facebook

rush

by: Kobe

If there were lets say 5 fraternities to consider rushing, what would they be?

Posted By: Kobe
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: No   

Look kid if you're rushing and only looking for some measurement of how popular some fraternities are you might as well not rush. Find what fits you. Tiers are all subjective and don't really matter anyways so ignore any rankings you see on this website.

By: No
by: OneRowdyGentAug 14, 2014 4:00:17 PM

Great response. Every frat is different Kobe. See which one fits you.

By: OneRowdyGent
#2  by: yup   

I would rec that you take the couple weeks before official rush to really explore and meet the fraternities....That's when you will really see who you get along with and would like to rush.

Formal rush is a joke and you won't really get to know the guys before bids are giving out. Stay away from DX or wtv they are called now and KS as they are underground fraternities.

FYI I will stress that being a part of a new fraternity or recently new fraternity, (while rewarding) is a tough experience and you won't have as much fun as you are trying build your frats rep/image. Something you shouldn't exactly shy away from but to consider.

By: yup
by: It dependsAug 14, 2014 11:26:49 PM

Going off what you said about new frats, the reward can be great in the long run, but it honestly depends on the fraternity.

- Delta Sig has been on this campus for sometime now and they have been getting more and more relevant as each semester goes by. Good group of guys.

- DU started two years ago but they have been on the rise ever since a year ago. I don't know about their "non-secret" thing, sounds weird considering being in a frat is being secret, but the brothers are a lot nicer than other frats.

- Alpha Sig is over a year old and is still new/small, but it might be a good fit for some guys out there. Who knows.

- DTD is the newest frat. I can't say much about them, I just know they are struggling with having consistent mixers/events since they don't have a frat house last year. Might change this year.

- I literally have no idea about anything with the engineering frat, Sigma Phi Delta, other than they have a group of guys no bigger than Alpha Sig. Apparently they just got their charter several months back. Who knew.

By: It depends
#3  by: greek   

I agree with most of the comments above, if you are serious about rushing you should go with where you feel like you fit in the best. However, rushing the newer fraternities comes with a lot of challenges, mainly socially, because they have a hard time mixing with the best sororities. And no offense to the comments above, but I think they downplay how tough that can be, especially for freshman in college who is really looking to have the best time, and the fact that a large part of JMU greek life is the social side. With that being said, there are currently 4 fraternities that the best sororities come to THEM to mix with: PIKE, KA, SX, and ATO. But like I said before I highly recommend you rush as many as you can, and then choose based off where YOU feel like you fit in best.

By: greek
by: YesAug 15, 2014 2:33:24 PM

I agree. But keep in mind that you shouldn't rush the "top" tiers only because they are the most socially out going and pull more girls. It starts in the fraternity. Just because they are "top" you might not like them. Rush fraternities you think you will fit in, even if it's a newer one, and go with that. The worst thing that can happen is you pledge a fraternity that you don't even like, but the reason why you stay is because they are top house. Take it from me, see what frat fits you.

By: Yes
#4  by: Yeah   

Fraternity tiers don't matter, thank God. It's really who matters and who doesn't.

KA, SX, SN, LXA, Pikapp, DX, KS, ATO, Pike are the main ones that matter

Fiji, SigEp, Delta Sig are good but pretty iffy in terms of relevance, but they are much more relevant than 2-3 years ago, so you can put them up in the "matter" tier if you want.

Theta Chee, TKE, AEPi, Delta upsilon, DTD, Alpha Sig, and anyone else do not matter whatsoever.

By: Yeah
by: nahAug 16, 2014 3:20:06 PM

Take out Kappa Sig and Delta Chi/Pi Beta Chi. Those two have been kicked off campus for a minimum of five years, Kappa Sig in the spring of 2012 and Delta Chi in the fall of 2013, to ensure that every guy who was a member at the time had graduated. So with no rules they do throw insane house parties that other fraternities can't because of IFC regulations. But they also have brutal hazing because the only way they can get in trouble because of it is if a kid dies. Stay away.

By: nah
by: ehAug 16, 2014 7:13:16 PM

Yeah on the KS and DX note: as cool as it is that they both have pretty sweet houses and throw grand parties, as stated not only will they haze terribly, but additionally, their size will decrease because with being underground comes the fact that they really aren't helping anyone long-term (DX getting 2 pledges last semester and KS has like 30 brothers..both not winning numbers in my mind).
So, if you are PURELY joining a fraternity for the parties and alcohol, go for it - join them, but not only will your parents most likely disagree with your choices, you'll have thrown a lot of money at a big blackout for 4 years. Which is awesome in its own right, but you can do that in legit fraternities and still come away with good connections, friends, and such as well.

And as great as SX is, they also had the whole BS go down this past spring/early summer; so, I'd just suggest being wary of rushing them at the moment until things settle down for them - though it will probably mean they will lower their standards for bids, which could mean a better chance you get in.

By: eh
#5  by: eh   

Not saying any of them are a like but this year from what IFC is showing in terms of roster numbers and what is known on campus as the status quo, the SIX fraternities that will be the hardest to get bids from are KA, Sig Chi, PIKE, ATO, Sig Nu and Pi Kapp. Not saying that these are similar fraternities but these should be the hardest to lock in a bid from.

By: eh

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.