facebook

sophomore status

by: PNM

I'm a sophomore,but not a transfer student, and I'm interested in participating in formal recruitment. I have a decent enough gpa (~3.2) but I'm wondering if I will automatically be cut from certain houses just because I'm a sophomore?

Posted By: PNM
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: no   

your chances are lower, but if the girls like you then its not an issue

By: no
#2  by: you'll be cut   

you're gpa isn't that good to carry you, you're a sophomore and I know my house works to recruit mostly freshmen. We are able to be selective, and honestly we want girls who will be around longer, and will pay more dues. We will take a few sophomores, but they will need to have that much better of a gpa.

By: you'll be cut
by: guyDec 29, 2013 2:26:30 PM

Ive heard this from multiple girls. How does bidding a freshmen over a sophomore give your chapter more dues? Yea the soph graduates a year earlier, but doesnt that just make another spot open for another girl to join?

By: guy
by: fyiDec 29, 2013 6:39:35 PM

idk how this girl would explain it, but for the chapter, if a girl graduates early (or is a sophomore) then they have to recruit sooner to fill her spot. Recruitment costs a lot of money, and it's risky for chapters to possible take on open spots if they don't get to recruit. Even if you're at total (110 this fall) being at 120 would be better.

By: fyi
#3  by: ?   

^ see some people on this website post exactly what you commented saying sophomores will be cut and will have a hard time because they are sophomores, meanwhile other posts say that sophomores should not worry and will be fine because it is still okay to rush as a sophomore..

By: ?
by: itDec 29, 2013 2:27:43 PM

It depends on which sorority you are talking about. Generally speaking, you have a much greater chance of being cut but if you really connect with the girls it is still a possibility. The Big 6 are/can be much more selective than middle tier.

By: it
#4  by: ?   

generally speaking lets say KD or DG, i've met a bunch of girls in those chapters that I felt I could really get along and connect with. How strict are they with sophomore transfers?

By: ?
by: yeaDec 29, 2013 4:28:59 PM

like depends said. If they like you and really connect with the girls I dont think it will be an issue. Not specifically at DG or KD, but I do know girls who have rushed as sophomores and gotten into top tier sororitys (aphi). There just arent that many sophomore rushes in the first place which is why its hard to say, and a lot of times its possible that a sophomore rushing is a less than desirable girl. I would make it known that you are very interested in their chapter

By: yea
#5  by: Depends   

It just depends on how much the girls in KD and DG like you. Both are great chapters with nice girls and if you connect with them I don't think they will cut you just because you are a sophomore. Especially if you pick one you like over the other and show that you are REALLY interested in the house then they will know you are devoted to the chapter already and will like that

By: Depends
by: fyiDec 29, 2013 6:41:55 PM

posting again to give you a heads up. DG had a terrible pledge class last year where they had to take a lot of sophomores. This won't happen two years in a row. They're going to work their butts off to get the BEST freshmen, not sophomores.

By: fyi
by: ..Dec 29, 2013 6:44:33 PM

If thats what they are aiming for then they are just going to get another bad pledge class by limiting themselves and their options where they could possibly miss out on some awesome sophomores.

By: ..
by: ahahaDec 29, 2013 8:15:57 PM

laughing at how naive this person is, if you dont think there are enough quality freshmen to complete a pledge class, then you're very mislead. Rush isnt competitive like it is at other schools where girls dont get placed, but it is for the "top tier" sororities. I would look at KD, Kappa (they wont be able to be as selective), DDD, and ChiO if I was a sophomore. Good houses, but can't be quite as picky.

By: ahaha
#6  by: :)   

If you are very interested in a chapter(s), how do you make it known that you are really interested? Without actually saying it (coming off biased) or implying it in an unfair or inappropriate way?

By: :)
by: ImFratDec 30, 2013 2:12:37 AM

Just wanted to say this a great question to ask. Props to you for having the tact to know beforehand

By: ImFrat
#7  by: Hmmm   

When I went through recruitment I really liked one of the houses above that you talke about but I won't say which one, when I was done talking to my girl on the very last round I had already talked to her before so we knew each other pretty well, if you make it to pref round for KD or DG they will have you talk to a girl you already met, so you will feel comfortable. Say something like thank you so much I've really enjoyed talking to you these past couple rounds and I love your house. This is subtle but the girl you're talking to will know how interested you are and hopefully give you a great score, it worked for me!

By: Hmmm
#8  by: what about   

Is it good to say that to the chapters that you really like right off the bat? To help get asked back for the next rounds?

By: what about
#9  by: Uhh   

Maybe not right away. If you are normal and have good grades you will probably get asked backed to any house after the first round. Just make sure you act interested in those houses, if you aren't acting interested or you talk about another house then you will get cut

By: Uhh
#10  by: point blank   

With a 3.2 and being a sophomore, you're going to be cut from top houses pretty quick

By: point blank
by: It dependsDec 30, 2013 2:16:08 AM

Maybe. It depends. Judge yourself honestly. Look at how the girls are going to judge you when you walk through the doors. Are you especially attractive? Do you appear to have a lot of money? Is your personality top notch and are you surrounded by friends, or do you still have a lot of room for developing yourself? If you're a sophomore with a 3.2, are anything under a 7/10, and aren't the coolest person yes you will be cut. But if you're a well put together girl and deserve a chance you will get one.

By: It depends

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.