facebook

questions about recs and such

by: Help

I have quite a few questions and any answers will be greatly appreciated. I'm out-of-state transfer from a community college and I will be 21 when I go through rush. I also have a 3.9 GPA. I understand my options are limited. I am a legacy to Phi Mu. Will that help me out or no?

1)My sister was a Phi Mu, will that play into the decision. I'm not sure how legacy or rush works at all
2)What are the top, middle and bottom tiers? Or is that a matter of opinion?
3) When getting letters of rec, do you need a different one from alumnae for each house? Could I use my sister as one because she was a Phi Mu? Or Should she pull some strings with her sorority sister to write me a letter? Or could I do both? Basically, can I use the same letter for each house?
4) I have been told you still have to pay for the sorority house and meal plans even if you don't live there? Is that true? I understand sororities are big financial commitment, but I would probably be more comfortable living in dorms my first year.

I know nothing about Greek life, just that I'm interested in joining lol. Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out! I look forward to reading your replies

Posted By: Help
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Sister   

It seems your sister should be able to answer most of these questions since she was greek.

By: Sister
by: thanks!Jan 21, 2015 9:25:00 PM

she wasn't greek at ole miss or any school in the south. She wouldn't know

By: thanks!
#2  by: greek   

all of your questions can be answered with a little research. this website is not a place to find valuable information.

By: greek
#3  by: hi   

As far as I know, family members cannot write recs, and it is recommended to get at least one rec for each chapter on campus from an alum from that sorority (like a Kappa Delta alum would need to write your rec for Kappa Delta and a Phi Mu alum would need to write your rec for Phi Mu, and so on- so you can't use the same rec for each house).

By: hi
#4  by: ...   

First year members never live in the sorority house so don't stress about that. All members are required to pay for meals plus other various required fees.

By: ...
#5  by: Msu   

It doesn't matter where your sister was greek. She should know all of these answers.
Or
Research
Wrong place for these questions.

By: Msu
#6  by: What?   

I'll answer....first of all, your GPA is really good, but you'll be competing with 18-year-olds with up to 4.5s from high school. But college GPAs are rated more valuable than high school, so that's in your favor.
But 21 and rushing? Again, you'll be competing with 18-year-olds with 4 years to give the sorority instead of your 2. And do you really want to be thrown together with 100+ 18-year-olds for a full semester? And next year, most of the 21- and 22-year olds will have graduated.

That said....it's possible, but realize you will be released right away from most groups.
Your legacy connection MAY only get you an invitation back to the second round. But chapters are not bound to that, so it may mean squat.
Tiers - don't worry about that. You'll be lucky to get in a group. And frankly, it really doesn't matter anyway - every sorority pretty much does the same things and the experience is pretty much the same.
YES, you need recs, especially at any school in Mississippi. Recs come from alumnae of the sorority. Extra point or two if it's from an alumna of the MSU chapter. Some sororities allow the member sister to write a rec, some don't. Your sister should know.
Everybody shares the expenses of the house. Will you not use the electricity, heating and cooling, water and toilet while you are there for meetings and parties?

By: What?
by: What?Jan 23, 2015 11:15:49 AM

Plus if you pledge, you'll probably be eating most of your meals at the house. First-year students don't live in the house because it's usually already filled. Besides, you'll have already signed a lease or signed something that will bind you to an apartment or room.

Overall, I'd say it's possible to pledge, but unlikely. Older girls who pledge usually already have close friends in the house. You won't be able to be picky. Be happy and grateful for whatever group you get, and do your best to build up that group and be a good member. And remember that life doesn't stop if you are released. There are LOTS of other students who AREN'T greek.

But if you'd like the experience - and it IS an experience - go through. At least you'll know that you tried, and you'll meet a LOT of women who could become friends later whether you pledge or not.
Best of luck!

By: What?
by: thank you!Jan 24, 2015 12:35:11 AM

Thanks for your response! I'll be happy to get into any sorority. I'm probably going to be sophomore with how my credits will transfer. So i'll definitely be at MSU for longer than two years. I've heard not many girls stay in the sorority all four years bc of the cost but I'm not sure if there is any truth to that.
I know i can get recs and i honestly believe if i put my best foot forward i will get a bid somewhere.
The reason why I asked about the tiers is because I was wondering if Phi Mu was "highly ranked" i know rush week is going to be a tough week. I'm preparing from now:/
Ive heard some sophmore/juniors get in though.
When is rush week at MSU?
I know at Ole Miss it is at the end of September, so I'd have time to get to know some of the girls in the houses before rush week, If MSU does it the same way

By: thank you!
#7  by: good job   

You absolutely rock @what?

By: good job
#8  by: MSU   

MSU's recruitment is mid August... the week before classes start. If you want to meet sorority members it needs to be this spring.

I will not speak to "tiers", but I will say that Phi Mu is selective during recruitment. However they do appear to be more open to community college transfers than other groups. I'm sure they give legacies a fair chance but also know that they have released legacies with strong connections to the chapter (as has every chapter at MSU).

Sooo there is no way to know what will happen although I tend to agree with the post above.

By: MSU
#9  by: Phi mu   

I will speak for phi mu. I believe this year, for bid day, only two transfers received bids out of 86 given. I may be one off but that is what I remember. Yes, strong legacies were considered for bids but some legacies were cut. Come to spring review day and let us meet you! Don't wait!!

By: Phi mu

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.