facebook

bullying within chapter

by:    

My daughter is in a sorority on campus. She told me that her roommate in the same sorority was slandered and bullied on a secret Facebook page for her conservative beliefs. The other girls started saying how much they hate my daughters roommate because she was a Mitt Romney fan. They then began to take it to the personal level. There have been multiple instances in this chapter of girls being ostracized and bullied for either their political or religious beliefs. I told my daughter to leave the sorority because I fear eventually she will be bullied for being a conservative republican as well as a Christian however she is still deciding. Are there any Panhellenic rules against this or national headquarters rules or is this an acceptable practice. This is not the sisterhood I experienced when I was a sister at a different university.

Posted By: concernedmom
Page 1 of 2
#1by:    

This has happened multiple times in the same chapter. It has been very damaging to many girls who are being bullied by their sisters. This has just been reported to the national level and hopefully will be investigated.

By: Me too
#2by:    

OMG! I just heard about this from my friend who is in this chapter. She said it is really bad and several girls are planning to drop. Some stuff happened just recently. This chapter better watch out as they do not need this bad press. It won't help them at all. They need to clean up their act quickly! All exec did about the FB incident is ask the bullies to take it down. Hope they can fix this. This is unacceptable in UF Panhellenic.

By: Wow!
by: roomie   

I've heard there was stuff that happened as recently as this week. My roommate is in this chapter as well. Makes me glad I'm not in Greek life. Seems like a mess

By: roomie
#3by:    

I would suggest taking any proof of the bullying to UF Student Affairs. They need to know. This cannot be tolerated.

By: Idea
by: Question   

Is it considered free speech though if girls who are liberals talk about how much they do not like the conservatives? I wasn't sure how much could be done if they're just bashing religious people or republicans.

By: Question
by: Idea   

This is not an issue about free speech. The liberal girls can say whatever they want and so can the conservative girls. The liberals have both publicly and privately bashed their sisters for their beliefs. I do not believe this has been done in reverse. I guess it is just a sad commentary on their sisterhood. They are lucky they have not been identified yet. In time.......

By: Idea
#4by:    

It a shame...I know multiple girls who are dropping this chapter because they cannot deal to be associated with such negativity. It's terrible that an organization that promotes so much sisterhood and friendships has now turned hostile and hateful.

By: Ashamed
by: Sad   

This is not what being in sorority is about. Sad.

By: Sad
#5by:    

To all of the sisters in Sigma Kappa who decided to write hateful responses both publically and privately to those whose beliefs are more conservative than yours...I hope that you are happy. You have not only hurt those you directly attacked but the sisters that have had no part in this...the sisters of your entire sorority. You should be ashamed of yourself. I hope you feel good about your "freedom of speech". You are entitled to it but realize that it can have far reaching effects. Done.

By: Reality
by: Wow   

I feel for the girls who were negatively affected by the action of others

By: Wow
#6by:    

You daughter is an adult. She needs to take care of herself. Get the hell off this college site, helicopter mommy. You're ridiculous. No wonder no one likes your daughter. Your writing this here made things a whole lot worse for her. Congratulations!

By: XYZ

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: Wow   

You are rude.

By: Wow
by: Unbelievable   

Another Sigma Kappa threat? Classy girls.

By: Unbelievable
by: Concernedmom   

I don't care even though my daughter is going to be a junior when I hear of things happening like this it makes me ashamed that I was part of this chapter 30 years ago. It also has to do with the fact that I used to be proud of being part of this chapter but now I am appalled. Especially now seeing how fellow chapter women are now yelling at the mothers. Shows your true character.

By: Concernedmom
by: huh?   

XYZ: How do you know that this girl is going to have things made worse for her? Do you know who it is and intend to make it worse for her? That is a sure way to make sure your chapter is caught.

By: huh?
by: Mmmmk   

Parents don't belong on a college site. Let your adult daughter figure things out. I'd be so embarrassed if my mother did this.

By: Mmmmk
#7by:    

1) It feels like all of the posts in this thread came from the same person posting as others. It's weird.
2) Moms, do not post here defending your daughters. It is painful to see your daughter hurting but we are adults and it is undoubtedly embarrassing for her.
3) It is awful if someone is being ostracized by her sisters for political views, but it is not UF or Panhellenic's job to make people be nice, and certainly posting on this site isn't at all the way to address the issue.

By: Tbh

That's exactly what it is. You'll noticed all those postings will come in minutes of each other then crickets. Someone really needs to get a grip on themselves or get some medication, especially if this really is a mother.

#8by:    

I haven't heard of any girls dropping nor have I seen anyone become ostracized because of their beliefs. I am a sister of sigma kappa and have not come across any pages, nasty comments etc. We value diversity and would respect everyone's beliefs because we have one sisterhood and one bond.

By: Doubt it
by: Naive   

You have missed something then

By: Naive
#9by:    

There were like 3 girls who wrote dumb stuff and it was dealt with. This is clearly just a transparent attempt to drag SK's name through the mud because they are clearly on the rise with their new house, etc. The overall group of girls are basically the nicest on campus and nothing has changed at all in that regard.

By: This is literally so dumb
by: Agreed   

The girls who wrote "mean things" were dealt with according to Panhellenic rules. However I highly doubt this was a sigma kappa mom or chapter woman who wrote this but rather I suspect it is an attempt from an outsider to bring down sigma kappa who is on the rise.

By: Agreed
by: Naive   

They are not on the rise. Do not defend yourselves so simply. Many have been hurt by this but won't all speak up because of fear of retribution by their sisters.

By: Naive
#10by:    

There are mean girls in every sorority- it's a simple fact of the matter.

By: sad truth
by: Yes   

Unfortunately what happened at this house went beyond "mean". Sadly, the whole truth will probably never come out.

By: Yes

There are mean girls everywhere through your entire life. Grow up. Toughen up. Stop expecting your mommy to fight your battles for you.

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.