facebook

sororities, engineering teams, classes

by: EngineeringGirl

I want to join a sorority, but I was wondering if there were any current sorority girls who are studying engineering who could tell me their opinions/advice. I'm taking five courses per semester this year, and it will be my first living on my own. I have completed two years of university at a different university. How is managing your academics and personal life (cooking, shopping, etc.)? Are you able to be active in other clubs; I want to also be involved in an Engineering team, Supermileage and/or Chem-E.

Also, there's a sorority specific for engineer girls, Alpha Omega Epsilon, but I think it's separate from the traditional sorority system at UBC. Could anyone tell me more about AOE if it's the same experience. However, I feel getting to know other girls from other faculties and being involved with a group outside of engineering would benefit me more.

Posted By: EngineeringGirl
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: /   

AOE is hardly a sorority. They don't participate in any of the exchanges or events in the greek system. Definitely go for the real sororities.
And I would day only joing 1-2 clubs max, greek life can keep you pretty busy but with basic time management it shouldn't be a problem.

By: /
#2  by: You can do it if you   

I take 5 courses/term and have just under a 4.0 currently, I live on my own and pay for everything on my own, I work, volunteer... and I am in a sorority! I will tell you it'S A LOT more of a time commitment than anyone will make it out to be in recruitment and costs a lot more too (each sorority varies). You can just pay your dues but then you're expected to go to events you need to pay for, donate to causes, buy all different kinds of clothes, etc. So consider your financial situation and ability to manage your finances, think about how easy school is for you and how much time you need to commit to your education. There's always he option of trying it out and if you really can't find a balance then dropping. I say it's worth giving a try because it can be very rewarding... and you'll never get an opportunity like this once you're done your degree.

Oh - you'll meet lots of girls in engineering too. One of my good friends is in her 4th year :)

By: You can do it if you
#3  by: Engineers   

There are a number of girls within the greek system who are in the engineering faculty as well! One in particular I know graduated with an honours degree, held an executive position in her sorority and still managed to remain social and have fun. It's all about finding the balance and knowing how to manage your time, academics are above all the highest aim of UBC sororities, and the chapter you choose will do whatever they can to support you and assist you in balancing your commitments, as well as your courses!

By: Engineers
#4  by: truth   

shut the fuc k up, UBC is a joke

By: truth

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.