facebook

will i be cut because i'm a legacy?

by:    

I'm a legacy for a sorority at ole miss. Multiple women in my family have been members of this sorority. Some of them were members at ole miss and are still active as alumni. Will other houses see my legacy status and cut me? I want to be open-minded and give every house a look. I'd hate for a house I could end up loving to cut me first round because they think I'm pledging my legacy house. Is there any way I can prevent this? Should I stay away from girls in my legacy house when I get up to ole miss? They're constantly asking me to go out with them and I love them and appreciate it but again I want to be open-minded and take a look at every house!

Posted By: Legacy pnm
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

It really depends on many factors.

Which house are you a legacy to? is it a top house? If we think you are locked into that house, we won't waste space on our lists. I understand your desire to keep an open mind, but understand we don't want to cut someone who will accept our bid just because you want to play the game. If your family members have been vocal about your legacy status we may have already cut you. An exception would be if you have friends or strong ties to another house and we feel we have a chance with you.

By: Maybe
by: Legacy pnm   

I don't want to say the house and give away too much info! I've seen a lot of pnms do that on here! My legacy house is considered top tier. I only have strong friends in one other house. I like my legacy house so I guess I should just accept that's where I'm getting a bid. Thanks!

By: Legacy pnm
#2by:    

If you want other houses to take a look at you, you must stay away from actives in your legacy sorority! Hang out with actives in other sororities if at all possible. Send us a clear signal you are interested in other houses!

If we know you are a legacy to another sorority and we see you hanging out with only them, you will easily be cut. We won't even feel bad about it.

By: Honestly

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
#3by:    

I am also a legacy to a house that is considered top tier.... But they're not talking to me/don't seem interested. Does this stuff still apply to me if my legacy house doesn't seem interested?

By: PNM
by: Depends    

Are you a chapter legacy? Meaning did your family member attend ole miss? If so, then this might apply to you. Other houses will see you're a chapter legacy and assume your legacy house is rushing you hard. But if you don't hang out or post pics with any of the actives, it'll help. If you aren't a chapter legacy, this stuff doesn't apply. You'll be treated as a normal pnm.

Why isn't your legacy house interested in you? Usually top houses rush their legacies hard core.. Inviting them to spring parties and to brunch at the house.

By: Depends
by: Mom?   

If you are a chapter legacy, why isn't your mom setting up meet and greets for you? Certainly she knows how important it is for you to meet as many actives as possible.

By: Mom?
by: different PNM   

Mom's do that? They just call up actives and set up a meet and greet with their daughter?

By: different PNM
by: Yes   

Alumni moms who are still involved in the sorority will set up meet and greets for their pnm daughters. They'll contact women from their pc and advisers to find actives for their daughters to eat lunch with or stay with in oxford. It's fairly normal. (I didn't pledge XO but) My mom was a XO and asked some of her contacts if they knew anyone (specifically XO actives) who could show me around ole miss since I was from out of state.

By: Yes
by: Flip side   

This is how connections work! Even for non-legacy girls! If you know a chapter legacy and she likes you, she will go out of her way to introduce you to as many people as possible!

For the sorority I received a bid for, the alumni who wrote my Rec (an ole miss alumni) called ladies in her pledge class and found out who had daughters currently in the house. Their daughters reached out to me and rushed me hard! Not only did I have their daughters and their active friends pulling for me, all the alumni friends of my Rec writer also went to bat for me!

Connections,connections. Connections!

It's way, way more than simply knowing a girl in the sorority!

By: Flip side
by: PNM again    

Yes, I am a chapter legacy. I know my mom has "alerted them of my arrival" and whatnot (many of her friends are still heavily involved and/or have daughters in the chapter). So I know they know who I am, but they don't seem interested. They don't really message me or comment on my pictures like I see them doing with other chapter legacies. Like I said, I know they know who I am, but they don't seem to be pursuing me necessarily. & this is my legacy house I'm talking about...

By: PNM again
by: Ummmmm   

Just because you are a legacy doesn't mean that 300 + girls want to automatically be your friend. Their lack of attention means one of two things.

1. They know that you will accept a bid to their chapter and don't feel the need to rush you as hard as some of the other girls going through. They also don't have to drum up votes for you, or campaign for you. They could be saving their efforts on others who need them more. Or

2. They are just not that into you. Just because your mom belonged to this sorority doesn't mean that you will automatically fit in. Don't accept a bid to your moms sorority just because it is s top tier and you think that is where you belong! It is way better to accept a bid to a house you fit into rather than to accept a bid to a house you will stick out like a sore thumb.

By the sound of your post, you think you are entitled to special treatment. I say get over yourself!

By: Ummmmm
#4by:    

I have noticed that 2 of the top tier houses have stopped adding girls and following them on social media in the past couple of weeks.

By: ole miss ...
#5by:    

If you're interested in another house, just seem interested when you're talking to them at rounds and it shouldn't make difference. let them know you're open-minded! i picked up a girl last year who was a legacy at another house and she did not show any interest during the whole round I had her. I could tell she just knew she was going to her legacy house so she did not get asked back to my house.

By: active
#6by:    

I was a chapter legacy at Ole Miss. I liked my legacy house. It was a top tier house but I really wasn't getting the feeling that it was good fit for me. I talked it over with my Mom that night and told her that while I enjoyed going there and liked the girls, I didn't get the feeling it would be the best house for me. She was disappointed but encouraged me to look for the place I felt at home. I did not pledge that house. I pledged what is considered a lower house and I have never been happier with a decision. I would keep your options open, let anyone who asks know that you are going in open minded. If you have recommendations being written for other houses make sure they know this as they can write that in your recommendation and you will be less likely to be cut from other houses.

By: been there
#7by:    

Get ready to like the sound of the word alpha

By: Um

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.