facebook

advice

by: PNM

I'm a legacy to a sorority here that has a bad rep and I'm not really into all of the partying so will it hurt me when I am going through rush and the other houses see that I am a legacy to them

Posted By: PNM
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: Dumb q   

No.......

By: Dumb q
#2  by: Active   

Just don't put the legacy information on your information sheets and don't bring it up druing recruitment.

By: Active
#3  by: Okbut   

Just realize that a lot of houses will know your legacy status because of recs that their alumnae sent on you.

By: Okbut
#4  by: Active   

Whether you put it down or not, we will still know. Some houses may cut you others will not. Just try to trust the process!

by: Another pnmApr 27, 2015 3:21:21 PM

Wow. Good thing I like the house where I am a legacy! That would suck to get cut just because of that especially if you really don't click with the legacy house.

By: Another pnm
by: ActiveApr 27, 2015 4:07:19 PM

^ just to clarify, chapters don't cut PNMs because they're legacies to bad houses, they cut them because they're legacies period. I know you said you like your legacy house which is great but make it clear that you're being open minded just so you have options (hopefully).

#5  by: PNM   

So being a legacy is going to hurt my chances in being in a different sorority?

By: PNM
#6  by: Another pnm   

thanks @active. I think I understand. Don't quite see why they would cut a good fit for that reason, but it is a choice they get to make.

By: Another pnm
#7  by: sry 2b obcessing   

Ok. So the OP said that she was a legacy at a house with a bad rep. She seems to be thinking she would not be a fit with that house. Then there are responses on here that some houses cut pnms that are legacies at other houses, but not because the other houses are bad, but just because. But then there is a caveat that a legacy pnm to another house needs to make clear that she is open to a different house (but of course cannot down talk the legacy house....). So... it seems a legacy to a good house that does not fit in at the good house (like, say she is a kappa type but an axo legacy) really might fall through the cracks to the less popular houses just because some of the other more popular houses don't want to risk losing to a rival on bid day?

By: sry 2b obcessing
by: ActiveApr 28, 2015 12:47:16 PM

The reasons we cut legacies to other houses isn't anything against the PNM herself. Like a below poster said, if you have a legacy (an in house legacy to be specific) we're probably going to cut you. Again it's not that we don't like the girl, it's just a way to get numbers down (like cutting girls without recs). If you're a legacy to an out of state school it doesn't matter as much because the chance of them taking you is way lower.

by: ActiveApr 28, 2015 12:49:37 PM

But yes sorry to answer your question you are correct. The girl I stood next to in my rho chi was a huuuge kappa legacy and they cut her right before pref and she ended up in a lower house because the other houses didn't want to waste their time. I mean I'm sure she's happy but it still sucks.

#8  by: Active    

Do not put that you are a legacy on forms that you send to another house. Make it clear to the women who are writing your Recs that you don't want them to write it down because you are keeping your options open--they understand! Sorry, but it we see you're a double XYZ legacy to the alabama chapter, even if you don't feel like you fit there, we are going to assume that you do. That's just the way it works.

by: concerned momMay 2, 2015 10:15:26 AM

What if you are a Kappa Delta legacy and an Alpha Delta Pi legacy? My granddaughter will keep an open mind. She is very interested in other sororities. I hate for her to be dropped because of this. She will have plenty of recs for others. Will this make a difference?

By: concerned mom
by: ActiveMay 2, 2015 6:47:04 PM

Don't put it on the rec or any other information. Tell your daughter to tell her friends that are in sororities at alabama that she's keeping an open mind and she doesn't care too much about legacy, and hope that they listen. That's all you can really do. However, just because you are a legacy to another house doesn't mean you are going to automatically get cut, but she does need to be enthusiastic at all the houses, no matter what time it is, how tired she is, what the weather is like, etc. Recruitment is exhausting and I know that sometimes there are parties where you're just physically and mentally not there, but when you already have something going against you, you ALWAYS need to stay on your game. Your daughter should be fine as long as she does this and meets all the requirements. Every sorority at Alabama is great! She should have a great experience as long as she keeps her mind open

#9  by: Bad advice   

Looks bad nit to list legacy, we always find out. If you aren't interested in your legacy, drop them after IWT.

By: Bad advice
#10  by: Bad advice   

oops .....NOT to list your legacy

By: Bad advice

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.