facebook

dropping formal and wondering abt informal

by: ?

didnt get any of my top choices... sucks. tried to be open minded about the rest of them but i really dont see myself with any of them. wondering how common this is for girls to drop and if the good sororities (top/upper middle) ever do informal and what thats like

Posted By: ?
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: advice   

Refer to panhel’s site for informal and get to know girls in your top choices during the year to see if you click with them.

By: advice
#2  by: panhell   

Talk to panhellenic. Most houses will do informal. Numbers are way down this year.

By: panhell
#3  by: Don’t drop    

It’s so early in the process why not stick it out a bit longer and see if you change your mind on the choices you have left? At this point you’ve barely spent any time in the chapters what do you really have to lose? You might meet someone different you click with better or see or hear something that sways your opinion. You can always drop and try to do informal after later rounds but often the “good” houses have only a few spots left and they have a pretty good idea who they want to fill them.

By: Don’t drop
by: NahSep 10, 2019 1:10:30 PM

It’s better to not settle for a house and be miserable for the next 4 years wondering if other houses were better.

By: Nah
by: @nahSep 10, 2019 1:47:25 PM

It's also better to test it out, and go back for second invite, than try to informal top houses and end up in no sorority. :)

By: @nah
by: True Sep 10, 2019 2:48:04 PM

No ones saying she has to take a bid and be unhappy for 4 years. Just give the process another round or two before deciding to drop and who knows she might change her mind. Realistically if she is being cut this early from her top choices it will be hard to join informally even in an off year numbers wise.

By: True
#4  by: i'd drop   

you won't be happy with another house if you didn't get your top choices. you probably won't get any you like during informal either. overall recruitment numbers are down, so informal could possibly be better.

By: i'd drop
#5  by: pmn   

what houses did you have left?

By: pmn
#6  by: Sorority ~gal~   

Informal will probably be more common this year because the quota was smaller, so you do have better than usual chances of doing informal. Yes, you can email Panhellenic or individual houses recruitment counselors BUT generally only the houses that are lower ish or need a LOT of girls will formally put out advertisements about informal (ex: aopi had an icecream social 2 years ago and Panhellenic sent out an email about it to girls interested in informal) BUT my biggest advice is to talk to literally everyone you know about wanting to do informal or snap bids!!! I just happened to talk to a girl in a business org about how I kinda wish I joined a sorority, then she told me I could try informal rushing her house bc they were looking for 4 or so girls! Got in, have loved it ever since! But yeah that wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for me telling people in sororities to keep me in mind if they're doing informal!

By: Sorority ~gal~
#7  by: Truth hurts    

Choose a house that chooses you. If the top houses didn’t want you, it’s for a good reason. You wouldn’t be happy there. Everyone thinks they’re top house material but they really aren’t. The houses have a good idea of whether or not you’d fit in there given the recruitment process, and if you got dropped early, it’s because you definitely wouldn’t vibe there. So, give lower tier houses a chance. You might THINK you’re above them but chances are that you aren’t and you’d probably be happy enough finding friends in the houses that really actually do want you there. So, humble yourself and give the houses you have left a shot.

By: Truth hurts
#8  by: PSS Drop Out   

I don’t think that’s true. If I drop out if the pledge class can’t I accept a snap bid or informal? That doesn’t seem right that I should be stuck with a house I WILL NOT be happy with.

By: PSS Drop Out
by: national rulesSep 18, 2019 5:52:11 PM

National panhel rules. If you accept a bid (which is defined by ranking your houses after pref), you are allowed to drop but you are not allowed to rerush for a year. Email panhel, but they'll tell you the same.

By: national rules
by: idkSep 18, 2019 6:21:51 PM

talk to the girl in charge of new members. she will probably be understanding and talk you through your options. good luck! sorry about rush

By: idk
#9  by: 23   

there are good people in Every house! My old roommate was just like you about a house she didn’t vibe with at first last year but she stuck it out and now loves it (Not phi Sig) don’t listen to stereotypes and random insecure people trying to bash other houses to make themselves feel better once u meet people u like top houses are not important anymore

By: 23

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.