facebook

This topic is NOT over:RACISM

by: Uhh

Top frats and srats have no people of color. Why is this? And why do post like this get deleted? Is it because we want equality? Don’t give me that uneducated response of attractiveness means a bid. People of color should be more prevalent in our top houses. Shame

Posted By: Uhh
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: See    

The argument that mostly white people rush which is why there are more white people
in top houses would make sense if mid and bottom houses had a lot of white people as well. However, there is a lot of diversity the lower the tier you go which is the problem for me.

By: See
by: .Jul 17, 2020 5:41:16 PM

All fraternities look for guys that fit in and all pnms look for fraternities that they fit into. Every fraternity has its own personality to it which will attract people from different backgrounds. Most of the “top” fraternities are by and large white but look at ATO it isn’t like that at all and some of the “lower” or “mid” houses are more diverse than others.

By: .
by: @ResponseJul 17, 2020 5:43:02 PM

That’s a really weird thing to say. Because you are “cool” enough to be in a good house, mostly everyone else of your race is automatically weird somehow.

By: @Response
by: Ugh again here’s it Jul 17, 2020 7:00:18 PM

Not that much really, you are not able to say that these houses are extremely diverse

By: Ugh again here’s it
#2  by: you're delusional   

if you're in greek life and you don't think it actively contributes to systematic racism, do you have any brain cells? or are you just trying to make yourself feel better with a list of excuses?

By: you're delusional
by: HahhahaJul 17, 2020 5:27:52 PM

If YOU had any brain cells you’d know it’s systemic not “systematic”. Makes me think you don’t even know what the term means and have no place to lecture others on it

By: Hahhaha
by: you're still delusionalJul 17, 2020 7:19:10 PM

both words exist sweetie <3 need some brain cells?

By: you're still delusional
#3  by: ????   

Why did this get any downvoted smh? Top houses can’t handle the truth. Y’all can go through weeks of hazing but can’t discuss the real problems of Greek life.

By: ????
#4  by: PNMS. Listen tf up.    

I agree, and you are SO right that there is discrimination and a high population of whites in sororities and frats. That’s why is SO important to have these discussions and get the conversation going. Top sororities AND frats shouldn’t be discriminating based on color. This is getter better and better every year, but a change needs to be made. I agree. Period.

By: PNMS. Listen tf up.
#5  by: Bump   

Bumpp

By: Bump
#6  by: huh   

Keep in mind there are a lot of "cultural" houses on this campus. The only people NOT allowed to hang out only with "their own" are Whites. If there were no "cultural" houses the IFC/Panhel ones would be much more diverse.

But people like to hang out with their own, why is that a crime?

Also why do you say the more culturally diverse houses are lower? Why don't you look at my house for example which is smaller and more diverse and say that WE are "top"? Sounds like YOU are the problem!

By: huh
#7  by: 🫡   

People of color usually join fraternities or sororities that are created specifically for them and mostly white people rush top houses

By: 🫡
#8  by: Bruv   

The funny thing no one is mentioning is that the smaller Chapters that are more diverse aren't considered top houses with one of the big reasons is because women from top sororities don't associate with them. This means that they will therefore lack in recruitment. Almost makes you wonder if the real problem is the Sororities only wanting to be with non-diverse Chapters.

By: Bruv
#9  by: House   

Why don’t black frats let white people in? I’m not saying what you’re saying is incorrect but it does go both ways.

By: House
#10  by: Panhellenic   

Check out primary recruitment and decide for yourself — ask the members about their chapter’s DEI boards, what they do to be inclusive and support the various UIUC communities and groups within their membership and beyond.

If the active chapter members have no answer or don’t do anything, that would be a red flag to me and likely not somewhere I’d have a good time or aligns with my values. Fraternities or Sororities that align with your values will be the ones you want membership (and those who will also be seeking PNM). Good luck during recruitment!

By: Panhellenic
by: OMGJul 18, 2022 7:38:54 PM

OMG no! If a soror has a DEI committee they will always be looking at you as "our Black sister" rather than "our sister". And thinking about race first when looking at PNM's. That is toxic - though maybe well-intentioned on the part of sheltered privileged kids.

If there is such a thing, join one that is not fake like that, but that treats you great the moment you walk in!

By: OMG
by: WBJul 23, 2022 11:02:53 AM

Predominately white Greek organizations have to do the work. Having a DEI board or other ways to for their membership to get involved in is a good thing.

I don’t think anyone said anything about race or labeling someone as not a sister first. If a PNM is passionate about DEI (or any number of interests or ways to connect), I would suggest to ask to members during recruitment about those things! Go with your instincts, if you feel off about a chapter that’s probably not a good fit.

By: WB

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.