facebook

Why do sororities get removed?

by: what

Why do sororities get kicked off at Mizzou? Or is it their nationals pulling them? I found out recently that we used to have AOII here, and they used to live in a dorm. My Aunt was an alpha gamma delta here too and she said that the current sigma kappa house was originally theirs! I'm just confused because these sororities are super strong nationally and in the SEC, so why not at Mizzou?

Posted By: what
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: idk   

I don't know about the older sororities but I know now the main reason now is retention rates and money. Tri-sigma couldn't gain/keep members, and so they lost their house because they couldn't pay for it, and then after they lost the house more than half the sorority dropped so their nationals pulled them because it was costing more to keep them on campus than what the profit was. I know at other schools sororities get pulled FAST if there are hazing allegations.

As for other sororities, I know we had alpha epsilon phi wayyy long ago and TKE's house right now was theirs originally! We also used to have sigma delta tau, they lived in a east campus house which I don't think is around anymore

By: idk
by: ^not quite^Apr 11, 2024 1:07:41 PM

You've got it a bit wrong. While their nationals did close the SSS chapter because of declining numbers, it had nothing to do with "profit" or so-called costs "to keep them on campus". Without the expense of paying for and maintaining a house, a chapter can cover their costs with their per-person membership dues just fine. They could have continued if it were just a money issue because sororities are not businesses that exist to return an investment on the backs of their chapters.

No. The closing came about because the chapter became unsustainable through struggling to recruit and retain members. This had been going on for a while, and losing the house made it even worse. This type of situation tends to become a downward spiral for sorority chapters that is almost impossible to come back from. There is no sense continuing a chapter that can't offer a quality member experience so doesn't come close to bidding quota year after year. No amount of money will make a house recruit or retain better, or change perceptions of them.

This is the reason that 99% of sorority chapter closures happen. The best thing to do is break the cycle by removing the chapter and waiting at least 5 years for re-establishing. It is heartbreaking for those members, but the only way to fix it in the long run. It's not and never has been about making money.

By: ^not quite^

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.