facebook

fall rush - sororities

by: pnm

How difficult / bad/ hard would rush be without recommendations? I don't exactly have much access to getting any, let alone good ones, and I don't think it's really fair to make a judgment on a girl b/c she couldn't get recs.

Posted By: pnm
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: usc   

Recs barely matter I had no recs and I preffed two top tier houses

By: usc
#2  by: same   

I didn't have one rec and I made two top tier houses as well. If you look at it this way, what is getting a rec from someone who doesn't even know you really going to do for you? nothing. because they really can't speak about your character which is what we want to know about.

By: same
#3  by: ...   

At some SEC schools, you won't get past first round without them. I've heard the same about USC, and everyone I personally know in any USC sorority, had them. But some people on this site say they aren't needed, while others say they are. Also there are people who think they didn't have recs, but really did. Sometimes people will send their info to alumnae groups, but not hear anything back and just assume nobody did a rec when actually someone did. That happens too. If you know sorority alumnae who will give you a personal recommendation, I wouldn't turn it down. USC is competitive and getting more so. That being the case, I'd go with those who say they are needed or advised instead of those who say they aren't. Cover all your bases. Ask teachers, neighbors, parent's friends, friends moms and every woman you know who went to college if she was in a sorority.

But why do you say you couldn't get "good" recs? If there's something about you or something you've done that would keep alumnae who know you from giving you a good rec, and there are girls in USC sororities who know you from home and what the deal is, that could be a bigger problem than anything. Also, alumnae can send in "no recs," meaning they let sororities know they don't advise bidding someone. Hopefully, you just worded that funny and it doesn't mean your reputation or character could be an issue. Good luck.

By: ...
#4  by: truth   

Recs are so not necessary. So many people told me I'd need them because I was from the north but I preffed two top tiers with no recs, legs, etc. so seriously don't worry about that!

By: truth
#5  by: recs help!!   

you don't need them but they can help you!!

By: recs help!!
#6  by: Rec Source   

I would try to get them. For a girl that no one knows, it can be a tie-breaker (at least early on). Google "Panhellenic Alumnae Association Charleston" or whatever bigger city you are closest to. There are some alums who will just talk with you over the phone, then ask you to send them a copy of your recruitment packet. Others might want to meet in person. However, I can say I did not personally know most of the women who wrote my recs (though most were friends with my mom or aunt).

By: Rec Source
#7  by: recruiter   

Sometimes you're better off without them. I tried to get them just to have them but I didn't have one for the house I joined. I think some houses take them into consideration a lot more strongly than others but they will notice you if you are someone they want. I wouldn't stress about it. It's not worth your time. Go through recruitment being yourself and just have fun! Good luck!

By: recruiter

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.