facebook

what's each fraternity like here?

by: co28

I'm rushing next year (incoming freshman) and I'd love to know a bit about each fraternity before I get into rushing. All the info I have right now is tiers and I'm looking for more like common personalities/traits I guess

Posted By: co28
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: 234   

what about snu, KA, and zbt

By: 234
#2  by: Confused incomer    

So is deke the same thing as SAE, and phisi is the same as sigma chi? and why? When they get kicked off or have their charter revoked they just change into something else until they can come back?

By: Confused incomer
by: Fact ManFeb 28, 2024 11:07:04 AM

They're not "the same," so to speak. When DKE's charter was revoked, their new guys went SAE instead. Same thing happened with Sig Chi's rushes going to Phi Psi. The confusion and use of both names will probably last another couple years, and then will fade out of usage as the Sig Chis and DKEs graduate. As far as changing back to Sig Chi or DKE, my guess is that won't happen. More complicated to switch frats again than to stick with the house you took over, especially for DKE since SAE is such a brand name. Last I heard though, Phi Psi was still running Sig Chi's ritual (which is hilarious), so who knows? Maybe they'll ditch the glass house and go back to Sigma Chi.

By: Fact Man
#3  by: Fact Man   

SAE: Took on too many weirdos before the DKE guys latched on. Half the chapter is chill guys with a good rep that mix with Theta and the other half is rejects from the 2022 rush cycle when SAE originally chartered. I would dodge them unless you meet guys you like well enough to deal with the ones you don't like. Not sure what their hazing looks like. Best on-campus house by a MILE.

#4  by: Fact Man   

ATO: Hardest frat to forecast, in my opinion. Massively improved reputation over the last five years. One of the largest chapters. Their social functions aren't full of dimes, but they're pretty consistently packed (can be a blessing and a curse, I'm told they have had issues with creeps at their parties and spiked drinks). Brothers are a mix of goobs and good guys, which is the case for a lot of frats. Perpetually on suspension because people throw beer cans on their house, lol. Lots of tailgates with live music if you're rockin with that. I would say mid tier, good group of guys, could just as easily be top, bottom, or gone in a few years.

#5  by: Fact Man   

ZBT: Consistently the largest frat by a decent margin. Whether that's because they're good or because they're generous with bids I'll let you decide. Lots of guys that are stoners in the engineering school. Generally, a lot of people I like. Upper-middle tier, very large, well-attended events for the most part (as Vandy goes), and a clean reputation as far as SA is concerned (to my knowledge). They are on suspension pretty much every spring for hazing. I am told lots of physical conditioning and liquor hazing, which is a big no-no with OGL. Be prepared for that mentally if you rush there. Generally the most stable frat in terms of rankings; they're pretty much always in the middle.

#6  by: Fact Man   

Phi Psi: Similar to SAE in that they were colonized by a top-tier frat that got kicked off, but instead of having a bunch of baggage to deal with in terms of creeps, they only had 4 other guys when Sig Chi's class joined. Their recruiter from nationals was ASS, haha. Anyway, this is a small chapter, and very new, so I don't have a lot of info. The Sig Chi contingent is chill and generally draws a pretty cool crowd to their events. Think small kickbacks rather than ragers, but everyone there is pretty good-looking. No idea what their hazing is like right now. Their house is 90% glass panes, and it's next to 2 res colleges, so it's one of the worst on campus places I'd say.

#7  by: Fact Man   

Phi Delt: Still riding a wave of post-colonization publicity, I think. Generally, frats colonize with a large class, and then fall off for a couple years because they can't recruit. Didn't happen with Phi Delt; they seem like they're doing fine. If you're looking for a frat with a "non-fratty" rep, this is the place, I think. Their parties are okay (not good, not bad, just aight). Supposedly a lot of bi dudes, though I can't confirm more than 1 or 2. Mix with ADPi (several couples I think) which, along with their rush targets, puts them in competition with Pike. Could be on the up-and-up but I'd say unproven. Could be a good palce to go if you're looking for a chance to build your own thing, idk. Low-mid.

#8  by: Fact Man   

KA: Second-most "stable" after ZBT. They tend to fall on the boundary between top-tier and middle-tier for most people. They have a pretty loyal audience with Tridelt and Theta; I often see the same people at their parties for the most part. They are ALWAYS suspended; it's like a running joke on campus. That said, they have a traditional Southern frat rep (what's new), generally keep a low profile, and throw good events. Definitely hazing here. This would be one of my top picks for a good time along with ZBT and SNu.

#9  by: Fact Man   

Test message

#10  by: Fact Man   

Browser was being weird for a second. Back to work.

SNu: Generally people's second or third pick. Top-tier for sure. Tend to get smarter guys; somehow always bid a bunch of computer science majors (not the smelly kind, the bro kind). Did a philanthropy with Kappa not too long ago. They are second largest I think, and generally throw really well-attended on-campus stuff, even with stiff competition on tailgate days and holidays, etc. They have a pretty clean rep because they had a lot of guys involved with IFC for a while, so they do a good job staying out of trouble. Would be one of my top three places to be as long as they get off suspension soon and stick around. Also, they haze relatively hard from what I've heard.

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.