facebook

beta theta pi returning

by: AJ

I heard that the Beta Theta Pi fraternity UT chapter is returning to campus. Why did the chapter close and what was its traditional reputation?

Posted By: AJ
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: upper middle then died in   

Late 2000s

By: upper middle then died in
#2  by: Likely fall 2015   

The chapter lost its house due to costs relating to renovations in the 1990s. After that, their numbers started falling and nationals finally pulled the charter in 2010 with a chapter size of about 30.

By: Likely fall 2015
#3  by: beta?   

is beta or any new frat going to actually be competitive? Seems like the frat scene is pretty saturated already with high quality chapters at the top, the middle chapters that cant ever hope to move up unless one of the top got in trouble and a whole underbelly of peasant low tier frats barely eeking out an existence. I also hear delta upsilon (ducks?) Is planning to come to campus too. Doesnt sound sustainable unless theres serious financing involved in both cases.

By: beta?
#4  by: Du   

DU is returning Fall 2015, they will have a house at 2305 Leon. 3500 square foot house wholly owned by DU without any mortgage sleeps 12. DU will have some money as well. How DU and Beta do is a crapshoot both were on campus and had periods of success.

By: Du
by: JamesFeb 1, 2015 5:41:17 PM

How do y'all know all these things?

By: James
#5  by: Not likely   

Unless they have a near perfect house/location, it doesn't happen. A fraternity with a shack house with no yard will not succeed at UT.

By: Not likely
by: whodatFeb 2, 2015 8:31:15 AM

Whats an ideal spot for a house? Somewhere on west campus. Is thrre even any real estate left on west campus?

By: whodat
by: No Feb 3, 2015 4:41:49 AM

Hence why no new house will succeed. Small frats like pi kapp and lambda chi have tried to buy houses in WC, but ended up getting outbid by developers or stuck with a shack house.

There's a reason why Sigma Chi rose so fastly and it's pretty much because of their house/location.

By: No
#6  by: Looks like the    

Delta Upsilon location IS west campus and not a shack. Not big but not bad either. Good for them.

By: Looks like the
by: It'sFeb 3, 2015 4:44:04 AM

a relatively small house with no back-yard. Like have fun throwing mixers and parties in there. You can't really do a real round-up, you can't really have builds, and your parties are going to be pretty lame. When your social life is boring and limited, you're not going to have good sorority relations and you're not going to be able to rush well.

There's practically no chance for success.

By: It's
#7  by: My view   

DU could get to the Phi Delt, Pi Kapp level fairly quickly with their house going further will be hard a smart alumni group would be raising money and wait for a better house to come open.

By: My view
by: DU nerdsFeb 3, 2015 9:04:32 AM

DU was a nerd frat back in the day. KA literslly owned their ass by buying their origiinal house across the KA Manor and made it the KA annex.

By: DU nerds
by: yeehawFeb 3, 2015 2:24:06 PM

KA had a longstanding rivalry with DU being across from each other though it was more like KA bullying the poor basterds by shooting their cannon and using a sling to shoot stuff (bricks rocks etc) into the "Duck" house.

By: yeehaw
by: There is noFeb 4, 2015 12:18:22 AM

better house to come open. Every smaller fraternity has waited, and none of them have got anything except for Phi Psi. The difference is Phi Psi was willing to spend the money and had a lot of alum support. A DU chapter won't have that.

Any property that does become open is going to be get a massive bid from developers. Most fraternities won't have the funds to match them.

By: There is no
#8  by: DU   

DU sold their house to KA in 1997 made enough money to buy the house at 2305 Leon, they also have banked a fair amount of money and its my understanding they have invested fairly welI don't know if they will succeed but they have the resources to make a go of it. My guess is Betas in a pretty similar position.
Ill agree DU had a lot of engineering majors back in the day and was a little nerdy.

By: DU
by: But Why?Feb 9, 2015 5:32:41 PM

did DU fail? you don't just sell the house. "Hey I got an idea, lets sell the house and bank the money for nearly 20 years and start over from scratch" cuz we know that West Campus land values peaked in 1997

By: But Why?
#9  by: WTF   

WTF is delta upsilon? I looked it up and its a non secret fraternity. What a f'ing contradiction. Die already.

if the school wants to bring back or invite additional fraternities or sororities it needs to be more selective. IFC needs to be more selectivd. Ressurecting the traditional and Southern Sigma Nu would be a start.

By: WTF
#10  by: Do the math   

If you check the appraisal rolls and the Travis County Deed Records the DU house on Leon appraises for 500000 there is no deed of trust,that's a pretty nice down payment on a bigger house if the DUs have any money saved they could make a major bid if a better house came open.

By: Do the math
by: Not reallyFeb 9, 2015 8:23:06 PM

You have to pay at least 2 mil for a nice house. If there's a nice located property with enough land, a developer will come and take it. There's no national fraternity that isn't already established at UT Austin that will outbid developers.

By: Not really

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.