facebook

bullying within chapter

by: concernedmom

My daughter is in a sorority on campus. She told me that her roommate in the same sorority was slandered and bullied on a secret Facebook page for her conservative beliefs. The other girls started saying how much they hate my daughters roommate because she was a Mitt Romney fan. They then began to take it to the personal level. There have been multiple instances in this chapter of girls being ostracized and bullied for either their political or religious beliefs. I told my daughter to leave the sorority because I fear eventually she will be bullied for being a conservative republican as well as a Christian however she is still deciding. Are there any Panhellenic rules against this or national headquarters rules or is this an acceptable practice. This is not the sisterhood I experienced when I was a sister at a different university.

Posted By: concernedmom
Post Reply Report
Page 2 of 2
#11  by: Prime   

This is kind of weird. The majority of Greek life is conservative and leans Republican. It seems unlikely that a minority group in a sorority would be so outspoken on political subjects and rude enough to target their own sisters...

By: Prime
by: Real StoryJul 5, 2015 7:51:35 AM

A fair number in Sigma Kappa lean left. A few sisters are VERY militant in their beliefs and feel the need to make life miserable for those who have a differing viewpoint. They have no problem verbally destroying a person with a conservative viewpoint. They quickly throw sisterhood and respect out the window for the sake of their cause.

By: Real Story
#12  by: Nope   

I remain convinced this is the mom posting over and over about "the truth will come out" and talking about Panhellenic dealing with it, because this would be 0% Panhellenic's problem. If anything, this would be an internal standards issue, and an actual chapter woman (rather than an upset mom) would know that.

By: Nope
by: Posted once Jul 5, 2015 9:14:04 AM

Just to let you know, I've posted once about the truth coming out and I'm not a mom so I don't think it's the mom posting over and over again. However if you are part of sigma kappa I see why you would try to make up theories to cover up

By: Posted once
#13  by: seriously   

SK was going to be one of my main choices going into rush (I know keep an open mind blah blah blah, but I know that I'm never gonna be top tier and I'm fine with that). If this is true I'm really disappointed. I heard you guys had one of the closest sisterhoods,guess not.

By: seriously
by: SK sisJul 5, 2015 1:42:53 PM

I am a current member of Sigma Kappa and am disgusted by the actions of just a few members of my sorority. I also know that there are many great girls in this chapter who do not tolerate or engage in this type of behavior. Our nationals encourage RESPECT and we need to do a better job with this. Do not close your mind off and take another look at our chapter. I hope you will see what is good.

By: SK sis
by: MmmmkJul 5, 2015 2:49:05 PM

Oh right. Nice try mommy. You're not a PNM. Stop being so embarrassing!

By: Mmmmk
#14  by: Mmmmk   

Funny how almost all of these posts from "different" people would come in a matter of minutes.

By: Mmmmk
by: HuhJul 5, 2015 6:20:00 PM

Are you a sigma kappa or just angry?

By: Huh
by: @huhJul 5, 2015 9:30:58 PM

Neither. Just smart and observant. It's obviously the same person doing this and pretending to be several people. Get back on your meds.

By: @huh
#15  by: WTF   

WTF?

By: WTF
#16  by: Bullies are every where,    

Not surprised at all that this happened in Sigma Kappa at all . Helicopter parents need to get off this site though,

By: Bullies are every where,
#17  by: FYI    

A new house will not save SK. A sisterhood! No. Not all all, what I observed was a few nice girls but most were strange and aloof, Catty mean girls .

By: FYI

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.