facebook

Can I still join a sorority

by: Tgr

And if it’s not too late - how? I missed out on recruitment and would like to know more about joining

Posted By: Tgr
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Sue   

Wait for Spring recruitment- look at PHA website or see if anyone is doing COB

By: Sue
#2  by: COB   

axo phi mu and sk are doing cobs i believe they have links in their bios to fill out if your interested! :)

By: COB
#3  by: Hate to be rude   

Hun, you're in college now. And you have access to the web. It's time for you to learn how to research these things on your own instead of asking random people.

By: Hate to be rude
#4  by: Advice    

Hey girlie, so unfortunately joining this fall is no longer possible, everyone will do their new member class initiation within the next few weeks. Normally each semester some chapters will participate in continuous open bidding (COB) after primary recruitment, this is to help fill each chapter’s idealized membership quota and is an informal way of meeting some the girls of a chapter at fun, cute events for the opportunity to receive a bid for membership. Depending on membership retention and how well a chapter performed in primary recruitment, they may or may not participate in COB in the fall. COB is mainly done spring semester. At that point everyone will have had members who have dropped, transferred, or gone inactive, so in spring everyone participates. However, spots available will vary depending on the sorority and their needs, but I’d say approximately 7-25 bids will be given on per chapter. Like I mentioned before COB is an informal process, and with that I say it’s not as a fair and equal of a chance to gain membership than primary recruitment. Having connections with underclassmen (respected lol)members or someone on the exec council can have a lot of influence on who gets bids, of course a few girls with no connections do get bids but that’s definitely the minority. And secondary factors would be your newly established college gpa, and college involvement. We want to see that you were able to make the most of your Mizzou experience and were able succeed in collegiate academics when you weren’t in a sorority- that you can be an asset. If you don’t have a 3.0 gpa after this fall semester, it’s probably not going to work out unless you’re super pretty and personable and that’s only for a select few sororities I won’t name. I think doing COB in the spring is worth a shot, just be aware it’s extremely competitive due to limit spots.

If you’re patient enough to wait, doing primary recruitment as a sophomore is a great and wise option. Tons of sophomores go through recruitment and make it in, don’t worry. It can give you the option to be put into consideration by every chapter, and nepotism isn’t really present like in COB. There’s less of a chance you’d feel as if you settled when you have numerous options.

And i know it doesn’t feel great to miss out on things you would be interested, but your time is soon to come. Make the best of your experience as a student in all aspects this semester and allow yourself to enjoy Mizzou. Study hard, meet new people, challenge yourself, attend sporting events, dabble in some romance, learn about other walks of life, experience new things all while you wait. Wish you the best of luck in your college journey

By: Advice
by: Word of AdviceSep 26, 2023 12:18:45 PM

Stay far away from houses that do a lot of COBing. They have major retention issues, losing lots of women because they flunk out, can't make grades or don't have an interest in staying a member.

By: Word of Advice
by: false Sep 29, 2023 3:13:18 AM

this is unfortunately false as i went on a cob date today…..
but yes do fill out the form in there bios asap if interested only like 2 houses are still doing cob rn

By: false
by: The TruthSep 29, 2023 1:45:47 PM

This is how COB works. They ask a bunch of women who are friends of people in the house if they want to go to a party or two. There is no geographical diversity and, lord knows, there is no racial diversity. But if you want to be in a house that is desperate for members and cares so little about its quality that it only takes friends of members, go for it.

By: The Truth
by: OhOct 2, 2023 10:08:05 PM

@false hope you got your bid! I’m just surprised anyone struggled this long to get their full class. I have a pretty good idea of which house this probably is, but still surprised bc they always do well enough in recruitment, but maybe your the upperclassmen retention is doing rough so you needed a bigger freshman class to compensate? Anyway you made it just in time for hoco craziness haha

By: Oh

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.