facebook

new chapter

by: tide

what's the next sorority chapter that will be added to our community?

Posted By: tide
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Active   

There's not one. I'm not sure if we're open for expansion right now but a few sororities submitted presentations a few years ago but none were accepted. There are only a few we don't have that could support a chapter at alabama and two of them are having major colonizations in the next few years. I would say Sigma Kappa has the best chance with Alpha Xi and D Phi E following close behind. The others are mostly too small nationally. It would help if sdt could get back on the row, maybe in the old alpha gam house since the lot's too small for anything else.

By: Active
by: SezmeMay 22, 2015 12:25:18 AM

I agree that Sigma Kappa is the most likely.
Alpha Xi Delta will NEVER come back, ever.
Delta Phi Epsilon is just too small.
Sigma Sigma Sigma....maybe....but probably not. SK at least has a chapter at Auburn, but I think that's the only SEC school where they have a chapter.

By: Sezme
by: greekMay 22, 2015 12:56:56 AM

I believe they also have a chapter at UF.

By: greek
by: Alpha Xi DeltaMay 22, 2015 1:14:52 AM

What happened with them? Why won't they ever come back?

By: Alpha Xi Delta
by: ActiveMay 22, 2015 1:25:02 AM

First replier may have more info to share than me, but I think there was some bad blood involving Alpha Xi's departure. I'm assuming they were the bottom chapter of their time and were bullied off campus.

by: true infoMay 22, 2015 10:17:57 PM

Alpha Xi will come back, and is most likely the next group with Sigma Kappa. There's no bad blood, it was just numbers, like how a lot of groups had closures during that time, before RFM. RFM and greek interest and a lot of other factors since then have strengthened greek life and whenever they come back or another group comes back, they'll do just fine.

By: true info
#2  by: Agree   

Sigma kappa has chapters at Florida, Georgia, Clemson, auburn, Tennessee, etc. they would do well here

By: Agree
by: I believeMay 22, 2015 3:20:53 PM

They have a chapter at Mizzou too

By: I believe
by: I believeMay 22, 2015 3:20:54 PM

They have a chapter at Mizzou too

By: I believe
#3  by: Active    

I believe Alpha Xi Delta has already recolonized at Alabama after they left the first time and they still couldn't stay on campus. I think that's why they won't come back.

by: ActiveMay 22, 2015 2:04:04 PM

If I'm looking at the dates correctly, Alpha Xi hasn't been back since RFM was implemented. I think if they did some heavy recruiting and got a house right away they could be successful if they tried again. I know it's not likely, but chapters don't close as easily as they used to before.

by: ActiveMay 22, 2015 7:50:02 PM

I think it's more that they don't want to come back. They've already been unsuccessful twice and I don't think they'd want to spend so much money and be unsuccessful a third time.

by: true infoMay 22, 2015 10:21:37 PM

For the record Alpha Xi's Alpha Tau chapter was open from 1927-1972 and from 1981-1988. They just recolonized at Wisconsin, which is their 3rd go around there. Like people said, it was before RFM and things have changed. And it is true that chapters don't close as easily as they used to. I think when the time is right, both Alpha Xi Delta and Sigma Kappa will be back on campus and be successful. Alabama is an incredible greek system, with tons and tons of amazing girls rushing, you can't do badly here.

By: true info
by: greekchatMay 22, 2015 11:06:35 PM

Oh, and Alpha Xi Delta presented in 2007 with Alpha Phi and Delta Gamma, so, it's not that they don't want to come back. Recolonizing chapters is valuable for any NPC group.

And examples of groups on their 3rd go around:
AXO at Arizona
Phi Mu at Arkansas, Illinois, Minnesota
DZ at San Diego State
Pi Phi at Stanford
Alpha Phi at Stanford, Duke
SDT at USoCal
AEPhi at UConn, GWU, Miami (OH),
AOII at FSU, Michigan, Oregon State
Alpha Xi at Illinois, Wisconsin
SK at Illinois, Michigan, Mizzou
Zeta at Michigan, Longwood
ADPi at Mississippi State
DPhiE at Adelphi, Syracuse
TriSigma at Kent State, Shepherd

By: greekchat
by: Active May 22, 2015 11:12:48 PM

I didn't mean for it to come across rude when I said that they had been unsuccessful. It would be great to have another sorority on campus! But I don't think that Alabama is the most welcoming campus at the moment for any new house. After everything that happened last year and just the overall cutthroated-ness of the Greek system in general, I think most sororities are not jumping the gun to colonize at Alabama. And you have to remember that the housing situation is not the best at the moment since all the swing houses are occupied and there aren't many free lots. DG, who only came on 4 years ago, did a great job colonizing but they have loads of southern alumni and lots and lots of money. I'm not sure if any of the houses that aren't at Alabama would be able to do as good of a job as DG was able to.

#4  by: Seriously?   

None! We can't handle what we have now!

By: Seriously?
#5  by: Sezme   

Yes, AZD was here twice, both times at the house that Gamma Phi Beta just vacated. AZD built that house and owned it for years.
They spent a lot of money both times, and the other sororities made it very, very, very difficult for them. All the groups talked hateful about them, made fun of them.
But....if they're going to come back, NOW is the time. UA has tons of PNMs, record-breaking PNM classes....but mostly, the university will lend money to build or remodel a house.
So....who knows? It could happen. OTOH, you have to pledge and keep a LOT of members to make the mortgage payments.

By: Sezme
by: AXiDMay 23, 2015 12:23:51 PM

The main reason they closed the first time was that they dug themselves a financial hole they couldn't get out of by building a new house (in the late 1960s). They just didn't have the numbers to cover the cost.

I can vouch for the other Greeks being awful to them the second time they were on campus. A friend of mine was a grad student around the time that they closed, and one time when I came for a visit one of his neighbors, an Old Row fraternity guy, told us about a really cruel prank he and his brothers pulled on AXiD.

By: AXiD
#6  by: also   

like above said, finances are a big thing, especially considering the cost of colonizing at Alabama. Everything that happened last year most likely scared some of the groups not currently on campus, with all the drama. I think that if any group puts in a bid to recolonize and spend the massive amounts of money required, they just want to make sure they'll be successful this time around.

I think that it's a good point that now or in the near future will be the time for interested groups to recolonize, because of the university lending money for housing and the record number of PNMs. Hopefully when a new group(s) come on campus, the rest of panhellenic and the greek community will be welcoming at the least.

And according to the master site plan that was done, there were several lots available for future building and with groups relocating it's possible that their houses could serve as temporary housing for a new group.

Hopefully both Alpha Xi Delta and Sigma Kappa will come back!

By: also
#7  by: Active   

If any chapter should come back, it should be Sigma Kappa, closely followed by AXiD. Especially now with all the PNMs coming through, I mean the class numbers will really only grow from here and we already put on the largest rush in the nation. Even though they've both been here before and AXiD is working on colonizing at Texas Tech this fall, they should and very well could return to Alabama within the near future. And if not one of those I'd really love to see a DPhiE or a Tri Sig.

#8  by: opinion   

I think either Sk or AXiD would do well. Possibly DPhiE but I don't think TriSig does well at big campuses. They especially struggle at Chapel Hill and Mizzou

By: opinion
by: butMay 24, 2015 4:36:19 PM

on the other hand, they weren't selected to recolonize because they didn't have the resources to support that kind of colony. And they might be the "fastest-growing" but that's because they have so many places left to expand to since they're one of the smaller nationals. DPhiE is at some bigger schools, but like the rest of the smaller nationals, they're primarily at niche schools without housing commitments.

By: but
by: ActiveMay 24, 2015 6:51:42 PM

Hopefully they'll be successful at UGA, although I don't think UGA would have taken them first if they didn't have that contract. Then KSU and UGA girls could aid in colonization. SK is colonizing at Indiana soon and that is a huge undertaking so I don't know if either of them will be here anytime soon.

by: 1234May 25, 2015 7:54:03 AM

It is also important to consider what other colonies a group has going on

By: 1234
#9  by: Bama   

Sigma kappa has really been pushing to starting new chapters the past few years.
They'll be at college of charleston, Memphis, university of Alabama- Birmingham, university of south Florida, american university, Oregon, Indiana.
Those were all done this past year. They are really going for the south and I bet they'll be here, or pushing to come, in the next few years.

By: Bama
#10  by: yeah   

i think it'll be sigma kappa. they're a strong house and seem to be very well-liked

By: yeah
by: jgMay 28, 2015 10:01:14 PM

SK is very conservative with expansion and while they've been doing a little more than usual lately, they've got Indiana coming up and will be pouring tons and tons of resources into that colony, especially because of how Indiana's rush is structured

By: jg

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.