facebook

Honest advice for OOR girls

by: Helper

Please understand that when people say "out of state" it doesn't necessarily mean they are talking about far out of state. Out of state usually refers to girls coming in from nearby southern states, TN, AL, GA, LA, and even FL. Yes states like KY, SC, TX, VA, and NC are in the south but are considered a gray area because honestly, if you are driving 8-14 hours to come to State it's not really the same as the other girls. And then we have far out of state, known as out of region girls from the north, midwest, west coast...
If you are an out of region girl please don't be offended or upset when all the top houses cut you. There are way too many girls with in house connections through hs and camps all trying to pull their friends in. Great girls with strong resumes and attitudes will be completely overlooked because it's a numbers game. Please please please don't take it personally!! Instead, keep an open mind, don't put the non top houses below the line, and don't take cuts personally. You WILL find a home here at MSU. Please don't get caught up in the tiers. Recruitment for you is very different than recruitment for everyone else. Maximize your chances. Let me say that again... MAXIMIZE YOUR CHAMCES. Chi Omega, Delta Gamma, Kappa Delta, and Phi Mu (alphabetical order) take 1-4 out of region girls every year. Think about that. Of the 80 bids handed out, just 2 may be to out of region girls, and those 2 have inside ppl helping them or they havea very unique hook. Many of the OOR girls are devastated when they only have 2 houses left on philanthropy day because they dropped other houses early on. First day cuts are GPA, recs and reps. (Yes, some houses do still require recs) If you don't have 20+ from those 4 houses following you rn, then you are not highly sought after and you will be dropped after day 2 or 3.
Now reread this post and think on it. You need to do what's best for you. There are great girls in every house. I'm trying to point these things out so you go in with your eyes open and you have a realistic plan and expectations.
MSU is amazing and I would like everyone to have an amazing recruitment experience.

Posted By: Helper
Post Reply Report
Page 2 of 2
#11  by: Truth   

This advice was written by someone whose house does poorly in recruitment. They are trying to convince OOR women that they should cut their favorite houses. This advice if given for one reason alone--to up their own return rates. Do not listen to this advice. Regardless of where you are from, follow your heart and your instincts. You may have a tougher time statistically getting a bid to a popular house because you don't have an insider pulling for you. However, every chapter extends bids every year to women without connections that they adore. Good luck!

By: Truth
#12  by: Truth   

This advice was written by someone whose house does poorly in recruitment. They are trying to convince OOR women that they should cut their favorite houses. This advice if given for one reason alone--to up their own return rates. Do not listen to this advice. Regardless of where you are from, follow your heart and your instincts. You may have a tougher time statistically getting a bid to a popular house because you don't have an insider pulling for you. However, every chapter extends bids every year to women without connections that they adore. Good luck!

#13  by: Truth   

The truth is that the so-called top 3 have their lists already ready. PNMs tank so that they believe they have a choice when in reality, it is the sororities calling the shots.

OOR girls are not as well known as they have not had the chance to visit and do things like attend Derby Days and the cheer event. it is easier to cut someone that you do not know instead of a girl that is a neighbor or went to school with you. it is a simple fact.

however, list your houses how your heart leads you to list…you will always wonder what if. however, go into recruitment with a open mind and you will find your place.

by: thisAug 7, 2023 4:24:17 PM

@truth is 100%%%%%%

By: this
#14  by: it's time   

It's time for the new pc23 to read and learn

By: it's time
#15  by: Yessss   

I found this to be very true when I was a pnm last year. Apparently variable quota is being used again so it will be very similar again this year.

By: Yessss
#16  by: Pnm   

Trying to stay positive but completely shocked when I only got back 4 this morning.
I think I was numb through my first party. She seemed nice but I'm afraid I came off bad cause it was immediately after I got my list.

By: Pnm
by: Active Aug 12, 2023 1:52:40 PM

It’s okay. We know you all just got your schedules and emotions are high. Try to stay positive even though it sucks.

By: Active
by: HugsAug 14, 2023 3:38:20 PM

Sending hugs to you girl. Such a hard week but trust the process. You'll find sisters who love you wherever you end up.

By: Hugs
#17  by: Active   

READ AND LEARN!!!!

By: Active
#18  by: Ella   

FACTZZZZZ

By: Ella
#19  by: commaroon8589   

Different perspective: our daughter is out-of-state, almost out of region. She was pretty intentional about giving all the srats a look but focusing most on those which pledge a lot of out-of-state girls. I don’t know how she ordered them, but she reasoned that she’d have an easier time connecting with people who shared her challenges (not being able to get home quickly, etc) and who didn’t already know 100+ people from high school.

It’s been great! She joined what this forum classifies as a mid-tier group and never looked back..

By: commaroon8589
by: YezzzzMay 18, 2024 10:52:37 AM

Congrats to ur daughter!!

By: Yezzzz

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.