facebook

Money at Alabama

by: $$

Ok so weird question. Still deciding whether I really want to go to bama. I see tik toks and insta and the sorority girls all look like they have so much money and have designer clothes and fancy cars go on fancy trips etc. I'm from a middle class northern family. Alabama just seems like it has more money than other schools (which is so weird to me as Alabama has the lowest cost of living and is considered the poorest state). So question, will I be so out of place without all the designer clothes and luxury cars etc...I'm so afraid that I will stick out and even though I'm totally fine up here and fit in with everyone but will I look poor down there?

Posted By: $$
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: You're the weird one   

There is so much wrong with this.

First, check your facts before you spout off. Alabama is not "the poorest state". There are actually 7 states with a higher poverty rate, and not all of them are in the south, but guess who is in the top 10 of states with the highest poverty rate? New York. So maybe reconsider what "weird" means.

Second, do you really believe whatever you see on tiktok and insta?

If you can't check facts and think for yourself you have more to worry about than sticking out.

By: You're the weird one
by: wowMar 28, 2024 11:36:25 AM

Wow way to be supportive. We want people to come to the school not to discourage them that people will call them weird when she was already worried about standing out. Try to be positive.

By: wow
by: U r the wrong oneMar 28, 2024 6:31:50 PM

Cite ur source, what source says NY is worst for poverty? According to the US census bureau AL is 8th at 18% poverty. NY is 19th w 13% poverty. College students should know how to find data and make claims based on information from reputable sources. Please don’t embarrass Bama students

By: U r the wrong one
by: @sourcesMar 28, 2024 10:01:14 PM

oh so you’re not a student??? why are you on here then 🙄 thats so embarrassing 😅

By: @sources
by: ?Mar 28, 2024 10:45:32 PM

@sources, learn how to read and critically think. The article talked about NYC NOT New York state. Can’t really compare a city to state. Also the article just talks about how poverty has gone up. It doesn’t say it’s highest in the nation.What’s wrong w u

By: ?
by: y’all are denseMar 29, 2024 12:44:08 AM

you’re right that Alabama isn’t the poorest state but New York isn’t in the top 10 either…it’s really not that hard to verify facts before you type multiple paragraphs.

By: y’all are dense
by: LolApr 1, 2024 8:03:34 PM

I’d rather be poor in NY than Rich in Bama. BAMA IS FOR POOR REDNECKS

By: Lol
#2  by: Facts   

Most of those girls that are showing off designer stuff they get from DHgate. It’s not all real trust me. They come from middle class families. And most of them that drive those fancy cars they’re like 6-10 years old they aren’t brand new. Most of them. Most of the students do drive regular cars. And just because you drive a luxury car doesn’t mean their parents have money.

By: Facts
#3  by: Um   

What PNM would say “lowest cost of living and the poorest state’ …..this is a troll.

By: Um
by: yepMar 28, 2024 2:40:11 PM

exactly

By: yep
by: lmaoMar 29, 2024 12:46:49 AM

one with more than 2 functioning braincells? do you think being a PNM means you have to be stupid

By: lmao
by: $$Mar 29, 2024 6:57:51 AM

@um do you mean to say your parents didn't talk to you about money ever? See my parents spoke to me before I left for Alabama about it. They spoke to me about how living in Alabama is way more affordable than living in the Northeast and other major cities. I loved UA from day one, but some of my northeast friends and friends parents etc. didn't have many good things to say about Alabama just from stereotypes etc. So I do hate to break it to you, Alabama doesn't have a great rep outside of Alabama (not the university just talking about the state).

By: $$
by: OORMar 29, 2024 7:04:37 AM

I’m from OOR and that’s exactly what ppl in other states say about AL. Just like all states there r positives and negatives. I love AL but denying the probs just makes u look dumb.

By: OOR
#4  by: no   

It's a real mixture here. Alabama, Miss, Lousiana, NM, Ark, Kent, Ok, TX, and NY have the highest %s of poverty in the US. I agree with the above poster that a lot of the items are fake. My sorority sister gets all of her stuff off of dhgate and honestly it is so hard to tell the difference between it and the real thing. Many girls borrow and use rent the runway etc too. Some girls that are posting all this stuff and saying where it is from is just for attention. There are so many people here who are from middle class families etc. Many girls are in credit card debt too. Once you leave campus you see really quickly the difference in income. If you really love the school, don't let the thought of money defer you.

By: no
#5  by: Wealthy houses   

PM is probably the wealthiest but there are extremely wealthy girls in every house and also girls from middle income homes in every house.

By: Wealthy houses
#6  by: Me from IL   

Everything everyone is saying about fakes and renting/borrowing is so true!! My family is very much middle class. I have a ton of dupes and just a few designer items. Most of which were big christmas presents or I got them 2nd hand. I drive a '16 jetta, went to FL for spring break and work during the summer for spending money during the school year. The VAST majority of my friends and chapter are more like me in real life!

By: Me from IL
#7  by: Truth    

Here it is….

In any given house, there will be a few girls from families with notable wealth - access to private jets; going with rickets to all “the events”; and the clothes, cars, etc.

There will be a fair number of girls with new European cars and access to a vacation home, etc.

There will be a majority with Moms second hand car, not struggling to pay for dues, go on spring breaks, and travel to a few away games/playoff football games.

There will be some stretched and faking it on student loans. \n\n\n\n\n

By: Truth
#8  by: Hmmmm   

Saying Alabama is a “poor state”’and wondering why there is so much money evident in Greek life here is like noting California has a lot of wealth but wondering why Compton is so poor. It’s is t that “simple”.

And before we go down the path of “no famously wealthy people are here”,
let’s get real, you do not have to be a billionaire to be “wealthy”.

Generally, ten million will do it! And in many’s view of the world, even less.

And, Greek life here is well populated with students from families in those ranks.

I will add, that in comparison to friends in school in other places, especially the north east and mid-west, there is definite tendency to “see it” here: decorated dorm rooms; curated recruitment clothes; extravagant houses; higher dues; better apartments; more trips and travel; grander formals; nicer cars; gym memberships and spa days. And, despite some comments - most of it is for real.

So if you are easily jealous, or thinking you’ll “look wealthier” in this ”poor state”, you’re in for a big surprise when you get here! \n\n\n\n\n

By: Hmmmm
#9  by: ?    

Definitely not that simple. I agree Alabama is a very showy school. Before coming here my parents gave me a credit card for emergencies. My emergencies included goldens , wardrobe from revolve, etc. I felt like I needed those things to fit in. My friends in the north did not feel that pressure. I don’t feel that way anymore as I stopped caring but in the beginning everything was about money . I found true friends and “normal” kids whose parents are like no way we have money but you have none so get a job lol. So I just always hope new students learn faster than I did

By: ?
by: AgreeApr 3, 2024 6:49:33 PM

I totally agree. Ppl in the north have more money, they just don’t show it off as much.

By: Agree

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.