facebook

rush experience

by: Sophomore PNM

I've been on the panhellenic and individual sorority websites and I was hoping to gain more of an insight to what rush is like. Being a rising sophomore I saw many girls in hysterics over rush in my dorm last year but I was hoping some of you who didn't have quite as traumatic experiences could share your personal rush stories. Thanks!

Posted By: Sophomore PNM
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: @sophomorePNM   

Yep! This site is probably not the best place to look, but it is amusing. Positive remarks are probably self-ranking and negative remarks are from girls who were cut by that house or are in a social-climbing wannabe house. The best insight you have as a sophomore is from what you observed from girls in your dorm who were in houses -- who dropped after getting bids/during pledgeship, who got snap bids, who seemed happy, etc. I am in a house but I learned a lot about the other houses from the girls on my floor and I thank my lucky stars I am where I am. The hard part about rush as a freshman is you have so little time in each house (15 minutes on convo day!!) to really form a good opinion. Look at the Facebook pages, websites, Instagram, Twitter, etc. It's marketing, but it still gives you a feel. Also, try to find the USC Greek Awards list -- USC gives something to every chapter, but it gives you an idea who is excelling in what area. Some sororities really excel with their philanthropy on a national level -- I know a lot of the USC chapters are highly ranked with their nationals for their fund-raising and volunteer activities. That info should be on national websites. Good luck!

By: @sophomorePNM
#2  by: how it is   

Rush is basically one long week of interviews! On convo days, you will have the same 15 minute conversation ten times -- major, hometown, dorm, interests, etc. The sad thing is these conversations don't really matter b/c some houses have already decided who they're cutting before you even show up based on recs, registration form, etc. Each round gives you a better chance to spend some more time with each chapter and hopefully by pref you are paired with someone you have met before, so the conversation can be a little less superficial! The rush process has been compared with speed dating and it's true!

By: how it is
#3  by: Dont worry   

Rush is what you make of it. You have to go in with an open mind, disregard all of these silly comments on these sites and really try and base your decision on your experiences with the girls in each house. Try not to get too hung up on the "top houses" or other people's experience, because it is going to be different for everyone. Know if you don't get asked back to a certain house, it just means that they didn't see you fitting in well to their house, but there is somewhere for everyone. try and find the house that makes you feel the most at home and go with your gut. good luck

By: Dont worry
#4  by: bump   

try visiting all the websites of the sororities/frats

By: bump
by: try to relaxAug 9, 2013 10:48:18 PM

Yes, rush was stressful. You have to meet the girls and talk to them and see their house for yourself. Their facebook page is not going to help you much. You need to rush and see the girls in person to get a feel for each sorority. You know, rush is stressful for every girl, so you're not alone. Deep breaths!

By: try to relax

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.