDec 8, 2013 8:06:16 PM

Its not normal to investigate GreekRank that intensely. Everyone knows that people post on here to promote their own sororities. Nothing on here is unbiased and accurate

By: I'm Scared
by: @Dec 8, 2013 8:34:00 PM

I knew you'd have something to say. It wasn't that intense of an investigation; you're not that smart, so you made it fairly obvious… you know, by picking the same user name repeatedly for what I can only assume is probably months worth of the activity I detailed.

By: @
by: likeagphiDec 11, 2013 7:23:46 PM

Lol, omg. I don't even know what to think, haha. I'm sorry that happens for you two?

#23  by: whyamidoingthis   

Yeah…I don't know anything about this. My earlier post was my first time posting on this site ever. I've never ranked any of the sororities here.

Personally, although I like your idealism, I don't think there's much to be done to salvage this site. I think the best we can do is make it a place where unrepentant bashing of any sorority is looked down upon, but I don't think it needs to become a community. There's no accountability measure in place for those who would choose to abuse the anonymity.

I also really don't like the idea of posting pictures of sisters without their permission--especially if it's just to show off how attractive they are. Sorry, just not a fan of that idea.

I agree that first year girls might be turned off by this site, and that's why I appreciate the positivity discussion (although I did not start it). I genuinely believe that the whole recruitment system works out, and as long as people are genuine during rush, they will find themselves in a place that they will love, as long as they go into it with the right attitude--namely, an openness, and without any preconceived notions.

I think the UVA Greek system as a whole has an awful reputation (which makes the rest of us look bad when we say we're in a sorority), and this cattiness plays a huge role in it. We're really just bringing ourselves down here.

#24  by: whyamidoingthis   

I don't know, I'm just spouting off randomness at this point. But I like your idealism. I don't think Greekrank is a good foundation for any unifying measure you have in mind. But I'm all for more acceptance and tolerance in the Greek community--I often say that I love my sorority and my sisters but hate Greek life, and I'd like to be able to change that.

by: likeagphiDec 11, 2013 7:33:40 PM

Yes, I really agree with you on the genuine way girls need to approach rush! I was a little afraid to be myself because I was hyper-aware of the little ways that I didn't quite conform to my rush group during rush, but those little unique things were the parts that helped me find my sisters. :)

Awh, I understand what you mean, but I wish you didn't have to say that you hate Greek life. :(
Posting pictures doesn't have to be a thing at all. I didn't even think about it that way, though I know my sisters won't mind (our exec grabs Facebook pictures for random newsletters without telling anyone all of the time, haha).
If you come up with an idea kind of like mine but that wouldn't be offensive, you should do it! And comment here so that I know it's you and can follow your lead. <3

#25  by: @@likeagphi   

I dunno, it seems like you are voting down cetain sororitys (KD, PBP, DZ, DG, etc) and up-voting others (ZTA, GPB, SK, GPB, ACO) more than that other person is voting the way you claim. It seems you are on here more than she is, and skewing the rank even more.

Topic? Third year history major/comm minor, living off-grounds.

Top: DDD / PBP
Upper Mid: AP / ZTA / DG
Mid: DZ / KKG / ACO
Lower Mid: KD / SK / KAT / CO
Bottom: GPB / ADP / SDT /SSS

By: @@likeagphi
by: @Dec 9, 2013 5:58:12 PM

Can you stop pretending to be other people. You know that you started it and that I told you that if you continued I'd do double of the opposite of whatever you did.

by: wowDec 9, 2013 11:16:47 PM

You must be really insecure if you assume everyone on here who disagrees with you is the same person posting over and over again. It makes you look really petty and sad. Not sure if you're the one girl from GPB who keeps posting on here, but still, you're on this site waaaay to much and come of sounding like a paranoid loon.

By: wow
by: @Dec 10, 2013 12:14:23 AM

The only people that even know anything about who has or hasn't been posting are me and you. Just stop.

#26  by: :)   

I'm a second year and I'm involved with University Dance Club and Madison House. I'm very involved with my sorority, which I will not name. I am basing my rankings off of the girls I know, sisterhood, involvement, how sociable the girls are, and how much people actually like the girls as a whole (from my experience).

Top (in no order)
ZTA
DG
SK
GPB
DDD
DZ

Upper Mid:
ACO / APhi

Middle:
PBP
CO
ADP
KKG

Lower:
KD
SDT
SSS (sorry, it's just hard to be involved / visible when you're that small of a group…I know one girl in this house though and she is so sweet and fun!)
KAT

By: :)
#27  by: justanote   

It's strange that not a single person has ranked Kappa or Theta as top tier. It just goes to show the difference between the perpetuated tier system and how individuals actually feel, I guess.

By: justanote
by: ?Dec 17, 2013 4:55:44 PM

This is exactly what pnms need to be hearing.

By: ?
#28  by: huh   

i think its great that a lot of "mid-tier" sororities are ending up in people's tops, since the truly decent girls (attractive, fun, sweet, not catty/elitist) usually end up in middle-tiers. good to see they're getting the recognition they deserve

By: huh
by: hmmDec 14, 2013 12:03:27 AM

that, or maybe people from "mid-tier" sororities are the ones posting here repeatedly...

By: hmm
by: lipsticklesDec 15, 2013 10:21:25 PM

People on rank sites always accuse people advocating opposing views of self-ranking. I wouldn't assign much value to the accusations...

By: lipstickles
by: ?Dec 16, 2013 9:58:36 AM

why do people always accuse self ranking? they see any sign of a good rank and immediately shoot it down, its so pathetic. I'm a GDI so i won't be self ranking any sorority and i know there are plenty of us that peruse this site and give good ranks to sororitys we like. ps, the hatred on this site makes me remember why i didn't pledge in the first place!!

By: ?
by: floJan 24, 2014 10:59:05 PM

It doesn't matter the sorority, if it is "top tier", "mid tier", "bottom tier", etc...if it gets lots of positive votes, people will accuse self-ranking. whether KKG/AP/SK/GPB/ZTA/anyone, you will see accusations of self-ranking for all.

ignore the BS here, don't take it seriously, and just laugh at how some people take this site waaay too seriously

By: flo
#29  by: zane   

It's the same 5 or 6 people posting and re-posting. Let's not get too excited.

By: zane
#30  by: ES-KKG   

I came to UVA assured that KKG was the top of the top tier based on, I guess, outdated information. Don't rely on reputation; meet the girls in each house and decide for yourself what you think.

I'm happy enough here but I think I could have done better if I'd given other places a chance. Oh well, at least our alumnae network is strong.

By: ES-KKG
by: well...Jan 16, 2014 12:46:16 AM

sadly, it still is seen as a top-tier house, for whatever reason. that's just a fact.

also, why are you giving such obvious advice to people that you yourself didn't follow? why didn't you meet the girls in each house and decide for yourself?

it seems like this is a dig at KKG disguised as a post about sorority rankings. u might not even be in KKG.

I do agree with you in principle; go into rush with an open mind, and try to meet as many second and third years as you can (ignore the 4th years, they'll be gone in a few months anyway). the 'elite' sororitys might be more open-minded than you think, and those considered "bottom tier" might be much cooler and more fun than others would have you believe.

By: well...

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.